Old 04-10-2006, 05:27 PM   #1  
!No CoMpRoMiSe!

S/C/G: 162/152/135

Height: 5'5"

Default medical help to lose weigt

Has anyone gotten medical help to lose weight? Will a doctor even see you if you only need a little help losing weight. I thought a doctor perscribed appetite suppressant might help. I am tring to lose 27lbs. What do you think?
wannaBsize7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:54 PM   #2  
No More Excuses!

S/C/G: 240/225/165

Height: 5'6"

My Dr told me that she would prescribe me an appetite suppressant but its not covered by my insurance and i cant really afford it. Also she told me i would ahve to keep a food journal for her to see my progress, which at the time i didnt want to do, but now i wouldnt mind lol. I go in for a routine checkup later in the month maybe ill have her put me on something then..
Marineswife85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:12 PM   #3  
!No CoMpRoMiSe!

Ok, thanks for the info... Thats what I figured, that insurance wouldn't pay for it. Let me know how it goes if you do at the end of the month :P
Old 04-10-2006, 07:58 PM   #4  
No More Excuses!

S/C/G: 240/225/165

Height: 5'6"

Id talk to your doctor tho, or your insurance company. Im on military insurance but i think my friend got prescribed it and just had a small copay, and shes not military. So i dunno.. THe insurance i have, all meds are payed for, but you can only get certain ones... i dunno.. id talk to your dr.
Marineswife85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:55 PM   #5  
Moderator.:.20-Somethings

wannaBsize7 - You don't have much weight to lose, i think just a good diet plan filled with good choices and a exercise plan will get you to your goal in no time. You don't need pills, especially dr. prescribed hardcore ones.

If you start a good healthy lifestyle now you will be able to keep the weight off for life.
trnsfrmnreplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:57 PM   #6  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

water is a good appetite suppressant

have a look on the below forum, there may be some info in there for you on what is on the market. personally i am a little dubious about using a 'weight loss pill'. they often seem to promise many things, but you still have to exercise and watch your food to lose any weight.

3FC - Does it work?

unfortunately in todays day and age it is almost human nature to find the easy or fastest way to a solution. we live in an 'i want it now' world.

with weight loss we all know that it is a combination of watching your food intake and regular exercise. for some reason though, even i get intrigued with a new product that promises to help you lose weight.

Daisy Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:08 PM   #7  
!No CoMpRoMiSe!

I know all of what ya'll say is true. The sad thing is that I have been tring to lose weight for the past two years. Another sad thing is, I have been trained by a champion body builder (a good friend of my husbands, and myself) and I have all the knowledge to do this, but its been 2 Yrs!!!. I think it is mostly due to my unsteady lifestyle. I am an emotional eater, that is my major problem.

Thanks for all of your support, it is making a HUGE difference.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:43 PM   #8  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

If you have an emotional eating problem, I don't know if a drug will help you. Have you tried to get a handle on the cause of your emotional eating? Therein lies the key to your success. I wish you luck!
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:42 PM   #9  
!No CoMpRoMiSe!

Hmmm, maybe emotional is the wronge word. The main reason I make bad choices is convience. Another is when the weekend comes around, my husband and I used to have a "cheat" day, that just created a habit of thinking we had to have sweets when we watch a movie. The main time emotions come into play ist That time of the month. then I sometimes feel empty inside...so I tend to wanna fill my belly.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:05 PM   #10  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

An appetite suppressant is going to just that--suppress your appetite. If you're currently eating even when you're not hungry, then no drug is going to help that. It's also not going to make you magically pick healthy foods instead of convenience foods--that's all on you.

Other prescribed weight loss drugs often have icky side effects (read: anal leakage). A doctor might prescribe you something, but it will often only be covered by insurance if you have weight-related health issues (although there are some insurances that will cover any prescription).

Drug or no drug, it all comes down to healthy eating and exercise, and if you're already doing that, then maybe your body doesn't need to lose those 27 pounds to be healthy If you think you're eating healthy, maybe recod everything you eat for a couple weeks--a lot of people are surprisd by how many calories they are consuming even if they don't feel like they are eating a lot.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:22 PM   #11  
!No CoMpRoMiSe!

I have to say, I have been doing a loth better in the past couple of weeks, I just need to hang in there I guess.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:53 PM   #12  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

you can do it!

remember it is a lifestyle change you are making, not a quick fix

we are here for you
Daisy Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:06 AM   #13  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

The biggest problem with using a pill to get to your goal is what happens when you're there - you go off the pill because you've reached your goal weight, but you haven't changed the way you deal with or approach food, or your habits... which means that the weight loss likely won't be lasting. I think you have to be mentally ready to make changes on your own and deal with the hard parts of losing weight for it to last a lifetime.
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 04:14 PM   #14  
!No CoMpRoMiSe!

Ok, the thing is; I take xenadrine (and the same goes for hydroxycut, and lipodrine) It's great for suppressing my appetite. It takes my appetite away to the point that I feel hungry in my stomach, but I don't have an "appitite" for any certain type of food. So its easier to just eat something healthy to satisfy my hunger. When everyone else is eating hamburgers, I'm satisfied with my grilled chicken. When I forget to take the xenadrine, I tend to feel sulky when everyone else is eating foods I love. The only problem with this is it tends to make me jittery, that is why I thought it would be great to have a appetite suppresent that doesnt effect my heart rate.

On the other hand, I do hate to take medicine of any kind. I'm very aware of the fact that EVERY medicine has a side effect of some kind.

I know that once I loss the weight, I'll have no trouble keeping it off. After all, I've done it before. And besides that, I have maintained the weight that I'm at for 2 years. The only reason I gained the weight is from my pregnancy in 2004.

Thanks you guys for letting me bounce this all off you. It makes a world of difference.