Old 01-23-2008, 08:29 AM   #1  

Default discouraged-why is weight loss so slow!

Hi,

I started healthy eating on January 1st (how original!) I've only lost 8.5 lbs. I feel like it's going to take forever to reach my goal. I'm eating about 1700 calories a day, and exercising five days a week. I couldn't exercise the first two weeks of the year because I was sick.

I don't really want to cut my calories back, because I'm afraid I"ll get too hungry, which will lead to bingeing and giving up. I need to eat in a way I can keep up the rest of my life. I don't want to feel like I'm "on a diet" because that always backfires on me.

Am I expecting too much too soon? It seems like most people have really good losses the first month or so, but it's not happening for me.

Thanks for listening to my whining!
Sherry

Last edited by suzie76; 01-23-2008 at 09:53 AM.
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

You have lost 8.5 pounds in 3 weeks? What are you complaining about? That is an excellent loss, better than average in fact.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:43 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 293/296.6/150

Height: 6'

Hi Sherry,

I think 8.5lbs in 3 weeks is great! If anything it's a bit too much. 2lbs a week is usually cited as a healthy rate of weight loss.

Hang in there, you're doing great!
Jolly Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:44 AM   #4  
Doing it for my future!!!

S/C/G: 280/278/145

Height: 5'5"

8.5 lbs. since the first of the month!!! I'd say that's pretty awesome!!! Hey, this is how I look at it, it took me years to put the weight on, it'll take awhile to take it off. But, when you look at it, most people around here reach their weightloss goals in about 1-2 years, so compare 1-2 years of your life, to years it took to put it in (well personally for me) that's considered a small amount of time. Also, anything difficult and worth having and fighting for is going to take time, so sit back and enjoy the ride, lol!
OptimistK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:46 AM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Yes, Sherry, you do need a reality check! You're doing fine! There is no "only" about it!

You didn't gain all the weight in 3 weeks, and you won't lose it all in 3 weeks either. Don't get discouraged! Just keep on going the way you have been! You'll get there! Hang with it!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:52 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/198.2/150

Height: 5'5

I have dieted my whole life and this is the first time where I KNOW I will do this forever. The difference? Like you, I'm not on a diet....I've just changed the way I eat. I make healthy choices now and eat lot's of good food. I usually eat 1400 - 1600 calories a day. That is the amount that keeps me perfectly satisfied throughout the day. That's why I know I'll be able to do this forever. Before, when I was "dieting", I would only "allow" myself to eat whatever the "diet" said I could eat. I would spend the day obsessing over when I could have a diet ice cream pop, or how many "points" I had left. It was craziness. Now, I eat only whole foods and I feel full throughout the day by making good choices. Instead of eating a diet ice cream, now I eat ff yogurt with some fresh fruit. I stay full longer and I feel SO healthy. I lose about a pound a week, and I'm fine with that.

It sounds like you are doing great. You didn't say how much weight you have to lose, but you are well on your way. Keep us posted.
missingmyerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:55 AM   #7  
vek

S/C/G: 203/ticker/180

Height: 5ft2"

Yeah, I lost more pounds than that since the beginning of the year but I was almost starving. With a diet under 1000cal1day, wich is not healthy. And it's not healthy to loose too fast eather. The skin doesn't have time to addapt if you lose weight too fast.
Me, personally, I will slow down a bit and increase the calorie intake per day. I slim down for myself, not for other people, so I don't have to prove anything to anyone. So, I better listen to my body and let it do it's job in the time it needs to do the job. I'm not in a hurry, I don't intend to enroll for Miss Universe next week, so, to **** with slimming down like a turbo jet!
vek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:56 AM   #8  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I'd have to agree...I think you are doing awesome!! It's hard when we watch other people and the weight literally just "drops" off, but you don't know what they are doing to make that happen. Sometimes they are drastically cutting their calories and sometimes they just have really good metabolism.

You are so right about needing to do something that you are going to be able to stick to for life. That is the key.

There is 1 thing that might help. Weight Lifting. Are you currently doing any strength training? When you build muscle, you increase the amount of calories you burn. That would be something you could add without cutting additional calories.

Just keep doing what you are doing and you'll have continued success!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:59 AM   #9  

Hi,

Thank you for the encouragement. I appreciate it so much. I am just being impatient! I read the success stories where some of have lost weight very quickly-guess I'm jealous (hanging head in shame!) I can't stick to very low calorie eating. It does not work for me, especially since I exercise a lot.

I think I have about 75-80lbs to lose (ack!) I'm not sure of my goal weight. I'm five feet, eight inches tall. Five years ago I lost sixty lbs (from a starting weight of 256) When I got to 196, I actually looked much smaller because of the exercise.

I'm hypothyroid, and my metabolism stinks. It's a real struggle for me.

Thanks!
Sherry

ETA-Sandi, we posted at the same time (hi!) Yes, I strength train one to two times a week.

Last edited by suzie76; 01-23-2008 at 09:00 AM.
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:03 AM   #10  
Made of Starstuff

Just agreeing with everyone else

You've now got 8 less pounds to lose ^^ Truly, hang in there.

Edit:
I like the success stories as inspiration, but not as comparison. Some have lost quickly, some slowly, some a lot of weight, some only a few pounds. We're all different. We're all going to lose differently. It can be difficult, but you have to compare yourself to your earlier self. Are you already feeling better? More energetic? Proud that your making changes? These are the things to consider. Not to mention we all, even those who lose more quickly, have struggles.

Edit Edit:
I wasn't sure what my "final goal" would be when I first began either. I just knew it was time for some extra weight to go. If you don't have a "final" goal, yet, no worries! Maybe making small goals like 5 lbs or 10 lbs will at least be something for you to not only look forward to, but feel very achievable. And that way you won't automatically feel so overwhelmed by the total of how much you're going to lose. That's what helped me start out

Last edited by Lovely; 01-23-2008 at 09:12 AM.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:06 AM   #11  
is baaaad to the bone!

S/C/G: 145!

Height: 5'8"

Sherry - feel free to join us in "That 70's Show" Forum - losing 70'ish lbs. - we are a great group and you will find lots of encouragement there. We are under Miscellaneous Clubs.
SunshineRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:11 AM   #12  
Turning it around...

S/C/G: 215/see slider/145

Height: 5'5

Keep it up--you're doing great

Last edited by Jaelini; 01-23-2008 at 09:11 AM. Reason: typo
Jaelini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:50 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 206/194.5/135

Height: 5'5"

Suzie...they say some people lose quickly at first and taper off..while others start slower and then it just falls off. 8.5 is wonderful hun....at least you're not putting that amount on right?
Kristine612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:55 AM   #14  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I know it's disheartening, especially when you're working your butt off -- but as cliched as it sounds, slow & steady wins the race!! and if you just keep your head down and barrell right on thru, you'll be thinking "how did i lose 50 pounds??" The time will pass regardless, and for me -- i'd much rather be at the end of this year having lost even 10 pounds, rather than nothing or gaining !
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:50 AM   #15  
No description available.

8 pounds is great! Congratulations! I think that if you have a plan you can live with, stick with it.

I have found two things to be true.
1) Other people's pregnancies go by much faster than your own and
2) Other people's weight loss goes faster than your own.

These are both perceptions that may or may not be true. :-) We see tickers plummet over the months, but we are not there on a daily basis when that person works through each day with exercise and health foods. We just see the result and it is easy to think it was fast and easy for others.

I've only lost 6 pounds since the beginning of Jan. I'm jealous of you!!! Not really---I'm proud of you. Each journey is unique and what is important is that you are losing. It will happen. Take comfort and joy in the process of it. That is what you can control.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote