Old 01-21-2008, 04:50 PM   #1  
Blue Team Member

S/C/G: 297/229/150

Height: 5'5/168cm

Default burning off the mistakes.. what do you think?

Hey ok i have been bad.... lol on saturday i took the kids swimming at my parents house and we swam for 5 hours (the pool is heated and undercover so heaps of fun ( i did 100 laps and hours of emu ride ect with the kids they are 7 and 3 so want me the entire time as the pool is deep both ends. i burned off heaps of calories.. more then i ate for the entire day .. but . It left me starving hungry on sunday.. its didnt matter what i ate i just couldn't feel full .. i didnt eat anything too bad but i went over my calorie limit. and yesturday i was just stupid got angry with my hubby and ate his chocolate lol to be a B*tch but it was 181 cals with out which i would have been fine

I like to stick to 1800-1900 calories . sunday was 2168 and yesturday was 2042.
So my plan is to burn off the chocolate, which on the calcultor means and extra 20 minute on the elliptical today ..
My theory is if i have to burn it off then i wont do it next time... lol.. any of you ever tried this..
I love my elliptical so its not a chore but its kinda a punishment lol.. i would usually go on it at midday and watch supernanny while im on it .. today im gonna get on it earlier while the crappy morning shows are on to do the 20 minutes beofre super nanny .. the punishment is the crap that will be on when i exercise not the exercise itself as i enjoy that lol..
but in the end it means i do 1 hour 20 minutes of exercise today .. and i have to change all the beds and do 3 loads of washing fun hey lol.. im gonna sleep well tonight..

So any of you cheat and then work it off. i hope it will stop me from cheating next time.. what do you think?
amouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

I had a coworker once who would do this. I worked at a TV station and she would do jumping jacks behind the camera during commercial breaks. I used to threaten I'd let my hand slip and put her on the air on accident. Her weakness was snickers bars. She calculated how long she would have to work out extra to burn off the calories and it worked for her because I think she may have had 2 that she worked off and then didn't mess with them. It's been almost 10 years since I've seen her so I don't know if it worked in the long-term or how she's doing but I know it helped her then.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:39 PM   #3  
Blue Team Member

LMAO at the girl that did it in the add breaks.. that is great.. i would defiantly have turned that camera around lol.. could gone on funny behind the scenes shows.. lol. what the TV crew really gets up to in the add breaks..
Old 01-21-2008, 06:45 PM   #4  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Anything that encourages you to workout more and burn more calories is a very good thing! Which is not to say that you should over indulge again...no excuses, right?
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:52 PM   #5  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

ugh I think there's something in the air today!!! I had a mental breakdown I think LOL, I've been doing great but today I had a dairy queen small cone AND an individual sized bag of potato chips and now i feel queasy!!!

yuck, i need my head examined!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:54 PM   #6  
low carbin' it

S/C/G: ~256/153.5/154

Height: 5'6

I would think there is a danger in that because you can't be sure how much you are burning, etc. Of course more exercise is always good. I believe in proactive action instead of reactive. This is reactive, it's better to clean up your behavior but really whatever it works for you. If you find that it keeps you from doing it again and again, then it's a good thing. IF you find your doing it everyday, I suspect pretty soon, the eating will become the habit and the exercise will be the victim of, I just didn't have time or whatever.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:49 PM   #7  
Blue Team Member

I usually do pretty good and find staying in or below my cls pretty easy to do but i slipped up but oh well no harm done really i fixed it lol.. i did usually do 30 minute elliptical then 30 minutes aerobics but today i stayed on the elliptical and went for 80 minutes oprah was on and it was a great story about hiding veges in kids food with jerry sienfelds wife and then dr oz and i was enjoying it when it was finished i realised i had been on the trainer for 80 minutes and gone 20 kms
Old 01-22-2008, 12:03 AM   #8  
Becoming myself

S/C/G: 294/233/180

Height: 5'9"

It's a slippery slope, IMHO. There is a disorder called "exercise bulimia", and it's basically what you're describing. Be careful with that.
sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:18 AM   #9  
Made of Starstuff

I've done similar things. Maybe once or twice a month I've eaten a little too much, so I add in 15-20 minutes of exercise. Nothing I feel was overboard, just something to soften the blow... also to remind myself that eating & exercising is all connected and that I can't just eat whatever/whenever I want. I think that as long as it's not done to excess it's a perfectly normal thing to do.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:57 AM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

This is a really bad habit to get into. Eventually it turns around so that a person deliberately overeats, thinking they'll just exercise it off. But then sooner or later they overeat so much that there is no way to exercise it off, or they just get "too tired" to exercise, so they skip it--and the next thing that happens is that the pounds have come back on. Usually we then see these folks posting here saying "I can't figure out why I'm not losing!"

So I'd say, stop overeating, and stop thinking that if you just exercise more, it will all be OK. Stick with both your food plan and your exercise plan!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:39 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I try very, very hard not to think of food (or food-related activities) in terms of rewards and punishments. For me, thinking of food as a reason to punish myself, or thinking of food as a reward for good behavior, takes away from having a having a healthy attitude about eating. And that's one of the things that's really important to me - not only to eat healthy, but to be mentally healthy when it comes to eating.
LisaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:40 PM   #12  
Blue Team Member

ok girls i get it bad habit to start , i havent done it before i was just feeling guilty so wanted to try to undo it.. next time i will just be more careful .. I dont see myself getting stupid with food or exercise i have 2 kids im trying to teach to be healthy and my daughter has bad food allergies ( food additives) so the only bad thing in this house really is the chocolate .. and thats gone now so temptation gone.. lol If it had been the kids choc i would not have touched it but it was my hubbys and he was being an ***.. STUPID i know but i have to say i enjoyed it lol..
Old 01-22-2008, 05:53 PM   #13  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I think occasionally eating a little extra and going over the calorie budget isn't a mortal sin I think that it's a not a good thing to make a habit of, but it's not a big deal as an isolated incident. Mindfulness and accountability are important qualities (and skills really) to cultivate, and you are doing that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post
ugh I think there's something in the air today!!! I had a mental breakdown I think LOL, I've been doing great but today I had a dairy queen small cone AND an individual sized bag of potato chips and now i feel queasy!!!

yuck, i need my head examined!
Hey, that is a relatively small slip-up, in the bigger picture! Think of it this way- You used portion control, had appropriate serving sizes, and even still you realize that you could have made even better choices. That sounds like progress to me!

Last edited by SoulBliss; 01-22-2008 at 07:53 PM.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:56 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Hm. I think I have a different perspective fro meveryone else here.

You WORKED OUT HARD on Saturday. Hours in the pool - both swimming and playing. And the next day you were hungry.

I think that's NORMAL and you shouldn't feel bad about eating a little more. It's possible that you put your body into a bit of a calorie deficit with all of Saturday's activity. So your body is trying to regulate that.

If you had run a marathon on the Saturday, would people be still having the same reaction to you going 200 cals over your goal for those two days?

Now the question is: did you indulge that need for more food with JUNK or did you eat lots of protein and veggies to sate yourself?

I think if you were to have gone over your calories after a day of very continuous, vigorous exercise, it would be perfectly normal and not something you'd necessarily need to "make up" for the next day.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 01-22-2008 at 08:57 PM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:12 PM   #15  
Blue Team Member

sunday i ate no junk just more foios monday i just ate the choc that was bad otherwise i was fine . i like your point though . i also believe i went over on sunday because of the day beofre but my problem was the chocolate on monday and that is all i worked off i usually do 1 hour a day of exercise yesturday did 1 hour and 20 minutes to make myself feel better about the cheating lol.. if however i had had choc and not gone over my limit i wouldn't give a second thought about it .. if i have my nutritional needs i will have a treat and not feelg guilty.. its all about atying below my limit 1900 . but on the same token i try not to go to far under that too . Im not a silly teenagers trying to get skinny quick.. im doing it right making sure my body is getting all the vitamins it needs (via fitday very handy) and occasionally nmaking an oops lol.. I dont think a little extra exercise to get rid of an oops every now and then is a bad thing ..

photo you ar right about saturday i burned over 2200 calories that day and only ate 1876 cal that day . We were having great fun , and it was hot so we just kept in there . We always do the same when we go over for a swim. stay the whole day . its magic