South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-18-2008, 12:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/=ticker=/150

Height: 5'7"

Question Low-Sodium V8

I have V8 on some mornings usually when I'm too lazy to make me some type of veggies. Lately there have been some suggestions to use the low-sodium V8 instead of the regular V8. To make a long story short, I went to the store to buy the low-sodium V8 and checked the label and it says that it has added sugar. The amount of sugar per serving is still 8g like the regular V8 but sugar is listed in the low-sodium V8 ingredients. Is the low-sodium V8 legal? I'd much rather use the low-sodium V8 instead of the regular V8 because it had less sodium but can it cause cravings since it has added sugar? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I tried to run a search but since both low and V8 don't have the minimum amount of letters I had a hard time with it.
browneyedgirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

I think it would definitely depend on the person. I use V8 and low-sodium V8 interchangeably (my town's stores always sell out of low-sodium fairly quickly). I really don't know if it's SB P1 legal OR SB P2 legal, but I prefer the low-sodium regardless. I honestly haven't noticed an increase in cravings with the low-sodium, but I may not be paying close enough attention.

Sorry I couldn't be more help!!
Kim_Star060404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 242/220/199

Height: 5'7"

Interesting... I hadn't noticed that! Like was written above, I also haven't noticed any increase in my cravings. In fact, I hate the taste of low sodium V8 so much that I just chug it down and then drink some water My guess is it's fine, just pay attention to how it's affecting your own body.
piratexsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/165/150

Height: 5"6'

I'm reading the ingredient list on my can. Sugar is listed as part of the Vegetable Juice blend after all the vegetables and potassium chloride . The vegetable juice blend is after tomato juice from concentrate. I would assume it's low enough on the list to make this product acceptable. V-8 is recommended in the books, I can't see why low sodium wouldn't be. I think this one actually tastes like vegetables and not like salt.

If I'm not mistaken the 8g of sugar are natural fruit sugars from the tomatoes.
Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Low sodium products often contain potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride. Many people find the taste metallic and extremely unpleasant. Buy a small can, before stocking up, so you can see if you can tolerate the taste. Before I knew this, I made a huge batch of vegetable soup with a large can of the low sodium V-8, broth and tons of veggies. I didn't taste the V-8 before using it in the soup, and I had to throw the whole batch away, because it was horrid. I tried to cover the taste with seasonings, and nothing worked.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote