3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   why do you think you are overweight? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/89393-why-do-you-think-you-overweight.html)

MadamePJ 07-24-2006 07:43 PM

Why am I overweight ??

My life long love of greasy foods and or sweets .... and my hate relationship of working out and breaking up a sweat ... I hope to one day ... learn to enjoy working out ... hmmmmmmmmm :^:

Stevi-rocks 07-24-2006 07:52 PM

I honestloy didn't realize that I was different than those around me. I wasn't (usually) eating any more, Qty or frequency) than anybody else around me. Fast food was a staple of our existance. Sugary foods are always available. I think overall my lack of knowledge/information is a huge factor. Who knew we where all over eating all the time....only I was showing it all over me.

DeafinlySmart 07-24-2006 09:01 PM

I kept getting pregnant, then eating for 2 or 3 (you only need to eat for 1.5). Then afterwards I kept the same cravings and overeating habits. It would take me 2-3 years after each to decide I didn't need to do that anymore. Then when I'm almost there, I would get pregnant again. I've had 3 kids now my husband is FIXED so this one I want to be for GOOD.

shrinkingchica 07-25-2006 02:16 PM

I am/was overweight mainly due to a childhood plauged by major depression.

miss michelle 07-25-2006 07:54 PM

Oh, man. Reasons why I became overweight and reasons why I still battle food (because in my head I still have a problem):
-- Eating because I'm bored (still happens A TON but at least I'm aware of it)
-- Overeating (happens much less frequently than it used to)
-- Eating lots of sweets (I truly love sweet foods)
-- Eating big portions of high cal foods but not getting enough exercise (my brothers used to eat the same food as me and are skinny as rails)
-- Dorm food (no explanation needed)
-- Binge eating while bored, watching tv, when I'm alone (which leads me to still feel guilty about eating ice cream in front of people. last night i hid my skinny cow from my roomate. she's a size 4 and thinks i'm thinner than her. weird that our minds never change)

csoar2004 07-25-2006 09:40 PM

Quote:

why do you think you are overweight?
I was perimenopausal (Think: tanked metabolism :mad: ) and still eating as though I was cycling 5000 miles per season. :o NOT a good combo! Lucky for me I found Fat Flush. :carrot:

IRWShonna 07-25-2006 09:51 PM

I have struggled with weight all my life... I was either too small due to eating disorders or on to my current state - too big..
I have a major sweet tooth and am comforted by foods. I also have a hefty frame and put on weight easily - I need look at something sweet and I balloon to another 5 punds bigger!
I have had 2 children and the last one was a C-section - parts of my stomache are still numb - So I'm sure that doesn't help in the weight loss process either.
I often fix meals on the go as we are a busy family - and am not always prepared to plan meals. <which I know is a much healthier way>
I over eat, and don't exercise much... Gee the more I think about this I could write down a hundred reasons - all of witch I am informed of.. :(

warcry111 07-26-2006 03:53 AM

I guess my own childhood solution to use foods as a solution to ease my pain and depression as a result of overcritical parents and a truly evil grandma and ****ed up classmates. Eventually it got out of control and my problems escalated in every dimension. I remember back when I was a child and pre-teen there were only a few times I ever went to the "overweight" section and it was borderline overweight-normal BMI; most of the time I think I was really in the upper range of a normal BMI but my overcritical mom was never satisfied with my looks. As soon as more and more problems came to me during my teenage years, including my depression and social anxiety, there were times where I completely relied on food to ease my pain and I ate foods that were considered "forbidden" by my mom. Later I relied on smoking tobacco (cigarettes/cigars) and sometimes marijuana (in blunts - they make you feel hungry as well) in addition as "self-help" tools to ease my anxiety/depression. At my highest weight, I was borderline obese.

Canadian_Mickey 07-26-2006 11:02 AM

Why?? Lots of reasons.....

1) In Bed for over a year, because of illness, not active
2) 9 High powered medications that I took for over 2 yrs
3) Emotional eater
4) After I got married my eating habits changed, as well as WHAT I ate, and How Much!
5) Started eating Rich Foods, that I didn't eat growing up.
6) Big portions - Still struggle with that
7) Ate when I was Bored or in front of TV.... BAD IDEA!
8) Ate Convience foods, cause I hated to Cook....still hate to cook, but I'm learning slowly.
9) Made bad food choices.

drake3272004 07-27-2006 11:13 PM

Since having my daughter, seven years ago, I had been 10-30 lbs heavier---just couldn't seem to lose the rest of the weight. Then a few years ago I started having major problems with ganglion cysts in BOTH of my wrists---I've dealt with having them in my right wrist since I was 18, but to have one in both of my wrists at the same time really affected what I could do physically. They can be very painful! I eventually had surgery on my right wrist and that helped some. Then I developed tendonitis in both my hands and lower arms, my arms and hands hurt all the time! I even had to wear braces on my wrists when I slept because I would be in so much pain the next day or wake in the middle of the night because of pain or my hands or arms had "fallen asleep" and the tingling of blood flowing back into my limbs would wake me.
I've just kinda spiraled out of control since then, I started to just give up on exercise because I always seemed to end up in pain. But I wasn't taking into account what I was eating and adjusting my eating habits to my new inactive lifestyle. In fact, I think I started to eat more and add to my depression.:( To add to the drama, I've also found out in the last year that I have endometrial hyperplasia. I'm thinking that the extra weight and birth control pills might be the culprits!
Now that I have changed jobs and have really been able to manage my tendonitis, I am starting to be more active.........just need to find the time now! I added two more children to my family by getting married again and it's tough to find time!:dizzy:

DuchessJane 07-28-2006 06:49 PM

I am overweight because I spent years being an emotional eater with a sweet tooth and a total disdain for all forms of exercise.

Lifeguard 07-31-2006 10:03 PM

Several reasons - none of them really very good:

- major depression (gained over 60lbs in a year - staying in bed will do that to ya)
- never having "treats" as a kid because of lack of money - went hog wild (pun intended)when I moved out on my own
- emotional eating (although I wouldn't admit this for a LONG time)
- food is just so darn good!

mama730 08-03-2006 06:49 PM

Reading most of the replies to this thread, I found a lot of the same reasons I believe I am overweight. I am an emotional eater. I truly enjoy eating and will eat on any occasion I can. I eat when I'm happy, sad, angry, etc. I grew up with my grandma constantly feeding me. Even if I just ate at home, she would insist that I "looked hungry" and have me eat again. It wasn't a huge problem when I was little b/c I was active enough to burn it off. Fruits and vegetables rarely made an appearance in our house. I just think I grew up with unhealthy eating habits, so I didn't know that I wasn't eating like I should have been. I'm just used to the way I eat now, and that makes it hard to change, thus leading to me being overweight.

GetSerious 08-05-2006 07:03 PM

Well I also ate junk food and ate "unhealthy" but during extracurriculm activities keep me from being this size. After high school going into college I became pregnant and that drained me from doing anything physical. I ate fast food every day, watched tv more, and exercised NEVER. I kept this habit up for the past 4 years until I hit the 200's and beyond. Now Im doing what I was suppose to do and still eat some of the same things I ate before just less and healthier. :)

Kat311 08-05-2006 08:21 PM

I eat the way I did for many reasons...
~as a child McD's was my second home, every night mom had a late meeting or PTA,etc. there was dinner. Plus, in HS I was in marching band (I hate to think of all the calories I should've burned then) only to scarf my way through there at lunch.
~my dad didn't give a lot of love, so I ate...food was comfort
~emotional eater: sad, angry, bored, bored, bored ;)
~I LOVE sweets. I hate having to limit my ice cream habit, but I know I can't eat just one scoop, so I don't have it at all
~ I love food. I enjoy cooking, but thankfully, I can adapt things! :carrot:
~ I hate exercising...but would do more if I could afford my own pool :) because I love water aerobics!