3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   % of fat, carbs, protein??????/ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/83620-%25-fat-carbs-protein.html)

wannaBsize7 05-06-2006 12:00 AM

% of fat, carbs, protein??????/

Can anyone point me to a website that can tell me what % of my calories should come from fat, carbs, protein etc? Thanks ;)

mandalinn82 05-06-2006 12:15 AM

That depends quite a bit on trial and error - learning what works for you. For instance, I figured out that I can stick to a calorie goal without being hungry by getting about 40% carb, 40% protein, and 20% fat. This is the ratio that makes me feel the best, personally - but this took some trial and error to figure out. Obviously, someone on a low-carb plan would approach this whole ratio differently. I would eat for a couple of days that meet your goal (for me, that would be eating a couple days at 1200-1500 calories), then see which days you felt most satisfied and look at the ratios for those days.

Sorry I can't be more precise, but what works for each of us depends on so many personal factors!

Amanda

shrinkingchica 05-06-2006 01:15 PM

Um, maybe Fitday? In any event, I recommend that you check that site out, it has really good info and tracking stuff. :)

wannaBsize7 05-06-2006 02:52 PM

Thanks Amanda, 1200-1500cal is exactly what Im aiming for. Charlotte Yes, I love Fitday :)

srmb60 05-06-2006 04:03 PM

I think Body for Life is where I first heard about 40/40/20 (like Amanda said) and the Ladies Who Lift talk about it too.

angeleyezx 05-07-2006 05:33 AM

"The United States Department of Agriculture suggests that approximately 50% of your calories come from carbohydrates, about 30% from fats, and approximately 20% from protein sources. 1 gram of protein has about 4 calories, 1 gram of fat has about 9 calories, and 1 gram of carbohydrate has about 4 calories."

http://nutrition.about.com/library/b...tion_guide.htm

Jayde 05-07-2006 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angeleyezx
"The United States Department of Agriculture suggests that approximately 50% of your calories come from carbohydrates, about 30% from fats, and approximately 20% from protein sources. 1 gram of protein has about 4 calories, 1 gram of fat has about 9 calories, and 1 gram of carbohydrate has about 4 calories."

http://nutrition.about.com/library/b...tion_guide.htm

Sorry Angel, but as long as the USDA lumps all proteins together (animal with plant), and all fats together (healthy or less healthy) I will take their advice with a grain of salt. Also, the USDA has a compromised agenda (INMHO). It's like the fox guarding the hen house.

srmb60 05-07-2006 05:48 AM

My problem with government or health group recommendations is that they are for 'average' people. If we wish to be slender and muscular, I'm not syre averages are for us.

Jayde 05-07-2006 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusanB
My problem with government or health group recommendations is that they are for 'average' people. If we wish to be slender and muscular, I'm not syre averages are for us.

That too... their recommendations also do not take into account the enormous variety of foods the world's people eat. It is a bit more stereotypical of an "average" American fare.

angelfadedblue 05-07-2006 10:27 PM

HEy!!! I got your solution! I signed up for spark people. with a com after it. (It gets edited out if I put the website??) It gives you a ratio of protien, fat, calories, and carbs that based on your weight, age, etc, how much you should have per day to lose weight. you can also adjkust these as you see fit. I like this site much better than fitday- the food "adding" for your daily meals seems to be much easier and I can do it much faster- which is great!
check it out and let me know how you like it?

wannaBsize7 05-08-2006 02:48 PM

I saw that! I'll definantly go check it out Thanks :)

wannaBsize7 05-08-2006 03:05 PM

WOW, the site is awsome. I can't believe it is free. I signed up, but I think I will keep using fitday for the time being. I have a lot of foods that I eat on a regular basis (custom foods) entered in. Maybe one day when I get motivated enough, Ill transfer all the info.

!!!!!!!!THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

jillybean720 05-09-2006 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelfadedblue
HEy!!! I got your solution! I signed up for spark people. with a com after it. (It gets edited out if I put the website??)

Just so you know, the reason it gets edited out is that they have weight loss and fitness forums as well, so that ite is considered a competitor, and advertising or posting links to competitor sites is against 3FC's forum rules.

Oh, and as for the question at hand, it depends on your personal goals, too. I mean, it is possible to lose weight eating nothing but bread all day long as long as you keep track of calories. If your main goal is just to lose weight, then the ratios don't particularly matter (assuming you're not just scooping lard directly out of a bucket for lunch). If you're trying to be completely heart healthy, recommended amount of fat is 30% or less (limiting saturated fats as much as possible, and eliminating trans fats if you can). If you're trying to build muscle, you may need a bit more protein than those who aren't. If you ind yourself feeling hungry at your calorie amount, try increasing protein and/or fiber, or even fat. So yeah, unfortunately, the answer is--"whatever works best for you!"

Meg 05-09-2006 08:58 AM

Even worse, they bombarded us with spam last fall. It was outrageous -- multiple new users signing up just to tell us about this wonderful site that they discovered. :rolleyes: That sort of behavior does NOT sit well with the sisters!! :lol:

wannaBsize7 05-09-2006 01:44 PM

Hey, thats just not cool.