3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   what defines an overeater? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/90933-what-defines-overeater.html)

bida 08-05-2006 07:49 PM

what defines an overeater?

well that may be the wrong heading - but what defines if you belong to Overeaters Anonymous?

jillybean720 08-05-2006 09:41 PM

I wouldn't think anything really "defines" you...read about the program, and if you think it would be helpful to you, then there ya go! I have read a little here and there about it, and it seems to have a spiritual element with which I am not fully comfortable, so I know it wouldn't be right for me. I believe there is an OA group here on 3FC, and there is also plenty of information out on the internet. As with any type of support group, I don't think it's whether or not you qualify, but rather whether or not it could help you :^:

bida 08-05-2006 11:37 PM

thanks!
I don't want a spiritual guidance program.

My problem lately is well I don't know. I seem to be obsessed with the idea of eating - perhaps I'm bored perhaps I'm lonely I don't know. Since being off set I have been back excersizing my usual amount (well trying to get back to my longer runs) but my need and want to be really full each meal seems to be intensifying - maybe it's living alone. It's like I want to eat to the point of being almost sick - or just like really full - I'm like almost embarressed to be writing about it - I don't know if I don't want to admit I have a problem - or feel like it's a problem I should be able to deal with - since I am usually so independant - but I dont' know why I feel I have no self control over it - but its like I even fear being hungry. Does that make any sense?

Anyway I don't really know what to do - I have seen a dietician - but it seems this problem of mine isn't always here - maybe it is and I lie about it. I just seem to want to gorge. (and when I am really on track I just try and gorge with vegtables and healthy low cal stuff - but I think I still gorge)

Anyway I am moving in with a new room mate next week and I hope I can cope with the problem better then - I think that once someone is around that is new I will curb myself for a while - but when he is not around - prob not. He lost weight last semester - but he told me basically it was because of anoerexia :) well not quite that - but he didn't bring any food home, so he only ate when he went out (which was everday) for lunch etc. but I think i would go crazy. arg.

anyway - any suggestions - moral support - people that want to join up with me and talk about food issues etc in an email back and forth way - similar problems and want to join forces - etc - talk to me!

jillybean720 08-06-2006 09:57 AM

Yeah, I'm not comfortable with the spirituality of OA, either--they claim not to endorse any specific religion, but they constanty refer to God or a "higher power"--well, what if I don't believe in a higher power or I don't want to rely on a higher power to help me solve my problems? Am I doomed to be an overeater forever? I think not. So it's not for me, but anyway...

There is a great group here on 3FC that talks about overeating and bingeing called Chicks in Control ( http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64 ). I have been in your shoes, and the problem for me was that it wasn't just happening when I lived alone, but anytime I was alone. I would gorge myself on fast food in the car on my way to/from work, on junk after a grocery shopping trip, or on anything I could find (like you said, even if it's healthier foods, I would still eat too much of it) between when I got home from work and when my boyfriend got home.

It's a VERY difficult cycle to break once you've fallen into it, and, unfortunately, I don't have any magic tips or suggestions. For me, it was just a matter of circumventing the problem. I actually changed my driving route to/from work so I wouldn't pass the fast food restaurants anymore. I avoided doing any grocery shopping by myself and now try to only go on the weekends when I can take my boyfriend with me so I don't buy any junk to eat in the car afterwards. The time in the afternoons between my getting home and him getting home is still tough, but I have tried to limit the availability of easy-to-snack-on foods in my kitchen. I used to have SunChips for my boyfriend to pack with his lunches, but I would end up eating the whole bag myself. Now, I take the bag immediately the day I buy it and separate all the chips into little ziploc baggies and keep track of how many there are so I know how many lunches he should get out of them, and I TELL him how many lunches he should get out of them, so then if I eat any of the chips myself, we BOTH know some are missing, and that's why I won't do it--I don't like anyone else to know I eat so poorly. Sure, I'll still have some chips if we have hot dogs (fat free on wheat buns) or turkey burgers for dinner, but then he can see me eating them, so I stay in control. I do the same things with anything else I buy that comes in a large package--separate it into single servings immediately so I don't just take the whole container and chow down. But like I said, I don't have many foods like that. I keep frozen meat, frozen veggies, frozen fruit (except bananas--I only freeze those if I will use them for smoothies), and no real "snacky" foods around. It forces me to have to decide how hungry I really am, because just about everything in my kitchen requires preparation--can't just grab anything very easily to munch on. It's a lot harder to overeat or binge if I have to take out a pot or pan, defrost something, cook something, clean up afterwards...it's too much work for me ;)

I know exercising would be a good deterrent from eating when I'm home alone, but I just honestly don't have the energy in this 95-degree weather after working an 8-10-hour day. Instead, I tend to nap until my boyfriend gets home, or I watch old episodes of Gilmore Girls and play Nintendo DS. Not particularly constructive, but it keeps me away from the kitchen! :p

Jessie_777 08-06-2006 03:51 PM

I used to gorge myself a lot. It seemed like I was doing this mostly when something in my life felt out of control. It was my way of controlling something....like the way I've heard some people with anorexia do. I go through phases doing it. Currently I'm doing pretty good, I have a few lazy days where I tend to graze all day long, mostly from boredom. Ever since I've taken up jogging/walking for the last couple months it seems to not be much of an issue. Maybe because I drink so much water...