Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-21-2008, 04:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: .

Height: .

Default Strange blood pressure after exercising?

My normal resting blood pressure is between 130 - 140 systolic and 80 - 90 diastolic. Pulse rate between 80-85. My doctor says it isn't quite high enough for medication just yet and he thinks I can lower it through diet and exercising.
So, I started a new exercise regime on my Nordic Walker machine (it is similar to an Elliptical). And I'm a bit concerned with my blood pressure after exercise.
Take today for an example:
I did approximately 40 minutes of exercising. I even did a cool down period. Immediately afterwards I took my blood pressure and pulse. It was 109/69 and my pulse was 112. I thought normal people's blood pressure rises during exercise?
I waited for 10 minutes and measured it again and it was 129/80 and my pulse was 85.
I read online that blood pressure drops during exercise could indicate problems with coronary arteries, heart muscle, and valves. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Should I mention this to my doctor?
Thanks!
P.S. I'm 27 years old if that makes a difference.
Goldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

http://www.americanheart.org/present...tifier=3034814

Maybe you can find an answer here.Either way talk to your DR. You can never ask too many questions about your health.
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:28 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

There is a simple test you can schedule to be sure if this is problematic for you - a treadmill stress test. I'd definitely call the doctor and tell him about the blood pressure dropping during exercise, and ask if he thinks a treadmill stress test would be a good next step.

Blood pressure dropping during exercise is not normal, and is considered, typically, to be a heart disease symptom, so don't wait if you can help it!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote