Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-25-2008, 06:11 PM   #1  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Default Weight Loss "Rules" - Which Do You Not Use?

Another thread about the "don't eat right before bed" rule brought this topic to mind. There are tons of "rules" out there about weight loss, how you should do it, etc...everything from drinking 8 glasses of water a day, to not eating between meals, to skipping dessert, to eating smaller portions. We talk a lot here at 3FC about how we're all different, and what works for one of us may not work for another. In the spirit of that, which "rules" do you NOT follow?

I don't...

Skip dessert! I just make it healthier and low-cal, or buy something portion controlled. I love my dessert.

Set a "cutoff" time for eating. I usually eat something right before bed (and it is usually the dessert mentioned above)

Eat smaller portions the majority of the time (at least, for anything I cook at home). I cook differently so that the foods I eat have less calories for BIG portions...I don't do hungry!

What rules don't work for YOU?
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:27 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

I never eat low or no fat foods... I just don't like them I just use less of the real stuff, I still put cream in my coffee...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:27 PM   #3  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I don't do cut off times either. I'm also not a slave to the 5-6 small meals concept. I mean, sometimes I do, but a lot of times I'm just a 3-squares kinda gal.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:29 PM   #4  
Mel

I eat large portions of foods too. Big salads of mixed greens, spinach, shredded carrots, with a portion of lean chicken breast, turkey, or turkey chili on top. I like to eat big, so my foods are not calorie-dense.

I have no time cut-off, either. Often, I'm so hungry by 9 pm that I know I won't get to sleep and I won't have any energy to get up early to do my workout. Before bed I usually have a little bit of cottage cheese mixed with a few tablespoons of Danon Fit and Light yogurt. That's my version of dessert.

Other than that, I have lots of self-imposed rules that work for me. Lots of food that I just don't go near because it would be day over after one bite

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:36 PM   #5  
Meg

Diet rules that I break:

Moderation: I don't do "all things in moderation". Many, many foods are on my personal forbidden list. For me, some foods ARE bad.

Coffee/caffeine; I drink a pot of coffee a day.

Diet soda: Just try to pry it out of my fingers.

Food variety: Nope, I eat pretty much the same food every day, for years at a time. My Fitday has 10 - 15 "recent food" that are pretty much all I eat.

Not feeling guilty after a slip/not beating oneself up: Actually, fear of regain and guilt are two of my most useful emotions for weight maintenance. I never want to lose the guilt. For me, forgiving myself for messing up is the first step to regain.

Hm, I'm sure I can think of more ...
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:45 PM   #6  

wow I saw ur before and after pics and also read your story, AMAZING. I don't even know you, but I must say I'm proud of you. I also decided to shed some pounds. Hope you mind if I asked for a lil encouragement once in a while.
Thickmadame
Thickmadame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:46 PM   #7  
Made of Starstuff

What a cute thread... never really thought about this specifically ^^

Hrm. What "rule" am I okay with not following?

"Watch your sodium intake." In horrible honesty, I don't look at sodium at all.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:48 PM   #8  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thickmadame View Post
wow I saw ur before and after pics and also read your story, AMAZING. I don't even know you, but I must say I'm proud of you. I also decided to shed some pounds. Hope you mind if I asked for a lil encouragement once in a while.
Thickmadame
Thickmadame and congratulations on your decision to get fit and healthy. You've found the best place on the web for support and encouragement, so post a lot and let us get to know you!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

* I have no cut off time for food, I've always eaten a later dinner and then a snack after dinner if I really want it

* I don't drink lots of water, just 2 glasses a day, usually (lots of tea though)

* I don't exercise as much as I should (although this is one rule, I need to follow!)

* I eat tons and tons of carbs (whole grains and sweet potatoes, mostly)

* I don't eat a lot of sugar free or fat free products

* I only weigh once a week

* I also completely ignore sodium (but I have very low blood pressure and don't eat a lot of packaged foods)

* I don't do moderation, I literally can not open a package eat 2 cookies and stop, I just don't have a cookie (I do have desserts/treats in carefully controlled situations - like splitting in a restaurant)

* I gave up a lot of foods forever - soda, fast foods, fried foods, packaged baked goods, cream-based sauces
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:05 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Diet soda: Just try to pry it out of my fingers.
[Charlton Heston] FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS! [/Charlton Heston]

Me too, I need my diet soda
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:06 PM   #11  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I don't watch my sodium either. I try to keep packaged foods at a minimum, and have no blood pressure issues. If it becomes an issue, maybe I'll do something about it.

I also keep my diet sodas and coffee...you can't have em!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:06 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 233/see ticker/133

Height: 5'3''

I was just talking about this topic with my SIL. I break a lot of the same "rules" I don't drink water. I always snack at night. It is still my favorite time to eat. After I put the kids to bed, I sit down for my yummy night time snack that I love so much! Which means I also break the rule of comfort eating! I do exercise portion control with a lot of foods, But I can eat 2 cups of veggies at time with my portion controlled dinner. Sometimes it is too much food and I can't finish! Almost nothing is off limits. I even drink some of my calories by having very creamy coffee!! But it all works for me!! I do have to watch my sodium, though. Jelly
jellybelly06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:21 PM   #13  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

I love this thread! It's like I can share what I thought were my "dirty little secrets" with no shame.

I drink coffee everday...with cream!

I drink almost no water (not proud of that).

I need aspartame or splenda to survive.

I have dessert every day after dinner (always allow for those calories...it keeps me sane!)

I cannot fully give up frozen entrees...although I do read the labels carefully.

Every now and then I have to really let loose...have a burger and fries or pizza. Otherwise, life's just not worth living

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:29 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I don't drink a lot of water

I don't watch sodium at all

I have no "cut off" time before I go to bed

I drink diet pop daily and tea & coffee with sweet & low

I do not have ONE forbidden food

I cooked maybe 3 or 4 times last year (and on the rare occasion I do cook, it's definitely not healthy)

I eat a lot of frozen dinners

I still eat fast food

I don't always order the healthy option at restaurants

I don't journal or use fitday at all (I did at the beginning -- it lasted a couple of weeks; I keep my rough calorie count in my head)
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:35 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 233/see ticker/133

Height: 5'3''

I forgot about aspartame sweetner! I couldn't get through a day with out it!!!!! Jelly
jellybelly06 is offline   Reply With Quote