View Poll Results: what should I do?
forget school, get a job and get on with life 0 0%
finish the papers and petition again (for them to be accepted or for late withdrawal from 2 courses 21 45.65%
forget the papers, go back to school in September, take 2 courses, graduate 25 54.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2006, 09:28 PM   #1  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Default desperately need advice regarding my school situation

Edited to add - this has been very difficult for me to share, so your understanding will be greatly appreciated.

I desperately need some advice as to what to do about my current school situation.
I had a bad period of depression last year (January to late May or so), and I totally messed up my school work because of that. I was taking 3 courses (needed 2 to graduate), it was supposed to be my final year in university, and I had a conditional offer of acceptance to grad school.

Because of the depression, I had trouble keeping up with school work the whole second semester, and in the end did not manage to write my essays. I petitioned for a late withdrawal from one of the courses, which was granted. Then time ran out to finish work for the other 2 courses.
I really wanted to graduate, be done and be able to go to grad school, so I petitioned and asked for permission to submit the essays late, but in time to be able to graduate. It was granted, but I did not have enough time AND my computer crashed, wiping out the hard drive. The pressure was too great, and I still was very depressed. I did not finish the essays. In the summer I still wasn't feeling up to it, even though I tried. In September I moved overseas for a year (a plan which I could not and did not want to alter), and still hoped to finish the essays and submit them. The therapis I went to would write me a supporting letter, and my university counsellor said that I could submit a petition any time even though the date passed, that I would just have a lot more explaining to do.

However, I started working full-time, and have to spend a lot of time on inconvenient daily commutes, meaning that I have very little spare time, and because of that I haven't made much progress with the essays. The grad school offer fell through, and she still hasn't finished the work, and she doesn't know what to do now.

Here is what the options are:

1) forget school, get on with life
advantage: don't have to worry about finishing the papers, and the petition
disadvantage: I would be a university drop-out, which does not make me feel good and does not look good on a resume... also, I don't want to join the workforce... I'm not sure I'd be happy living like this... I want to go to grad school, and do my PhD!

2) finish the papers and petition again
That would be either for the papers to be accepted, or if not, then to be granted late withdrawal from those 2 courses.
My therapist said that it's unlikely that finished papers would not be accepted if I attached them to the petition. The issue here is that finishing them would take weeks if not months, and the petition might not be granted.

3) foget the papers, go back to school in September, take 2 courses, graduate
In this case I would not have to worry about finishing the papers, or about being a university drop out. I'd have to provide a letter stating that I'm well enough to take courses, but my therapist should write one for me.
The big problem is that I now have two F marks on my transcript, which have significanlty lowered my GPA (average score). It was not that good in the first place and I hardly managed the conditional grad school acceptance. Even if I get A marks in the 2 courses, that probably won't be enough to offset that. In this case I'd have no chance of making it to grad school.

I have no idea what to do...

Another edit... just want to say that the first option is not something I want to do at all. It's just an option.... but essentially it's between writing those papers or not...

Last edited by Sushi Penguin; 01-10-2006 at 04:53 PM.
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 09:33 PM   #2  

Go to school. Trust me, i put grad school on hold, and it was the worst thing I had ever done. I am going to go back now, but I wish I had gone back a lot sooner!
Arian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 09:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

look at it this way...You've managed to get through almost the entirety of university...that's more than some people manage. You have 2 classes left. It would be a shame that only two classes stood between you and a college degree. Go ahead and either submit the petition and do the papers, or take the classes over. If you don't do it, you might regret it later.

Sometimes, the best decisions are the easiest ones to accomplish.

Best of luck
Grumbleworts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 09:55 PM   #4  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Thanks
I probably should have added that the first option isn't something I want to do at all. It's just an option. What I need to figure out is whether to try to finish those papers or whether to just forget them no matter the Fs...
Old 01-07-2006, 10:06 PM   #5  

You may as well petition...I mean if you can possibly escape that grade then why not give it your all? All they can say is no...
Universityprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 10:19 PM   #6  
Big-time loser

S/C/G: 306.6/247.2/156-164

Height: 5'8"

I think your therapist was probably right when she said that they probably wouldn't deny it if you attached your papers, but it sounds like finishing off school as per the typical student might suit your schedule better. 2 F's can't possibly affect your 4 year GPA THAT much, besides, if you retake those same courses, doesn't your new grade replace it? I say start back up in September. Maybe you could add some padding and sign up for some easy courses to raise the GPA? Didja notice that you slipped into third person at the end of that for a minute? It totally threw me off!
jenicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 12:04 PM   #7  

Go back. I'm doing my post grad late (not PhD thats for my 30s lol) and loving every minute of it. I went through a stage when I was very down but you just have to get through it. You sound bright you need to graduate!!!
impossible princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 02:29 PM   #8  
banned

go back to school...2 classes isn't that bad. i'd rather take classes than do the paper. you could even take 1 class a semester for 2 semesters, that way you can maybe just take one night class a week each semester and then you're done! and it doesn't take up too much of your time either. just a suggestion
Danzer5570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:08 PM   #9  
Yummy Mummy in the Making

If I were you, I would go back: either take the two classes or do the papers and petition. You're so close to getting that degree that you may regret it if you drop out now. Good luck!
crk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:26 PM   #10  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Sushi Penguin - think of yourself 10 years from now. Then think what you would have wanted yourself to do right now. No one can see the future, so you don't know exactly where your decision will take you, but it is hard to imagine that finishing school isn't the right choice.

I am 32 and I JUST (December) finished my undergraduate degree. That is because I didn't go to college out of high school even though I was a very good student (VERY long story). I was in college for 10 YEARS (part time while I worked full time). If you don't finish now and you find later on that you are being held back in your career because you don't have that piece of paper you will kick yourself. Then you will still have to work and go to school at night, which is not fun (at least if you want a life) . Just don’t think about how much work it will take, buckle down, and do it. Often times these things feel so much more difficult from the starting line. You will probably look back on it and wonder why it was so daunting.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:15 AM   #11  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenicra
Didja notice that you slipped into third person at the end of that for a minute? It totally threw me off!
hehe, it threw me off, too!

I vote for writing the papers. If it's the same 2 classes, then won't you have to write the papers for the classes in the new semester anyway? Might as well just write them now and not waste the time sitting in class if you don't have to, right?
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:31 AM   #12  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

You can do it! You can do it!

Don't give up! Finish! You can't go on with your life, and you will not feel completely happy with yourself until you finish those papers...either redo the courses or petition..either way FINISH, you have to finish what you started...
spillthebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:17 PM   #13  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

I would say redo the courses - these papers seemed to be a major weigh-down, might be better just to start new. And I think most universities have the option of readjusting your GPA if you retake classes.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:19 PM   #14  
PrestonsMama

S/C/G: 253/180/150

Height: 5'6"

I made a big mistake letting my life get in the way of my education. 4 years later, married and with a 7 month old it is harder than ever to think about returning to school. If I could turn back time, that is one thing I would do over again! Finish your education, get your degree. Even if you decide not to go on to grad school, at least you accomplished your bachelors, which is a great thing to have in the workforce these days. I voted for you to try to petition again and turn in the papers. All they can do is say no. Then you can just retake the courses and be done with it. YOU CAN DO THIS!!! (((HUGS)))
PrestonsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:57 PM   #15  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Alright, I fixed up the third person. No idea where that came from!

Thanks for all the advice.
I'll spend some time over the next few days considering things - I do know I want to finish my degree.