Old 10-03-2006, 03:07 PM   #1  
Workin' My *** Off!

Height: 5'1"

Unhappy Creative Water Drinking...

I know, the subject seems odd...but we have HORRIBLE water here. It's GROSS!!! So I won't drink it, therefore, I don't nearly drink enough water. I bought bottled water for awhile, but it's too expensive. I've thought about getting a Brita water filter system thing... but don't know how well they work. I've tried putting lemon in my water to make it taste better, and I just can't drink it...

Anyone have any other suggestions on how to get creative at drinking water??
Canadian_Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:11 PM   #2  

I'd just go get the Brita. That's what I've got -- and I usually LOVE tap water. I'm one of those weird people who can't stand bottled water. It tastes like plastic to me! But since moving here, I've become dependent upon a Brita filter, because I really, really don't like the tap water! It works really well -- it makes the water taste like water again, without making it taste fake.

Otherwise you'll have to drink stuff like Crystal Light all the time to get a calorie-free, caffiene-free beverage if lemons won't work. And personally, Crystal Light for the rest of my life isn't a good option!
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:11 PM   #3  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

I don't know about creative with the water...but I have a hard time drinking it too. That is why I schedule mine. I drink 8 oz of water every hour at least 8 times a day...kinda like a healthy shot of water cocktail j/k It really is the only way I can be sure to get it all in.
Stephanie Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:12 PM   #4  
It's working this time!

S/C/G: 235/212/175

Height: 5' 1.5"

I drink bottled water, so I'm not much help. But, I buy the cheap stuff. Either Nestle or Sam's Choice. It's about $2.50 for a 12 pack. I guess I look at it as, it's a little cheaper than what I was spending on Diet Coke, so I suck it up and buy it. Now, toward the end of the month, I'll probably have to start drinking tap water, but I'm not going to until I have to. lol

When I do drink tap water, I put it in a bottle and stick it in the fridge overnight, so it's REALLY cold. For some reason, that helps me get it down.

Tisha___ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:16 PM   #5  
Goodbye Fat!

Have you tried drinking it at different temperatures? Ice cold vs. room temperature? Try adding other fruits like slices of lime, apple, oranges, or strawberries. I had a Brita and I could not tell the difference in the taste of water. Are there any water purification stores around. Where I live we have a store where you can buy or fill our own gallon jugs of water for twenty-five cents. It is reverse osmosis water and I like the taste. DH goes to fill the 5-gallon water cooler every few days.
dollypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:48 PM   #6  
Workin' My *** Off!

We used to have a water cooler, and it was GREAT! I loved it! But it broke, and we haven't had the money to replace it yet. I checked out Brita Pitchers and they are $37 EACH!!!! That's half the price of replacing our water cooler!!! I might just have to get a new water cooler instead... we had a Greenway water cooler, and it had the BEST water!
Old 10-03-2006, 04:20 PM   #7  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Mickey View Post
I checked out Brita Pitchers and they are $37 EACH!!!! That's half the price of replacing our water cooler!!!
But don't you also have to buy water to put in the water cooler? Those big blue bottle thingies? I don't know much about that stuff, but a Brita pitcher is a one-time buy and then you occasionally replace the filters. I think it works pretty well and it's probably cheaper, because you use tap water. Anyway, whatever seems reasonable in price to you and allows you to drink lots of water is the way to go
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:35 PM   #8  
It's working this time!

Talking

dollypie! You might be my new hero. I hadn't even thought of the refill thingies. We have those stations at most of the Wal-Marts around here! I called, and sure enough...only 25 cents for a gallon! That's awesome! As soon as I run out of all of this water I just bought, I am TOTALLY going to go refill some gallon jugs. They said that it didn't matter what kind of jug it was (it can be a water jug or a milk jug or whatever) as long as it was a gallon. WOOHOO! I'm so excited!!!

Old 10-03-2006, 04:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 235/219/150

Height: 5'2"

I got a Brita pitcher quite some time ago and love it to pieces. Knowing what a cheapo/poor person I am, there's no way it was almost $40. I have a smallish one- my roommate is not a water person, so I end up refilling it every other day or so. The water around here is completely disgusting, you can't even make ice out of it without running it through the filter first. Much cheaper than bottled water, plus no issues with attempting to recycle entire garbage bags full of empty plastic bottles at the end of the week.

(Side note to any drinkers out there: the Brita pitcher will also filter disgusting cheap vodka into something resembling mid-grade vodka, which is just about the greatest thing ever. Just make sure you rinse the filter before using it for water... or, if you're like me, get an extra filter just for MacGyvering your liquor.)
kella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:51 PM   #10  
Workin' My *** Off!

YAY!!!!!! I'm glad this has helped other people too! We don't have a station thingy like that.... I wish we did...or maybe we do and I just don't know about it.... hmmmmmmmmm
Old 10-03-2006, 05:55 PM   #11  
It's working this time!

Call your local wal-mart and ask. That's what I did. The one closest to my house doesn't have one, but they said that they thought this other one did, so I called that on and they do have it. And, it's on my way home from work!

Old 10-03-2006, 06:51 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 275+/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kella View Post
(Side note to any drinkers out there: the Brita pitcher will also filter disgusting cheap vodka into something resembling mid-grade vodka, which is just about the greatest thing ever. Just make sure you rinse the filter before using it for water... or, if you're like me, get an extra filter just for MacGyvering your liquor.)
How clever! I never would have thought to filter my vodka in a Brita pitcher... now I feel like I should go out and buy some cheap vodka...
bluesparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:37 PM   #13  
Amber

S/C/G: 180/165/130

HaHa Bluesparkie..
amb_lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:55 PM   #14  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

Whoa, what a great idea. I'm a college student and broke, so all I can afford is the cheap stuff - I'll have to try that!
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:16 PM   #15  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

We have a brita jug with filter mainly because everyone else that drinks water prefers it filtered. I grew up in an area with pretty hard water and drank it straight out of the tap (or the hose in some cases ) as a kid so the water where I am now isn't so bad.

The jug is a good option and the filters aren't expensive. I find we might have to replace the filter every 2-3 months.

These are like the one we have - HERE. Ours is closest to the Fjord Cool.

It is a good investment when you consider the jug is a one off purchase. We have had ours for over 3 years.
Daisy Boo is offline   Reply With Quote