Old 10-16-2006, 07:36 PM   #1  
Proud US Navy Wife

Default Well, when you think about it like that...

This post promises to be long-winded.. but I had some profound thinking, and I really wanted to share!

I was getting ready to exercise the other day, and I was thinking about how I really did NOT want to do it. I wanted to curl up with my cat and watch a movie, or sit at the computer, or take a nap. Just.. something. I didn't feel like moving. You all know how it is... the slump we all hit.

Out of nowhere, I had a memory of last year, when I lost all the weight (almost as much as I have now.. now that makes me ponder! ) One day at Curves, I overheard two ladies talking about money problems, etc. One lady said "We are so tight on money, I offered to give up my membership here. My husband wouldn't let me, he said it's the only time I really have for myself." Granted, those weren't her exact words, but that was the idea.

From there (since I have habit of jumping from thought to thought, which makes conversations with me interesting!) I thought of 10 years down the line, when Im married and have children. Of course, I'll be losing what weight I gained from kids, or just maintaining.. and when do I get my most time alone? When I made the kids go with daddy for an hour, so I can work out!

The idea came to me that the lady was right when she said it's really a time for ourselves. It's time we take to improve our bodies, our minds (I dont know about you, but my brain works quicker if I stay active!) and our overall health. It's really a completely selfish moment.

I don't know if this is super-profound.. maybe you all hit on it and I'm just slow. But I like to try to think of it like that. Helps get me moving when I really don't want to.. like today, hah.

Any thoughts?
FaeReverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220 / 180/ 160

Height: 5'8"

you're exactly 100% on the money...i'm also single with no kids (and i'm 27)...and i'm also "in between" dating - and that's my thing...when i AM dating someone I never really got the whole "personal space / personal time" thing - and i've grown up a lot since my last big relationship - which fell apart for many reasons - one being that we never had our "own" time - we were ALWAYS together...but the thing is - what keeps ME happy and how you said that when you're active, your brain functions better...I've realized it's the same with me. there will ALWAYS be "obsticles" - which of course isn't really the correct word - but other people in your life - be it a boyfriend, husband, kids, etc...etc...and THIS is the time that we have to find out who we truly are - and take that into the future when we ARE with someone or we have kids or we move into that next phase in life. I know SOOO many women who pretty much "refuse" to take time for themselves - whether it's exercising or even just honestly giving the kids up to their husbands for the night and go out by themselves...and while, i don't want to sound selfish - I also know that I am always going to NEED that "me" time - and that everyone "NEEDS" to be "selfish" every once in a while when it comes to taking care of their health - both mental and physical.

I think - honestly - I need to learn to be more "selfish" - especially when I'm in a relationship or whatever - because I'm at my happiest when i'm on plan and working out - and like many women, when i am dating someone, I tend to forget about me - and I slump back into my old habits - and I think that has a lot to do with why many of my relationships have never worked out - because i never took enough time for myself and was always trying to make HIM happy - when really - in order to make someone else happy - you have to be happy yourself - and that's where your "selfish / me time" comes into play. and you have to find a balance with yourself and your loved ones.

that's just my $.02

but yes, I absolutely agree with ya.
Indychick829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:16 AM   #3  
Proud US Navy Wife

I know what you mean!

Thats actually one of the reasons I prefer to work out when I'm home alone, rather than while he's home with me. It's my personal time.. he isn't allowed to intrude on that!
FaeReverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:17 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Good for you! I always find when I make personal revelations that involve changing my mindset I am more able to improve my habits.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:20 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 395/319/185

Height: 6' 1"

I never thought about it like that, but it's true that I would much rather work out alone than with someone. Last night I went to the track on campus to run (well more like jog/walk) and while I invited my roomie, I was praying she would say no. Thanks for the profound thinking
missindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:22 PM   #6  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Actually, it is a bit self-less even to take care of yourself. Think about how those around you benefit from a happier, healthier, fitter you.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:10 AM   #7  

Height: 5 ft 3 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingchica View Post
Actually, it is a bit self-less even to take care of yourself. Think about how those around you benefit from a happier, healthier, fitter you.
I sure wish MY husband felt that way-I have to practically beat him over the head to get him to take care of things for me to go to the gym

Regardless, he gets over it, and I know I'm a happier person because I take time for myself no matter what. It would be too easy to put it off because of scheduling difficulty/babysitting issues/guilt. Getting out there and doing something by myself and for myself helps keep me sane and I probably am a better mom, wife, and friend because of it.
rebeleagle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote