3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   Health & Fitness Publications (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/81404-health-fitness-publications.html)

Daisy Boo 04-11-2006 02:28 AM

Health & Fitness Publications

i went out today and bought Oxygen magazine. I used to buy M&F Hers but have a feeling it is now discontinued :?: I was curious if you ladies regularly get any publications regularly and what are your favorites. i know that so many of them these days are just advertorial after advertorial, but there must be some good ones out there still.

i am looking forward to reading my oxygen tonight. there is a feature with monica brant in there - love her! looks like some fantastic recipes too.

trnsfrmnreplace 04-11-2006 05:42 AM

Hmmm... I get shape/self every now and again... but its so unappealing when EVERY OTHER page is an advertisement for a diet pill.

I'd like to know myself if there are any good ones out there...

curlylocks 04-11-2006 07:40 AM

i like "looking good now" it has lots of tips and has before and afters...

its usually up by the cash register in the grocery stores.

fitgal2 04-11-2006 09:06 AM

Hey all
I have a subscription to Oxygen...I have been reading it since it came out. these days I am getting really truned off of it. WAAAYYYY too many advertisments for diet pills...WWWAAYYYYY TOO MANY!! it never used to be that way!!! its really annoying...I am not paying to read advertisments!

I also really like SELF-

Oh and...I don't think muscle and fitness hers is discontinued...I just saw a recent one in the store yesterday...keep checking!

Stephanie Osborne 04-11-2006 10:07 AM

I used to be a die hard shape magazine fanatic. However lately I have been getting whole issues that were just fluff...you know articles not really having anything to do with fitness. No I am hooked on self magazine. I like how they incorporate thier website with a lot of the stuff they do. They do challenges, give you pics of the workout in the magazine but also give you a video, and mp3 of the workout on the website.

junebug41 04-11-2006 10:11 AM

I've gotten some good really good workout ideas from the cutouts they have and whatnot- I always say that I'm going to compile a binder of the demonstration pages, but I never do! My only problem with them is that they will publish some groundbreaking studies and then contradict them in the following article/issue.

sierra_ttw 04-11-2006 10:44 AM

I used to buy both Shape and Self every month, but after awhile i realized there's really nothing new in either of them - they just recycle the same stuff over and over... so now I just go to their websites for the exercises and save myself a few $'s.

spillthebeans 04-11-2006 10:53 AM

I have a subscription to Shape. I enjoy it. I also find a lot of my weightloss and workout info from bodybuilding.com lately

Nevaeh 04-11-2006 11:47 AM

I love to read Prevention and Shape. My Mom gets subscriptions to both so I just read hers when she is finished. I don't know if I would necessarily subscribe to them both myself, but I would pick them up occasionally at the store for some different ideas.

rosiek2277 04-11-2006 01:08 PM

I use to subscribe to Oxygen, Shape and Runner’s World.

I loved Oxygen because the women are beautiful and inspirational. However half of the dang thing is advertising for Hydroxycut. I just got so sick of it and finally just cancelled this year. Shape I have had for about 2 years and I love, the exercise and the success stories. I’m keeping this one.

Runner’s World I cancelled because huh I wasn’t a runner anymore? But it’s a very technical magazine for serious runners.

Since I’m on the WW program I’m thinking about subscribing to Weight Watchers Magazine. But honestly one of my 2006 goals was to reduce my debt and I don’t want to spend the money on another subscription. So, for now Shape it is.

lizzbabe 04-11-2006 03:17 PM

Magazines are my forte so I'll let you know what I think...

M&F Hers is only producing special issues now avail on stands...no more subscriptions which I think is lame so I'm not reading it anymore.

Women's Health&Fitness is really good. Lots of articles, etc. I really like WW Magazine even though I'm not on the plan. Shape, Self and Fitness are all pretty decent though basic information. I go through phases with Oxygen... sometimes I really like it other times there is nothing that catches my eye.

I like Fitness Rx as well...it quotes lots of research studies so I know where the info is coming from but like everyone mentioned the ads make me mad.

I've gotten good stuff from Men's Fitness and Men's Health as well so don't be embarrassed checking that out. Health is a good magazine too. I could go on and on....oh and ones I don't like--Fit, Pilates Style, Yoga Journal. Runners World is a little specific but if you're into that, it works.

Daisy Boo 04-11-2006 09:46 PM

so it looks like shape and self are the best then. i can't say i have seen self on the shelves here - will have a look today.

well the oxygen i got (is in fact an australian version - who knew!) was good, but the advertorials - geez! there was a very good back and shoulder routine with monica brant - that woman is just inspirational!

i will have to have a look today and see if the HERS is on the stand here at all and see what the content is. i used to love it - great exercises, great recipes and inspriational stories.

will see how i go

illinichick 04-11-2006 10:28 PM

I really love women's health and self. I have this thing where as soon as I get them, I tear out all pages that have ads on both sides. Then when I sit down to read them, its a little less annoying that there are so many. Especially the ads for prescription drugs... "ask your doctor about..." I hate those.

KittieCat 04-12-2006 11:11 AM

My oldest sister was in M&F Hers. She is a professional body builder/fitness expert. *all the fitness genes went to her* lol :)

WastedThermos 04-12-2006 04:58 PM

I have a subscription to Oxygen and I love it. I was so happy to find a fitness magazine for women that wasn't filled with skinny, non-athletic looking models. The ads are kind of annoying, but they don't really bother me. Their special nutrition issue and the fat loss issue were also really helpful and full of good ideas.