Old 01-24-2008, 09:23 AM   #1  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Default Tlc

With the writers' strike in Hollywood, there's significantly LESS to watch on tv, so I found myself watching TLC's "My Shocking Story: Too young to be so fat" about obese teens. I wanted to cry for these kids!!

I wasn't a fat kid, we were always out running and riding bikes and playing - i didn't get a bit "thick" til high school, and then got fat when I lived by myself - without Mom's awesome healthy cooking, and Mom's policy of no junk food in the house LOL. This poor 13 year old girl weighed 320 pounds, was squished into too small clothing, and her mother didn't seem to be around very much (she had a night job so she couldn't help that...) and the girl had this ridiculous idea that liposuction was going to suck out all of her fat and she was going to be as hot as girls in magazines. so unrealistic, but a doctor was going to do the surgery - but her iron levels were too low and it couldn't happen. The other part of the story was a camp where the teens could go to learn healthy habits of eating & exercise.

Did anyone else watch? What did you think? I wonder what's going to happen to that girl
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:29 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Sounds like other issues need to be addressed before she goes rushing into surgery like liposuction... most liposuction doctors even say it's more to help people with problem areas. It doesn't treat things overall... and it certainly won't help the poor girl learn the proper way to take care of her health.

I feel for her.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:53 AM   #3  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

A month ago I was watching True Life: I'm Obese. One teen male who wanted WLS, one female who had some skin issue and was getting WLS, and another who was a plus size model who was perfectly fine. Okay, the WLS female was in my opinion an excellent canidate. She seemed willing to change and that her life was going to change permanantly. Whereas the other fella, wouldn't even try loosing weight at his current size. He'd say to the camera, "My mom wants me to try now to but I'm not. I'm going to have WLS and I'll be able to eat whatever I want." Or something like that. Either way, he came off like he didn't want to try at a healthy lifestyle which is key for WLS. He just wanted an easy fix. It made me so angry. I just hate it when people don't put their mind to it. I don't think he ever really tried and he's not using WLS as a tool not a solution. That story reminds me of this.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:00 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I was a fat teenager. 300 lbs at age 14. I had plenty of mom's healthy cooking and we never had junk food, processed food, sugary drinks, etc. I just ate too much of what we did have. I was dragged from doctor to doctor, nutritionist to nutritionist from the age of 10 or so. It never helped any unfortunately. I was also very active, participated in a track club (don't ask how, I don't know), did cheerleading workouts, did ballet and tap, rode my bike, walked every where, swam every day during summer, etc. I even started doing weights in my mid teens and joined a gym.

It did suck to be a morbidly obese teenager.

Last edited by nelie; 01-24-2008 at 10:01 AM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote