South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 11:08 PM   #1  

Default How much weight loss with exercise and without?

I'm curious to see where I fit in with this group of SB'ers.

1. Do you work out regularly? If so, what is your routine?
2. If you work out, how much weight loss do you average?
3. If you don't work out, how much weight loss do you average?
Old 01-21-2008, 11:38 PM   #2  

Default We all Fit!!!

Hi Mellie!!!

Welcome, I am restarting everything all over again recently but I have been a member on and off for a few years, and no matter where I have posted around here you won't find a better group of people!!

I find I have a real problem with exercising....I am lazy!!
But I usually get at least two days in with my mother at the local Y, swimming. She is crippled up and swimming is about all she can handle. So we do about an hour of light swimming those days, we used to do more but she is getting worse and its a big ordeal to get her to and from, I dont get home until 10 to 12 at night.... so the next day I dont feel like doing anything!!!

Listen to me whine!!!!! I plan on trying to fit in some more on my own..... my problem seems to be all or nothing... If I would just do one day, and let that be it things would be fine, but in my head I have to do three or four days so if I dont do it all, I stop.

So what do you do?
Old 01-22-2008, 12:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 222.8/213.8/145

Height: 5'1

I don't exercise either! I know, shame on me, but I've always had an 'all or nothing' view toward exercise in the past and I would totally wear myself out, eventually leading toward failure.

So, now I just focus on following my diet and losing weight slowly. =)
Old 01-22-2008, 07:19 AM   #4  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

I am a firm believer that eating right and exercising go together in order to get the best results. As for myself I was working out 5-6 days a week twice a day for 30-60 minutes ech time. My weight loss began to slow/stall and no exercise for the past two weeks my doc says no and I still have one week left before I can slowly bring it back in. Ny doc says that my body never got a chance to rest and that once I slowly incorporate it back in I will begin to see the results - we shall see.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:58 AM   #5  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

1. Do you work out regularly? If so, what is your routine? I'm kind of the workout fanatic of the group. We don't have a car here, so we have to walk everywhere. Plus, I am training for this marathon so I run a fair amount. I also like to do yoga and I get to at least one class per week. I also do a toning video every weekday at home.

2. If you work out, how much weight loss do you average? I've been up and down the same ten pounds for about six months, but I haven't always been very good about staying on plan. If I didn't exercise, though, I know I would've gained more!

3. If you don't work out, how much weight loss do you average? It would be hard for me to not work out. I was a gymnast all the way through college so working out is just life for me. For the last ten years of my gymnastics "career", I was at the gym at least four hours a day Monday through Friday, so what I do now doesn't feel like a whole heck of a lot.

Kara
Old 01-22-2008, 08:15 AM   #6  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

I don't really exercise, if I feel like doing something I do. But I know that is what is slowing down my results right now. So tonight I am going to try Latin line dancing. I need to find stuff that I like to do. But I am going to start training for a half marthon. I am going to walk it though. I just can't get into running. I am hoping after I do the walking one I will want to try my feet at running.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:29 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

I am also lazy. For the first 3 mos. I was on SBD, I averaged a 2 lb./wk loss without any exercise to speak of. Then I started walking. i walk the kids to and from school each weekday, for a total of 2 miles/day. My loss has definitely slowed, and I know I need to add more exercise if I want to keep losing, and also to firm things up. I've started using my friends bowflex with her, and ordered some Walk Away the Pounds DVDs from the library. I'm going to keep trying things until I find something I like and can stick with.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:00 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEARCHING4ME View Post
So what do you do?
Well, it depends. I have a 21 month old son and a 3 month old son, in addition to a 9 year old stepson. Plus, I stay at home in the mornings and work very part time in the afternoons outside the home. So basically, I'm struggling to MAKE THE TIME to get in an organized exercise routine. I have a really nice treadmill and an amazing weight bench/freeweight/cage setup in the basement (thanks to my husband) but between the baby not sleeping through the night yet and being completely exhausted after they boys go to bed, I never seem to get down there.

I ran track in high school and was in amazing shape. I do enjoy running, I just get bored while I'm doing it. It's too cold in WI during the winter to run outside - the high today is 0 degrees - and I'm always terrified I'll slip and fall.

So basically I have lots of excuses to justify not working out. I want to restart a couch to 5k plan. I want my DH to put together a weight training routine for me. It just never seems to happen.

I was hoping to hear that most people are getting more weight loss when they exercise to motivate me to make the effort. I'm actually surprised to find out that I'm way more normal than I thought!
Old 01-22-2008, 10:26 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 164/156/123

Height: 5'2

I, too am lazy. But my husband (I call him Coach) and I try to walk at least 30 minutes after work every night.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 275/202/140

Height: 5'2"

I do Curves every morning before work and I try to walk or do a walk viedoor soemthing at least one day on the weekend, we bowl every other Sunday. Occasionaly in the evening I'll use my weighted hula hoop for 15 minutes at a time along with a variety of moves with 5 lb weights. I try to do this 3-4 nights a week.

I feel this has been a great help in my weight loss, and kept me fom gaining when I wasn't staying on plan a big part of last year. With that being said though, the scales are not moving as much as I had hope for since I started SB. I'm currently on day 2 of Ph2. I lost 3 lbs the first week and nothing the 2nd, so I don't know how my exercising is affecting my loss.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:17 PM   #11  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I try to walk on the treadmil at least 30 min 3x week, but once I'm on it, I usually go 45-60 min with a good magazine. I think it greatly helps with the weight loss, plus I feel wonderful afterwards!
Old 01-22-2008, 05:21 PM   #12  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Okay, I have a confession - I hate to exercise. Every night I drag myself out there wondering when that exercise high people talk about will kick in. So far I still hate exercise. We have a treadmill, an elliptical (not a very good one), a balance ball, a new mini trampoline, and I have quite a few videos. I try to work out no less than 30 minutes and as much as 2 hours every day. I usually mix it up - 1/2 hour of aerobic machine and 1/2 hour dvd and every day the combo is a little different. I get bored easily I'm really looking forward to longer, warmer days so I can get outside and walk though.

It's made a big difference in my weight loss so far. My body shape is really different than it's ever been. I'm comfortably wearing a size 12, which I've never done. I also feel better all day - more energy, less aches most days. I do have 2 herniated disks so I've had to experiment with exercise combinations. Early on I did too much of the wrong stuff and would put myself out of commission for days at a time. Even though I hate it I miss it on days I don't work out. Go figure
Old 01-22-2008, 06:49 PM   #13  

Height: 5' 7"

If I do not get a work out in- I don't feel as good- I try to work out 5-6 days a week- I have Turbo Jam Series several different types and I love the high energy and feel great afterwards. If I can't do that I try to get a walk in.

My weight loss been good on plan for phase 2 is usually only .5 to 1 lbs a week but I know that working out does help.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:22 AM   #14  
Visualizing the Goal

Cyndi, Tom struggles with herniated disks, too. His physical therapist told him to stretch his hamstrings every day and to strengthen his abs and both of those things have helped, although he still has those weird reach-down-to-grab-something-OUCH moments from time to time. It takes him much less time to recuperate, though. He also started taking martial arts this year and hasn't had a back issue since he began the class! He and Connor do Tang Soo Do, which is a Korean martial art - one of those ancient ones based on actual military training. It's a linear martial art - I don't know how circular ones like Hapkido would be for your back... Tom used to be so bad that he literally couldn't stand on his feet for too long or he'd be in large amounts of pain.

Hope that helps a little!

Kara

Last edited by tomandkara; 01-23-2008 at 01:22 AM.
Closed Thread