Old 09-28-2005, 07:14 PM   #31  
All That's Left of Me

*Okay Amanda, keep your cool*

Alright, it's obvious that you've done some book learnin'. I seriously hope this is one of those instances in which I am misreading someone's tone as being condescending and downright rude, when that is actually not how they mean to come across. If this is the case, and you didn't intend to come across the way you did, then I appologize in advance for everything written below

Now, I'm going to check your facts.

Are you sure my doctor had to go to school...had to get certified...do all that edumacation stuff? Well dang it all...I thought she got her degree through an online corespondence school...silly lil' ol' me! I do declare!

In case you didn't catch my drift...I was being sarcastic. I don't know what it is about any of the posts I have ever made that gave you the impression I was an idiot. GOD, I mean I'm not trying to be rude, but what kind of fool do you take me for? Any half-brained yokel with a 1st grade education knows that doctor's have to go through extensive training in order to become licensed practitioners of medicine...that's why they make the big bucks!

Next point. My doctor IS stubborn...what do you think that just because someone has gone through medical school that they no longer make mistakes. I am not an idiot...I did not just go on some cracker-jack website, read a list of side effects, and diagnose myself. I am not an insane individual under typical circumstances. Your assertion that "she's absolutely correct in telling you that there was probably no relation to your reaction", indicates that you are under the impression that I had my "episode" for some other reason. Who are you to make that assumption? Are you an endocrinologist? FYI, after my "episode" I did extensive research as to the possible causes, not even thinking that it could possibly be related to my medication...that is, until I went to the website of the company that MAKES THE DRUG! Don't you think that if there wasn't a possibility of phentermine causing psychotic episodes that the manufacturer would have left that little nugget off the website? Drug companies have enough trouble trying to market their drugs with the possible side-effects that DO exist, without resorting to inventing side-effects that aren't even a possibility.

Next point. I don't need a vocabulary lesson. But for your information, a psychotic episode is defined as " Mental loss of connection with reality". Look it up next time, preferably before you attempt to correct someone. Now go back up to my first post and you can read all about how I lost touch with reality, time and space, etc. What part is it that you read that gave you the impression that I was the picture of mental health? Am I normally like that...NO. Was I drinking...NO. Had I ever had an instance in the past where I had lost touch with reality...NO. Was I taking any drugs...Yes (phentermine). Phentermine is an amphetemine...with a warning..."may cause psychotic episodes, hallucinations, confusion, etc". When I put the facts in front of me, there are three possible conclusions. 1. I have a hidden mental disorder that stayed dormant until I began phentermine 2. I just happened to develop a mental disorder while I was taking phentermine 3. Phentermine (known to cause a wide variety of temporary psychological disturbances) caused me to have a psychotic episode. Well, considering the fact that the problem began going away when I stopped taking phentermine, I, being an at least half-way intelligent human being, came to the conclusion that the phentermine had to have caused it (backed up of course by an immense amount of medical literature).

Next point. I am aware that my pharmacist is not an encyclopedia of infinate knowledge. He is, however, well schooled in pharmacology. I'm not sure how things work where you're from, but in my hood the head pharmacist of a large chain pharmacy had better know what the hel* he's talking about! And yes, he's got my whole history right in front of him.

Next point. I appreciate the tip about calling the endocrinology board, getting a second opinion, etc. I am in a suburb of detroit...that does not mean that it is close to my home. I have a yellow pages, and access to a google search...and yes, I have looked for an alternative in the endocrinology field. Have you ever been to detroit...sure, there's endocrinologists there...but I don't want to risk being carjacked or shot just to go to a different doctor. Endo's don't treat bullet holes. Don't think detroit's that bad? Think again. Ever heard the expression "sorry we MISSED you" in reference to detroit? The MISSED part doesn't refer to a warm sentiment!

But really, thanks for the helpful post! I suppose you're right

Amanda
amandaholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 07:57 PM   #32  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Yikes!!!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 08:04 PM   #33  
Determined

Amanda - I would really encourage you to get counseling. I really think it would be benecifical to you as a person, a parent and an individual trying to lose weight. I wasn't raped but my ex was abusive. It was hard initially to seperate him and his actions from my son. I loved my baby, but felt a find of disconnect. I was also very young when I had him (19) and needed help letting go of some of my desires in life but at the same time maintaining a balance between being "me" and being a parent. Now the roles are somewhat intertwined but I still have goals that are independent of my role as a parent. Because of seeking help I'm able to love my son fully and have a healthy relationship with him. It's been the most beneficial thing I could do as a parent and for myself.

I have a huge problem with anyone believing in the absolute knowledge or "rightness" (for lack of a better term ) of ANY professional. I think that internet knowledge can be both helpful and dangerous. It lets you know what direction to pursue with your doctor. But do take into account their expertise. Marbleflys is right; there is an incredible amount of education that goes into a subspecialty certification like endocrinology. That being said, with all the education in the world there are still bad professionals and good professionals. So I would say go into this and be honest with your provider. They cannot help you if they don't know what you're really doing.

There are several research studies linking psychosis and phentermine. They've been done on a small scale, but they're out there. In most of them it's termed a "severe change in personality" though, not straight out psychosis. I don't doubt your symptoms, just imho they may be a combo of some issues you're already doing with in addition to the med. I applaud you for trying in the face of all you're dealing with. You must posess an exceptionally strong character to still be going with all you're dealing with. So I would just encourage you to be proud of yourself and do the best you can. Please let us know how you're doing.
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 09:50 AM   #34  
All That's Left of Me

Yikes is right Stephanie I guess I just hate it when someone talks down to me...and have a problem holding my tongue in the face of it. Hey, it's one thing to present your opinion to someone, yet entirely a different matter to disect what they said and throw it back at them couppled with a vocabulary lesson BTW, I love the litlle bug-eyed smiley

Happy Daisy - Counseling would probably be an option if I had a self-sustained psychosis. As I stated before, I am a sane individual (as much so as anyone can be). I am well aware of the benefits, as well as the drawbacks of clinical counseling as I have taken numerous courses in it (psychology was once my major). The problem with that is that I am fairly comfortable with my own coping mechanisms. This incident began a few hours after taking my morning dose of phentermine. Usually I would take the phentermine first thing in the morning and then go on about my day without issue, but this time was different. I took it at 10 a.m., by noon I started to notice that I could not stop moving...pacing around my house. So I decided to go out for a jog and work off some of my excess energy. While jogging I noticed that my vision had become heightened...everything just looked brighter and more detailed. When I came in from my jog I still couldn't seem to calm down...so I started cleaning. A few hours later, at school, I began having panic attacks. I was sitting in my class and I could feel my heart racing, my mouth was dry, my senses were heightened...it was the same feeling you get when you see a car swerving toward you on a two lane road. My pulse was racing. I left class early and went to cvs to try out the blood pressure thing...I typically have very low blood pressure (100/60), but at that time it was 139/90...maybe not too high, but high for me. I still couldn't calm down, kept getting that adrenaline rush thing. Decided to go to bed early, and then spent the rest of the night in a cold sweat, hallucinating, losing track of time (getting my son up for school at 2:30 in the morning). I was certain I had lost my mind. The next morning I was still jumpy, hyper, etc...so I took my thyroid medicine and left the phentermine in the cupboard. For the next 24 hours I was still edgy...irritable and depressed...24 hours after that I was a tad down, but returning to normal...then I became myself again. My doctor said it would be a week before the drugs got out of my system completely, and she was right. I fell much better now. Anyone can come on here and read this and try to jump to the conclusion that I have some underlying mental problem, but quite honestly I am not a mentally disturbed individual. Just because I was raped does not necessarily mean I need to work through it with a trained professional. I was not conscious when I was raped, I was drugged...and therefore the only reminder I have that it even happened is my son (who just happens to be the light of my life). Jesus is my counselor, I know it may sound trite...but it is the truth, MY truth. Self help and religion may have been given the boot by many in our "enlightened" age of psychotherapy and anti-depressants, but I know what works for me. Maybe what happened to me would lead others to the assumption that they need help, but in my case it led me to the realization that "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". Thank you for the kind words, and good advice...I do appreciate the care that you took to respond, but my mental state is quite sound. My body simply cannot take a high dose of phentermine on a regular basis.

Amanda

Last edited by amandaholly; 09-29-2005 at 09:52 AM.
amandaholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 10:07 AM   #35  
Mikey's girl

Yikes!!! I think everyone just needs a HUG!! Ok.. back to being a bystander...
JustForUs is offline   Reply With Quote