Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-21-2008, 10:37 AM   #1  

Height: 5'3"

Default Spinning Class

I just got back into the gym, but I would really like to start attending a class for some motivation and I think it would be fun. Anyway, I've always wanted to try the spinning class and I know everyone says how incredibly difficult it is. Even my best friend who is a college volleyball player says it is a very challenging class. Anyway, what do you all think about the spinning classes here? And for beginners? I mean, you can go at your own pace... right?
Nevaeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:45 AM   #2  
Image isn't Character

S/C/G: 278(54%BF)/180(10%)/175(8%)

Height: 5'8"

I love spinning, it's really a great workout. And, yes, it can be HARD. I go at my own pace if I need to though, that's fine. I'm a dude though, so sometimes people just think I'm a perv. But I just keep going and working hard and being quiet and then people realize that I'm actually just there to work out...go figure
griffogrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #3  

The gym I go to teaches you what heart rate zones or perceived effort you should be at so you can go at your own pace. For the first class just try to get through it, and they are usually doing intervals so you'll know when to push it and when not to. Enjoy. Take some water and wear some cool clothes, you'll sweat. A towel if they don't provide them. No loose pants, you don't want it to get caught in the bike.

Last edited by MissGiggles; 01-21-2008 at 11:57 AM.
MissGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #4  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

You can absolutely go at your own pace. If there aren't classes at your gym for beginners, make sure you tell the instructor that you're new. He/she should be able to help you get the bike set up right. Then you can still do what you can. Just because they said to turn the knob higher or go at a certain RPM's doesn't really matter. Or if you're doing a "standing climb" and your legs are tired, just sit. Definitely give it a try!

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:55 PM   #5  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I recommend getting there a little early for your first class so you can have the instructor help you get your bike set up. The instructors at my gym usually tell the new people not to add any resistance during their first time. The goal for that first class is to just get a feel for the bike and what you can do; you can add resistance next time. And everyone goes at their own pace; no one but you knows if you are really adding resistance. There are people at all levels of fitness in the spin classes at my gym, from beginners to the superfit. If you find yourself having to rest, I'm sure you won't be the only one.

And I echo what Giggles says...definitely bring some water and a towel and don't wear anything too warm.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:34 PM   #6  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm in training to teach spin - and I see you got some very good advice above.

The point about getting there early is key - this time of year there are tons of newbies (10 minutes early is plenty). No one can tell how much resistance you have on, just go at your own pace. Get a feel for the bike. Hopefully the instructor gives tips on form, try not to lean on the handlebars and feel free to sit down when you are breathing too hard. Everyone was a beginner at one time.

Water and towel are important, I also try and find a bike near a fan.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:11 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I go to spin class a couple times a week and it's an awesome workout as the others said. All good advice as well. The one thing I would caution you against at first are the standing run/sprints. When you do this you're supporting your weight on your bent legs and your quads will be burning! Try only doing it part of the time or increasing the resistance and slowing your pace a little bit. I'd also recommend getting a pair of shoes with SPD cleats instead of using your athletic shoes once you know if you like it. You can buy them at bike shops like www.performancebike.com or www.bikenashbar.com or sometimes sporting goods stores will have them.

Last edited by stacylambert; 01-26-2008 at 02:11 AM.
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote