General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 09:25 PM   #1  

Smile God and Weight Watchers:)

Hi, I'm new here and just wanted to drop in and let you know what I've been doing. I've been following the Weight Watcher's point program and doing quite well. I've lost 9 pounds in the first 3 weeks and feel that this is a "tool" the Lord has given me to use. I need to lose another 20 pounds and with this program and His help I feel I'll be successful. I send out a Christian dieter's devotion each weekday for anyone who's interested. There are about 65 of us now using various eating plans but turning to the Lord to help us be temperate in our eating habits. If anyone is interested just email me at [email protected]

Blessings to all, Janey
Old 05-07-2002, 09:42 PM   #2  

Smile WW and the Lord

Hi Janey

I'm not on WW but I'm on First Place. Which is a program started by southern baptist in Houston Texas. It teaches us to put Christ first place and to rely upon Him for all our needs. I'm definitely interested in others who rely upon God for weight loss help as well
I'll be in touch
Old 05-08-2002, 02:43 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Great, gonna check it out !!!

Leens
Old 05-08-2002, 04:07 PM   #4  

So glad there are others turning to the Lord for help in the area of weight control How can we fail if He is for us?

Janey
Old 05-08-2002, 10:31 PM   #5  

We can't fail if we are living for the Lord. He promised to never put anything on us that we cannot bear. If we fail then it is because we are doing it on our own instead of through Him

He promised to never leave us or forsake us. Is that not awesome that He would care for us the way that He does. He even knows the number of hairs on our heads.

God Bless and take care
Old 05-08-2002, 10:59 PM   #6  

Default Dieter's Devotion for May 9

Here's a copy of the devotion I'm sending my list for May 9....thought some of you might like to read it

From "Slim for Him," by Patricia B. Kreml

Power of Sin is Broken

For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh. Romans 8:2-3

Thank God that Jesus set us free from the law of sin and death and put us under His grace instead. The law was not strong because the fleshly lust of man weakened it. But Jesus came and became an offering for sin. He fought the fleshly battles, won, and broke it's power. This same power can be ours today; we can do even as Jesus did through the power of the Holy Ghost.

Diverse diets are like the law; they are only as good as the willingness of the flesh to submit. Since the flesh wills to have its own lust and desires, it is not willing to submit for long. Consequently, most diets fail. But when we yield to the Spirit, we gain the victory over that law. We no longer operate by fleshly weakness but draw on the power of God to win the victory.

If you've been trying to practice the principles of Christian weight control without tapping into the source of power, you won't make it. As long as fleshly weakness has room to sneak in, failure is inevitable. Only when we rely totally on the Lord to free us and sustain us can we achieve victory over our eating and achieve lasting results.

Father, I realize even a good plan can't work without the power and authority to put it into action. Thank you, Jesus, for coming to set us free and for winning the victory over fleshly sin so that we might taste of that victory, too. I know I have your plan and your power and authority to make it work. Amen.

From [email protected]

HEALTH TIPS:

1. All Energy Bars Are Not Created Equal

Resisting a candy bar in favor of a sports bar may not be as virtuous as you think. It's important to evaluate bars based on their total calories, fat, protein and vitamin/mineral content. Suggested guidelines steer us toward energy bars with fewer than 250 calories and five grams of fat; three or more grams of fiber; and fewer than 20 grams of protein. The vitamin and mineral content is a nice extra, but you can get the same bonus from a single--and less expensive--multi-vitamin.

2. Bigger Fast Food Portions

Every time you eat a fast-food meal, you may actually be consuming as much as twice the amount of food you would have consumed if you ordered the same meal thirty years ago. In fact, some portions are as much as five times their original sizes. This is according to a study of fast food and takeout meals published in the February 2002 issue of the American Journal of Public Health. It's best not to eat fast food at all. However, if you do, then order less and eat less. Don't struggle to finish all your food. Your best bet may be to order just one meal and share it with somebody else.

Be blessed,
Janey
Old 05-09-2002, 08:00 AM   #7  

Default Hello

My father in law passed away in late March, after a 6 month life with cancer. I realize that my health MUST become a major priority in my day.

I'm being treated for hypothyroid, but the blood work doesn't make sense to the doctors. They finally took me off of Premarin (due to my hysterectomy) and put me on Estrace (we know that estrogen messes with thryoid levels, and we are hoping that the "plant based" estrace will do me better than the equine based Premarin. My cholesterol is 219 and my triglycerides are over 500. I'm still smoking, but just started taking Zyban and will quit on May 16. This time, I'm attending a 4 week support group for smoking cessation. My current weight is 206 and I'm almost 36 years old. I'm trying to exercise, but it's hard to breath and move being so big. If I don't do something now, I'll die before I can fully enjoy my grandkids (no, haven't any yet).

I've tried doing this alone, but I finally realize that I should not be embarrassed by my difficulty in motivating myself or lack of progress.

My first hurdle is to find a diet plan that will work for me. I've been doing so much research that I'm confused. Low carb? Some say the triglycerides are caused by too much glucose (no, i'm not diabetic....just had that tested). And the carbs to fat argument makes a lot of sense.....but...I've read that a low carb high protein diet causes kidney problems due to the high protein overload. The American Heart Association focuses on only 15 percent of protein and 60 percent of carbs and 25 percent of fat.....so who's right? I'm afraid that I will really miss my carbs....so I also have to ask myself if I will be able to follow a strict low carb diet......
Old 05-09-2002, 08:31 AM   #8  

Default finding a diet for you

Hi

I was just reading your post, it is confusing trying to find the diet that will work for you.

You may want to experiment with several to see what works. for instance say to yourself..........I am going on this diet for one week and if it is too hard to follow I will mark it off my list. Then try another. That way you don't fail at a diet you gave it a chance and then decided it was not for you.

God will not let you fail. If you are serious and make a real commitment to losing weight.

Just a few thoughts I wanted to share

Have a great day

Sunnygirl
Old 05-09-2002, 09:20 AM   #9  

Hi, Lisa I, too, have a thyroid problem, and I take synthroid for it. I'm still on Premarin and consequently the weight is coming off slowly. I've tried just about all the diet plans out there and the only one that I seem to be able to stick with is Weight Watchers. I made a committment to go, even when I don't want to.....it's an easy plan to follow as you're not limited to what you can eat....just keep track of the points....some things are 0 points which is nice. It is a healthy way to eat and for me is an answer to prayer.....God will let you know which eating plan is best for you, but if you haven't tried WW, you may want to give it a try. Just take things one day at a time, l meal at a time God has a purpose and plan for you....to give you hope and prosper you!

Love in Him,
Janey
Old 05-14-2002, 10:24 AM   #10  

Default Weight Watchers

I have to agree Weight watchers is what is working for me. But I have slipped away from the journal. And to no surprise.........not doing as well.

I liked what you wrote about your committment. You would go even if you didn't feel like it.

I had just decided, to stop going.......well a committment is a committment. So I will try to make it this week!! I do have some other obligations and may have to miss a meeting....but I will not just stop going like I had planned.

You inspired me........thanks!

Sunny!
Old 05-14-2002, 10:56 AM   #11  

Atta girl, Sunny, keep going. Here are a few quotes from the devotion I sent out yesterday.....they are really good

Challenges come so we can grow and be prepared
for things we are not equipped to handle now.
When we face our challenges with faith, prepared
to learn, willing to make changes, and if necessary,
to let go, we are demanding our power be turned on.
~ Iyanla Vanzant ~

In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.
~ Albert Einstein ~

STICK TO IT

According to William S. Banowsky, the story of one of America's greatest leaders is actually a story of repeated failures and dogged persistence:

In 1831 he failed in business.

In 1832 he was defeated for the state legislature.

In 1833 he failed again in business.

In 1834 he was elected to the state legislature.

In 1835 his sweetheart died.

In 1836 he had a nervous breakdown.

In 1838 he was defeated for Speaker.

In 1840 he was defeated for Elector.

In 1843 he was defeated for Congress.

In 1846 he was elected for one term to Congress.

In 1848 he was defeated again for Congress.

In 1855 he was defeated for the Senate.

In 1856 he was defeated for Vice President.

In 1858 he was defeated again for the Senate.

In 1860 he, finally, was elected President of the United States.

And these are just a few of the rough spots in the life of Abraham Lincoln.

Someone said, "Failure is the line of least persistence." My mother called it "stick-to-it- iv-ness." It generally boils down to a healthy combination of faith and hard work, and it usually means success.

Are you feeling discouraged? Perhaps you just need to give it one more try.

Be blessed,
Janey
Old 05-14-2002, 01:17 PM   #12  

Angry sticking to it

Anyone else have to just really battle everyday?

Why is that? I can diet the first week or two then when I start becoming successful I slack off?

Hope I can stick it out today!

Sunny
Old 05-16-2002, 01:14 PM   #13  
LAWL Center Manager

Angry Be Blessed!

Praise the LORD, Everybody!

I just wanted to introduce myself and let you all know that I'm elated that a group of Christians has a strong presence on this board. I have been struggling with weight loss for a while, but I know that God is able to bring me through this.

I just started with the L.A. Weight Loss Program a week ago, and things are going well, though I haven't been doing it long. The joy of the LORD is my strength (Neh 8.10), and I will accomplish my goal in accordance with the Word of God (Phil 1.6). Hallelujah!

Please keep me in prayer, as this is very important for my health and self-image. I will do the same for all of you.

Joy
Old 05-16-2002, 03:53 PM   #14  

Angry Glad to have you join us

Alsways glad to know there is someone in the same boat.

Yes I will keep you in my prayers.

Do the same for me?? Thanks

I am about 6 weeks into the ww group. The first week or two go pretty well. Now I seem to be slacking off.

Starting weight 217
Current weight 201
Goal 155
Old 05-20-2002, 09:22 AM   #15  

Angry

Hello to everyone

I've never posted here before, but have read your posts. I'm not on WW, but i totally agree with what has been said here. Christ is all the strength we need to be victorious if we will draw our strenght from Him.

I'm doing a program called "First Place". It is a southern baptist program that teaches putting Christ first in our lives as well as the nutritional life style change that we all need to make to stay healthy and to keep the weight off once lost. This last weeks bible study focused on spiritual weapons. The sad thing is that we don't use them to our advantage. He has given us all that we need if we would only claim His promises. Anyway the plan is similar the WW, we are not limited to what we eat but keep track of servings. We are allowed so many servings in each food group depending on our calorie level, but we don't count the calories. If we stay within our allowed servings we stay within our calories as well.

It is great to know that God as mighty as He is , is so concerned with our health and our happiness. He even knows the number of hairs on our heads

I started dieting on my own in Nov. of 2001 and started this program in Jan. 2002 since then I have lost 35lbs, and feeling great. So to everyone stay motivated and encouraged by drawing from the strengt of God.

198/163/150/
Closed Thread