Old 10-04-2006, 12:01 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 235/219/150

Height: 5'2"

Nikia, me too, with the college and poverty.

A totally off-topic word of warning, though: Brita pitchers are not magic, but they will totally take the nasty bite outta some Skol. I've been doing this little trick for a few years now and it's been one of the most useful things I've learned in college. Here's the procedure: pour room-temperature vodka through filter at least twice. For some reason once isn't enough, and it doesn't do as well if it's cold. I usually pour it through 3-4 times. It turns Skol-level vodka into slightly subpar mid-range vodka. And it's as close to fantasies of Martha Stewart style domestic goddess status as I'll ever get. Also, last year I saw this tested on Mythbusters and everyone but the professional vodka taster was fooled. How cool.

I've had my little Brita pitcher for about four years. It's saved me a fortune on bottled water.
kella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:47 AM   #17  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I definitely need to get one of those pitchers. The water in the town where I'm now living is awful and tastes like bleach half of the time (I have an electric kettle, had to clean it after barely one week of use :x), and it's going to be either filtering it or buying bottled water even to brew my coffee. I guess the bottles aren't that bad, the store right under my building sells 12 L for about $2 (roughly--I'm not good at converting from euros). But I also know it's not a long-term solution, especially not for a poor student.

Now the vodka trick is excellent. I'll have to keep it in mind.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:18 AM   #18  

Kella..I like you already LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kella View Post
Nikia, me too, with the college and poverty.

A totally off-topic word of warning, though: Brita pitchers are not magic, but they will totally take the nasty bite outta some Skol. I've been doing this little trick for a few years now and it's been one of the most useful things I've learned in college. Here's the procedure: pour room-temperature vodka through filter at least twice. For some reason once isn't enough, and it doesn't do as well if it's cold. I usually pour it through 3-4 times. It turns Skol-level vodka into slightly subpar mid-range vodka. And it's as close to fantasies of Martha Stewart style domestic goddess status as I'll ever get. Also, last year I saw this tested on Mythbusters and everyone but the professional vodka taster was fooled. How cool.

I've had my little Brita pitcher for about four years. It's saved me a fortune on bottled water.
Karma27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:49 AM   #19  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I have a Brita Faucet mount and i LOVE IT
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:18 PM   #20  
Workin' My *** Off!

Height: 5'1"

I fixed the water problem.....sort of...at least for now! My Mom told me to boil the water and then put it in the fridge...boiling it will help take out the weird taste, so I tried it, and it was so much better! Add a little lemon to it and ta da....drinkable water!!!
Canadian_Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:47 PM   #21  
Shannon

S/C/G: 228/178/135

Height: 5'3"

We have a Brita water cooler. We had a normal water cooler before (the tall things that you see in Dr's offices with little dixie cups. haha), but then we still had to go out and fill the jug of water at the Windmill. Now we have the Brita water cooler and just fill the jug at the sink and it filters and cools the water. We love it!
mtp_and_hmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:03 PM   #22  
Proud US Navy Wife

I got a brita water filter a while ago... the tap water here is disguesting. One of the "slim" ones, I think it was about $12, and then I spent another $10on 3 refills. And let me tell you, it is WORTH it. I made my boyfriend do a taste test too, and he agreed that it made the water taste a lot better.

All in all, the refills aren't super-expensive... and in my opinion, worth it, since it makes the water taste good!

*giggles* Ive seen the Mythbusters episode.. I love Mythbusters, hah! Im going to try that, next time I get some of my cheap vodka.. mmmm
FaeReverie is offline   Reply With Quote