Old 04-23-2006, 06:56 PM   #1  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Question Body Fat %

I have a Tanita scale. I love it as far as weight accuracy, but I doubt it's body fat percentage accuarcy. I know I have brought up this exact topic before, but it just bugs the crap out of me. I weigh several times a day, mostly because I want to get a good weight reading (which is in the morning, after a bathroom visit and before eating) AND an "accurate" body fat ready, which is said to be not within 3 hours of eating or exercising or waking, and you need to be hydrated. I just don't understand how my body fat is still so high! To me it makes no sense! I have been desperately looking for my body fat calipers from training school to check but I can't find them. I think that my scale guesses how much body fat I have depending on my weight, yes I think my scale thinks! HAHA, anyway, when I first got the scale I think I was in the 170's then, and it said 44% body fat (ug I can't imagine what it would have said when I was 190). Now it says 35%. Now I know that's a good loss number wise, but I want to be around 20% body fat and that would mean about 120 pounds and I don't plan on going that low, I just can't imagine that I need to lose another almost 30 pounds.

It's just frustrating to me to be at a "normal" weight but still be considered overweight because of my body fat!!!

Does anyone else have a scale with body fat? If so do you think it's accurate? And if you do, do you think my scale is just broken and mean?
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:32 PM   #2  
Moderator.:.20-Somethings

I have the "Thinner" scale that shows my body fat percentage.

Does your scale have the option of placing down if you are a male or female and how tall you are before stepping on the scale? I think that would make it more accurate.

Last time i checked mine said 17.6%.
Mine says I'm below, so I don't know how accurate these things are.
trnsfrmnreplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

I have a tanita as well and it says my body fat is 43%.No matter what i weigh.I had it checked at my gym and I am 25%.I don't consider my scale reliable.I wish it was after all that was why i chose it
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I havent ever used a scale that shows body fat percentage...the few times I have looked it up I have used measurements vs weight.

However I don't know how accurate that is either because when I did it this morning using a calculator from www.getfit.com.au it said my body fat percentage was 12% which is very low...

*shrugs* I'd like to have it done correctly one day...would be interesting I think.
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:13 PM   #5  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Maja - Yes I have my gender and height in there and everything.

Thanks for the feedback!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:08 PM   #6  
...future runner...

S/C/G: 215/193.6/135

This is totally embarassing but I have a WW scale and it tells me so much I don't even know what the heck all the readings mean! I basically just pay attention to the weight.
rosiek2277 is offline   Reply With Quote