Old 01-07-2006, 01:26 AM   #1  

Default Good low cal food ideas

I know I could look in the food forums, but I like it here...

I just tried Baked Cheetos- and they are REALLY GOOD!!! I am not a fan of the other baked chips (they are ok) but these taste almost the same as normal cheetos...

I need more ideas on low cal/healthier options for normal foods I like...I'm sure others could too

I also really like the 100 calorie snack packs-like the oreo crisps, or the chocolate chip crisp things- perfect for a craving.

Also diet caffeine free coke is really good- I drink that now instead of normal pop...but I still love cherry coke on ice....oooh I can't even think about that anymore!

I also buy low fat yogurt with low sugar in it (fake sugar is added for sweetness) and its 80 cals a carton

I just discovered acorn squash...add a tiny amount of brown sugar (or splenda's brown sugar) YUUUMMMMMMMM

Any other Ideas? I think I need to go shopping in couple days- I need new foods
Pilatesgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 01:45 AM   #2  
Big-time loser

S/C/G: 306.6/247.2/156-164

Height: 5'8"

Low-fat cottage cheese with crushed pineapple, part of flavor packet from a sugar-free jello mix, and a dollop of fat-free whipped topping all mixed together. Tastes like that fluffy jello dessert thing.

Diet sodas with a few maraschino cherries dropped in.

Snack bags of dried prunes **** I know it sounds weird, but they're really good, I swear. Like big, juicy raisins but way more filling. And they've got a TON of fiber. ****

Pita pizza - top a pita bread with all your favorite pizza toppings.

Berries (or peaches) with an ounce or two of whole-milk yogurt stirred in. Tastes like berries and cream, but the yogurt packs some protein and has fewer calories.
jenicra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 02:39 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I love those baked cheetos! They were my plane snack when I went to visit my family last week. Not the healthiest but a much better option than the original and they taste the same.
Here are a few things I like:
Mashed sweet potatoes (sweet potato, a little orange juice, some light butter and a little sugar (about 1 tsp per potato)
Nonfat yogurt with protein powder - tastes like pudding
Tuna melts (tuna, miracle whip free, reduced fat cheddar, on your choice of bread, pita, etc)
Kraft makes a new macaroni that has whole grains and added calcium. They also reduced fat/calories and you prepare it with skim milk and low fat butter if you like macaroni.
I read this somewhere, haven't tried it yet myself: blend orange gatorade, vanilla protein, and ice and it tastes like an orange creamsicle. Probably not much lower in calories but it has protein and electrolytes.
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 09:50 PM   #4  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

baby carrots and cucumber pieces
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 12:47 AM   #5  

Motts Healthy Harvest Granny Smith Applesauce in the individual portion sizes with cinnamon and about 1/2-2/3 of a pack of artificial sweetener (I like Sweet 'n Lo, but I'm allergic to Splenda) - it tastes like a really tart baked apple.

Kozy Shack rice pudding - a 1/2 cup serving is under 150 calories and has about 2.5 grams of fat - perfect for when you want something indulgent and creamy.And you can mix in fruit or nuts or whatever you want and it's delicious - I like the original and the European Style both - they also make a no sugar added version with Splenda that is supposed to be good.

Jello Pudding Cups

LowFat cheesy corn chowder - heat low salt/low fat chicken broth and 1 can of corn (or use frozen) thicken with a slurry of flour and water, then add just enough milk to make it nice and creamy and a bit of cheese - enough to get the flavor - season with salt and pepper. If you like you can add a little bit of sour cream for richness.

Keep on Truckin!
Erin
chaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 01:31 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 164/125/115

Height: 5'6

Default ^ Question

For the corn chowder (my fav) what type of cheese??
kobe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 12:36 PM   #7  
here I go again...

I'm eating the 100 calorie pack of cheez-its right now with a mini cheese wedge (laughing cow- light swiss; only 35 calories!) and it is SO GOOD.
illinichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 12:45 PM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I count calories, but I don't necessarily eat "low-cal" foods. I used to--I would find substitutions for all my favorites (baked chips, sugar-free pudding, ice cream with Splenda, etc.), but deep down, I knew that even though my calories were lower, it wasn't necessarily healthier. I've recently started focusing WAY more on whole foods and healthier foods in general. I find that I eat less food but the same amount of calories, and yet I feel WAY fuller and more satisfied.

For example, for breakfast, I would often have a bowl of cereal, no-sugar Carnation instant breakfast in skim milk, or a packet of instant oatmeal. I would feel hungry within another 2 hours or so and need a snack. Now, I like to have a toasted whole-wheat English muffin with natural peanut butter and either banana slices or no-sugar-added jelly. For me, an English muffin didn't seem like much food, so I was always bringing snacks to work thinking I would be hungry soon. However, I find that it keeps me feeling full for SO much longer! I didn't have ANY snacks today between breakfast (at about 5:30am) and lunch (at 11:40am). I did start to gt hungry at about 11:20, but I knew lunch was so soon that I didn't bother snacking.

So, that said, some of my favorites now are:
  • whole-wheat bagels
  • whole-wheat English muffins
  • SPINACH--I use raw spinach on sandwiches instead of lettuce. It's SO much better for you (since lettuce is basically just crunchy water) and still has next-to-nothing for calories! I also mix chopped frozen spinach into pasta sauce and rice or noodle side dishes. I think I'm even going to mix some into my mashed potatoes next time I have some. I can't taste the spinach at all, but I know it's doing my body good for almost no added calories
  • sliced turkey--I used to only eat ham, but turkey has much less sodium and usually fewer calories
  • ground turkey instead of ground beef
  • frozen fruit--they last longer than fresh (duh), and you can get strawberries for the same price all year
  • when I need a frozen treat, I like no-sugar-added fudgesicles--very yummy and only 40 calories each
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 12:56 PM   #9  
Yummy Mummy in the Making

Love the baked Cheetos too but try to stay away from chips most of the time (if I have one, I'll eat the whole bag!!!)

I have to second the pita pizza - that's a great treat to have sometimes. Also the sugar-free fudgesicles. Mmmmmmmmm....
crk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 01:06 PM   #10  

I keep a large container of cut of veggies next to me at my desk, so if it gets slow at work and I get bored, I can chew threw those instead of chips.

Hummus

100 calorie bags of popcorn

Green tea with a bit of honey

Cherry tomatoes with a little seasoned salt

A handfull of pistachios

Silk soy milk yogurt...
Arian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 03:06 PM   #11  
Living the Laguna life...

Pilatesgrl, how do you cook acorn squash? It sounds delic
miss michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 03:34 PM   #12  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

a handful of roasted no salt added peanuts.

Broccoli or CAuliflower dipped in Kraft- Low Carb Ranch-South Beach Friendly stamped on the outside

Low Fat 1% or Skim cheese sticks

Soft boiled egg-lots of protein, keep you feeling full

Turkey slices wrapped in a whole wheat tortillia with shredded lowfat cheese

Sugar free jello/puddings

PICKLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
spillthebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:15 PM   #13  
Movin' and Losin'

Ooo, Spill. I absolutely LOVE pickles! They are a fabulous snack!

*Grape tomatoes, cherry tomatoes... heck, any tomatoes -- they just rock! And, they go quite well with pickles. (Pickles and tomatoes are my favorite foods.)

*Almonds, peanuts, pecans, etc. Nuts may be higher in calories, but they really pack some protein and staying-full power.

*String cheese

*Celery with peanut butter -- the peanut butter adds taste and protein to help you feel full.

*I also love the SF fugdecicles!
jdoggmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:49 PM   #14  

Hmmm

Cottage cheese or string cheese are my faves.
LadyNai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:49 PM   #15  
*Melissa*

there are those delicious cottage cheese and fruit snack pack thingys. They are soo good, my favorite is the pineapple!! Yummy.. *wondering why I didn't get any at the store* hehe
ditzeechick is offline   Reply With Quote