Old 01-21-2008, 03:19 AM   #1  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

Smile LC Chat: 1/21 thru 1/27

Hi LC'ers!

Getting ready to hit the hay but thought I'd start us up - Have got soooo many things started around here . . . very few finished. Really glad I'm off tomorrow - gotta get 'er done.

PC was inop most of the weekend - but got the new tower installed (FINALLY) and am just loving how FAST things are working and all the colors are different. Just having a ball with it - PLUS got the audio back so have been youtubing it quite a bit (LEAVE BRITTANY ALOOOOOONE!)

Enjoyed catching up with the Chat . . . ttyat . . .
aud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:16 AM   #2  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

Hi there!

Victory is mine! For I have found a sucralose sweetener! I remembered a little grocery on the other side of town that stocks imported stuff, and I thought - what the ****. And I have found some sucralose thing! It is neither Stevia nor Splenda, but frankly at this point it could be called Dirt (tm) and I'd be delighted. I also found sugar-free jello! It was the only sugar-free or carb-free thing in the store, so I bought it on general principles.

...course, the not-so-virtuous thing is that when I FINALLY made it home, having done two hours of trudging around shops straight after work, the prospect of going to the gym just made me shudder. I cooked dinner straight away (chili beef stir fry, with mozarella and fresh rocket - jings, I do LIKE cooking, it's a damn shame it takes something like this to make me do it) and am now sitting and eating and filling in my Fitday thingy. Possibly after dinner I will go to the gym - although, to be honest, I'm not very hopeful about my likelihood of going to the gym Once I Have Sat Down.

otoh, I was planning to start my go-to-the-gym-every-day thing today. It's not good to flunk out on day 1!

...I'll see how I feel after eating. (All I do is the treadmill, so I figure it's not unreasonable to go after dinner.)

I sneaked another peek at my scales after I got home, half-expecting them to have shot back up - but no. Slightly UNDER 232, it looks like - which is awesome. Low Carbing rocks!

Last edited by broadabroad; 01-21-2008 at 07:15 PM.
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:05 AM   #3  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Good Morning

Fay~ sounds like you are doing good!! Dontcha love fitday!?!?!?!

I climbed on the scale this morning.....I almost didnt get on it. It is too flippin cold in the house this morning to take all my warm fuzzy cloths off just to get on that sucker! Well, after I stopped shivering, I was rewarded with another 2.5lb loss

There is my positive for the day

Have a great day ladies, Im off to get ready for work.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:20 AM   #4  
beachbum

Good Morning Ladies

Up early as I had to take my Fosamax this morning before eating breakfast. The temps up here is 16 degrees.and the winds are a blowing.

Nothing new, are you gals weighing-in today. I peeks on the scale and I stayed the same,but I have 2 days to work on that.

AUD-Thanks for starting us up.Do I know about PC.s so we changed to Mac.,No more woos.

BaB-You have a good plan all around and that 236 will be down soon.

ROBIN-Big congrats on your 2.5 weight loss. Hope that happens to me this Wed.

Going to have my breakfast I starving,see you guys later

Hugs BB
beach bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:23 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 174.0/162.4/135.0

Height: 5'4"

Good morning all!

I'm going to try to stay on top of the weekly chat better - it's so active that I find it hard to catch up if I am away for more than 2 days. Which is great news, since there are so many new(er) members...welcome

Beach - I couldn't figure out why it was so cold in the house this morning...until I went outside and saw it was 15 degrees! No wonder.

But..it's 9:20am, I've already been to the gym, I have the day off from work, am meeting a former co-worker for lunch and the Patriots are going to the Super Bowl I think I'll treat myself to a manicure!
laura02169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:55 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/188/145 Started 1/3/08

Height: 5'4

Default WWWwhhhhaaaa I want to stay home today!!

Up and at'em. Or rather, sit on largish rear and check 3FC site while one should already be pulling on woolies and grabbing car keys. I'll rush in a few minutes. It's wrong that I should have to toil today but alas, I must.

I with you on the mani.

Fay: Yahoo about the sweetener. Hey, maybe you can order some of the low carb dry essentials over the internet? Lordy though. I always order stuff and click on US. Never thought to look for Thailand. Maybe I could send you a big box of Splenda? Just your luck customs will pull it aside and arrest you for white powder. Maybe you need a care package with sugar free pudding too. Sorry, they don't make sugar free Cadbury but there are delish sugar free Chocoperfection bars that rock.

Aud thanks for starting the thread this week.

Now I know about the turnips I want to try parsnips. NO! I won't. I can't really have them until later on the diet anyway. I will only be torturing myself.

Sounds like the group is doing smashing with the scales so far! I might hop on tomorrow. I'm off the hook today. My scale is in the Master bedroom and as soon as I woke up DD crawled into my warm spot with her doglies so I can't (read won't) turn on the overhead light. (Yes, of course the digital scale lights up...but don't ruin my excuse).

Well, I'd better hop in the shower, grab my lunch and get out the door. Check in with ya later.

ox SC
stayincalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:23 AM   #7  
beachbum

Hi I'm back again

Changed my menu around as I'm not going out just to buy ready made chicken when I have reg in the freezer. When I made up my journal last week I thought I take the day off from Cooking supper on MLK birthday holiday.I was being lazy,so I'll make my home made nuggets instead.

LAURA-I had the same problem last week ,the chat went up to 10 pages. If I can only stay warm today,tomorrow they are saying at the Cape will be back to the 40's again. Going to do my exercising tapes instead of walking outdoors.

SC-I love turnips and my mom would never cook them for us as she had too many when she was a kid.So until I met my DH I didn't know how wonderful a turnip taste. I think that L/C Luxury web site has a turnip French Fry recipe that would interest you.

* 8 medium turnips (about 2 1/2 pounds)
* 1/2 cup heavy cream
* 1 teaspoon Splenda
* 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon salt (sea salt works best)
* 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
* Olive oil spray
* Lime juice

Pepper Turnips and Roast Peel the turnips with a vegetable peeler, slice and cut into 2 1/2-by-1/2-inch sticks. Pour 1/2 cup heavy cream into a large bowl and place the turnip sticks into the cream. Fill bowl with cold water until the turnips are completely covered. Add 1 teaspoon Splenda. Swirl a bit to mix and allow to sit in cream mixture for 10-15 minutes. (This cream-soaking step removes the "bite" flavor of the turnips, leaving them with a milder, more potato-like flavor.) Rinse in colander with cool water and pat dry.

Preheat oven to 425°F.
Combine turnip sticks with the nutmeg, pepper, sea salt and Parmesan cheese in a large plastic (Ziploc-type) bag. Seal the bag and shake well to coat the turnip sticks.

Spray 2 large baking sheets lightly with the olive oil spray. Spread the turnips in a single layer on the sheets and spray again with the olive oil.

Bake in a preheated 425°F oven for 15 minutes. Turn the fries over and continue baking for 15 minutes, until the fries are tender and golden in color. Serve hot with a sprinkle of lime juice.

Makes 8 servings. Approximately 4.5 carbohydrate grams per serving.

Hope I can Post it..I love making these when the rest of the family have the reg ones. Have a good W-I tomorrow. I W-I on Wed.

Have a great morning

Hugs BB
beach bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:28 PM   #8  

BB: Thanks! I'm turnip obsessed.

ox
SC
Old 01-21-2008, 02:41 PM   #9  

Hello,
It took me my whole lunch hour to catch up on the board since I didn't go anywhere near the computer over the weekend. That's O.K. though. I think a busy board is fun.
I'm dreading my next WI on Wed. I checked this morning and haven't lost a thing this week except for losing the one pound I regained after eating Chinese last Thursday. I know from past experience that the third week on any diet is hard. I always lose a chunk of weight the first week and then a decent amount the second week, but I think by week three my body has figured out what's going on and goes into the "OMG, she's going to starve to death" mode which means it processes five or six calories out of every one I eat and stores them all as fat. So the weight loss slows just about the time the menu gets boring and the family starts complaining and it gets easier and easier to "compromise" and eat off plan... But I really feel like this is my last and best chance to make a change. I need to keep focusing on the picture our friends took in Mexico last fall. It was one of those, "who is that fat woman in my bathing suit?" type moments. I WILL do this!!!
Lily, sore muscles retain water and that affects your scale! I'd bet on it!
Fay, you make me wish I had chosen a completely different career and lived abroad at some point. Internet shopping may be the way to go for LC products.
Everyone else, I can't imagine liking turnips. I like lots of other veggies, but to me turnips are those weird things my mother used to try and force us to eat. When I add more carbs I might have to try them — but only if I can figure out how to peel them.
Lynn
lynnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:53 PM   #10  
aud
lc lifestyle

YAAAY & Hi to Laura!!! Been loving the Chat but checking in more often myself!!! So many Great Posts!

Made a Thread about turnips around Txgiving, I think scalm - got like 20 #'s of the suckers at a Country Church Booth - went late & they were closing - lil ole lady & lil ole man gave me almost ALL of what they had left! I turnipped out and forgot about them - but oh, soooo goood! I made the french fries for sure . . . can't remember anything else standing out - but remember getting various recipes from Linda's Low Carb per usual. My Gran - (who died oh so long ago in 1972) - always had turnips in her garden - & always also had rutabaga growing right outside her back door - along with asparagus . . . *wistful sigh*

Tx also for Posting all the things you are making to BE PREPARED, scalm! Already getting a head start on what I think is going to be the key for me in my journey DOWNWARD on the scale! Stocked up late last nite with some OP groceries - gonna get to cooking here in a bit.

I want to be "whole foods" when I grow up Fay . . . sounds like you're getting 'a taste of that when you shop w/o the lc convenience there in Thailand!

WTG on your loss robin!

Didn't mean to send the freezing weather beachie - hope you & leo are staing warm!!! Drive careful!!! (I know you will) . . . my Mom took fosamax for many years - always was careful about staying upright as well. No sign of osteo problems for me yet (knock on monitor) . . . my Mom was already getting what was called a Dowargers Hump at this age . . . my bone density is off the chart youthful (but otherwise am identical to Mom) . . . I credit dabbling on & off with high protein since being a teen in the 70's.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:03 PM   #11  
aud
lc lifestyle

Hiya lynn! We must've Posted at the same time! I like the idea of parboiling the turnips to get them tender and also to lose some of the turnipie taste that scalm did. I miss white potatoes more than I do sweets so willing to trytrytry anything, ya know?

While I'm back on here wanted to say - Hang in There lilyb!!! I know EXACTLY how ya feel with the weight loss part - but agree with everyone that you are gaining lean muscle mass!!! Reading about your work outs has been so inspiring to me - headed for the Y after I finish this latest round of projects and gonna try to get as sore as you, GF!!!

I also agree that you should (if you haven't) do your measurements . . . bet your proportions are really changing in a GOOD WAY!

(I think I'm keeping mine in the '08 Goals Thread for safekeeping! *scared to look* ROTF!)

More projects to finish - bbl . ..
Old 01-21-2008, 05:11 PM   #12  

O.K. Sleeping child be darned. I dragged that scale out this morning in the dark and hopped on. If ya'll remember I was a bit freaked on the 17th when I weighed and had gone from 222.5 to 225. It was down to 222 this morning but still waiting for TOM to land. It could be anywhere from last Saturday to Wed. of this week. I've upped water to 128 ounces a day and have only eaten meat today to try to shake things loose. I think I will actually go to the gym tonight and walk around like one of those bad art wide eyed children and maybe get my guts up enough to try some strength training equipment (provided it does not look like a Lunar Shuttle).

SC
Old 01-21-2008, 06:06 PM   #13  
Face down in Cabo!

S/C/G: WOE - Atkins

Height: 5'10

Hi Chicks,
Sort of depressed today, the scale hasn't moved in 10 days despite being on plan. I know it happens, but it's still depressing to work so hard to avoid temptations and see no results.
On another note, my BF and I have been arguing about the marrige question again. I say we've lived together for 3 years, get along great, all the reasons to get married. He says why change things now? Everytime we bring up the subject, he says we wants to get married, but because his first marriage ended badly, he's afraid. I say, what the **** will change? Sigh . . . I don't want to spend my life being known as his "Girlfriend".
CT Cabo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:10 PM   #14  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone,

My girls were out of school today so we spent the day at my friends' beauty salon and all got our hair cut, styled and hi-lighted. I actually wish I had been brave enough to cut more of the length off mine. Oh well, maybe next time.

Last night it was so cold and I was in the mood to bake. So, I made my first ever home-made apple pie. I had just a taste and it was very good. The family ate the rest of it.

Robin, WTG on the 2.5 lbs. that is awesome.

SC, WTG on your scale moving down.

Lynnar, I agree that I'm sure I'm gaining muscle and retaining some excess fluid in my muscles. I didn't go to the gym tonite cause I feel like I have pulled a muscle on the inside of my right thigh and it hurts like the dickens.

CT, I'm in the same boat with you this week with my scale (actually worse, I'm up a lb.). But, I've worked my butt off at the gym and eaten OP so I know I'm doing all I can. Hoping next weeks WI will be better for us both!

aud, you must've sent the freezing weather to me too. It's 20 degrees here with rain and sleet mix. TV reports wrecks everywhere around and for us to stay off the interstate. I'm gonna stay home where it's cozy and warm.

BB, hope all is well with you and Leo.

CT, hope you can work things out with the BF. It's not really an issue that can be compromised on. I was engaged the first time for 8 frigging yrs. So I'm not one to give advice. We eventually had a baby together and split up without marriage. Actually it was his loss and I'm better off without him.

Last edited by lilybelle; 01-21-2008 at 08:12 PM.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:39 PM   #15  

Evening All: 6:30 here in California so later for you midwest and east coasters and even later for Fay. Got home and DH had grilled some New York steaks (since he and DD were home all day). The good news is that made it easy to finish off the meat fast today. The bad news was that he broke into a special gift box of very special, very expensive custom cut steaks that I picked up for a gift for my best friends parents! He about crapped himself and so did I when I found out where he got the steaks. Mind you I have 4 perfectly good fillets in the kitchen freezer he could have used. Instead, he violated the sacred garage freezer where forbidden goodies, the gift steaks and several weeks of low carb meals are stored. I would have enjoyed it more if I had known I was chowin' down on 6 oz of meat that cost $40.00. (each steak was $40.00) Same for him. Worse still, I told him he now has to call the butcher that I got the gift box from (30 miles away) order the same custom cuts and pick up a new box of steaks for me to deliver. I was going to drop them off tomorrow so now it will have to be later in the week. He's like, "Oh, well we're kind of short on cash". I say, "Too friggin' bad. I bought the gift box in December right after I got my Christmas bonus...figure it out". WORSE still...now I have 4 remaining steaks obtained at a horrendous cost that we are going to eat. I would never buy something that expensive for us to eat! Look at me *****ing about having to eat steak. I need to be slapped and sent to bed without a snack (please). Speaking of smacked. My HR employee came in today ecstatic because she had dropped the final four pounds of her 60 lb baby weight. She brought her Spanks (sort of an uber girdle for those of you that don't know what they are) and we lit them on fire in the parking lot and while they burned sang, "Spanks for the Memories". It was a hoot.

Ladies, you have sent the cold weather mojo here. It is windy and cold (o.k. cold for California). BBBbbbbbrrrrrr.

ox
SC