Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-17-2008, 03:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/218/150

Height: 5'8"

Default What do you wear to the gym?

I am on a mission to buy some nice new workout clothes so I don't feel so slummy at the gym... more motivation to go! But I don't have a clue of what I should get. All the other women at my gym (okay, not all of them, but the ones I jealously compare myself to all the time...) wear skin-tight spandex bike shorts-thingies and sports bras, or super-tight yoga pants and little tank tops, so whenever I show up in the old t-shirt/baggy sweatpants getup that I'm so used to, I feel like even more of a big fat fattie. Plus, I have a problem with workout pants getting baggy in the knees and the butt after a workout. I tried the crop-pants thing once, but I have really skinny ankles and really big thighs and calves (I'm a deceptively fat person... my arms, face, and lower legs are all thin, and the middle of me carries all the weight), so they looked really weird.

So what do YOU wear to the gym? I want to go get something nice and expensive-ish, so I have to go work out all the time to justify the cost of the clothes.
blackbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:34 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I am particularly fond of cotton/sweatpant type, capri-length, slightly bootcut/flared pants with pockets.

LOL - I know, I'm specific! But they are really what works best for me, at ALL weight ranges (from my highest to now, this is what I have worn). I hate shorts, so I never wear them, but the capris keep you nice and cool.

http://www.amazon.com/Reebok-Womens-...601913&sr=1-15

I like having the pocket for an mp3 player, too.

As for tops, I like regular cute t-shirts. Old Navy usually has a bunch of cute ones in the clearance section, so I've never spent more than 5 dollars for a workout t-shirt.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

This will depend on what size clothing you wear, but if I wanted to spend lots of money on workout clothes, I'd do it at athleta.com They have the nicest stuff!! Most of it only goes up to an XL, but there are some 1x and 2x things too.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:12 PM   #4  

Thats funny because i have a small collection of Nike and UnderArmour and now I almost feel self conscious wearing that at my gym because these girls are all wearing these fancy outfits from bebe sport and nordstrom.. so just wear what makes you comfy.. but I don't wear cotton.. I like the dri fit stuff, cotton gets all clingy and the dri fit keeps you cool.. I am a small person but I don't have the body either to wear the super tight clothes , plus I am short so none of the workout pants fit.. they are too long.

Last edited by MissGiggles; 01-17-2008 at 04:14 PM.
MissGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:16 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Athleta and Title Nine do have a lot of really cute workout clothes. I peruse each catalog and try to pinpoint what I want, but I usually don't order anything. I have several Nike running outfits (which if I belonged to a gym I'd wear there in the summer) and Underarmor shirts. For colder weather nothing beats a pair of capris--I REALLY like Russell Athletic. Cute and not terribly expensive (but no pockets).

Amanda~those pants are exactly what I have for my early morning running except mine are Nike. I like that they are thicker and warmer without being bulky like drawstring sweatpants.

Last edited by alinnell; 01-17-2008 at 04:17 PM.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I have to admit - I wear short shorts and tank tops lol. It's the height of summer here! If it is a spin class I wear skin tight mid calf length pants and a tank top...because nothing chafes like a bike seat and sweat lol

It's all old stuff usually...and I sweat like I am breaking a drought so I am soaked through all the time and smelly heh so I don't much care about appearence since I'm going to look like a dag whatever I wear!
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:43 PM   #7  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

I wear either capri or full length workout pants that have spandex in them but are mostly cotton and either a tank with a built in bra or a t-shirt. I really like the Under Armour shirts and the pants I got most recently were Champion from Target and I love them.
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote