Not an on-topic question... but I need your opinion ladies! - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Old 09-04-2005, 02:19 AM   #1  
Proud US Navy Wife

Default Not an on-topic question... but I need your opinion ladies!

Haha you are all my lab rats.. or something. Actually, I need the opinion of you totally hip and with-it girls

I am a pretty crafty person, as is everyone else who lives in my house. Recently my mom bought a slave bracelet (for those of you who don't know, slave bracelets are bracelets that come up your hand and end as rings). They looked simple, so mom and I tried making them.. and succeeded! They are insanely fun to make, so we are going to try going to a craft show and selling them.. Silver-plated ones for $10 (which are all we have now, since we don't yet have any of the other supplies) Sterling silver ones for $20, and Sterling silver with semi-precious stones (or, in once case, a watch) for $25!

Now why the heck do I tell you these things? Because I want your opinion. Below is a picture of one I made for myself.. one of the silver plated ones (duh). And I just want to know... is this the kind of thing you or someone you know would pay the above mentioned prices for, or are my mother and I wasting our time?

Sorry this has nothing to do with losing weight.. But I know you guys will give me an honest answer!
FaeReverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 03:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 187/149/127ish

Height: 5'4"

uhhm... not to crush your dreams but personally I wouldn't wear that. I have seen people wearing them though, but I think that is a little pricey. A craft show might not be the best place to sell them, I would think that would be a place older woman would hang out, and I don't think they would wear them. I think you need to market them to younger people, maybe tweens. You could see if a store would sell them for you. and you could give them some of the profit. I don't know if stores where you live do that, but they do that here, so you could give it a try.
raiatheplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 08:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

Its very pretty! I think a craft show is a great idea to sell them, and from what I've seen others selling at craft shows, and their prices, I think thats about right. And I think older women would wear them, especially the crafty type artsy people that would hang out at a craft show.

Also, if there are any small shops in your area, I'd ask if you could set up a display there. A coffee shop that I eat lunch at sometimes, has a display for bracelets that a customer makes. And they are much more expensive than yours!! (25 - 30 each!)

Good luck!!

~Liz
Lizzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 09:05 AM   #4  
Totally motivated!!

I think your prices sound reasonable! I would start out at the craft show but I agree about getting them into places where the "tweens" will be......I think that will be your market! Good luck!
gammagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 09:34 AM   #5  
I like jewelry.

I haven't seen anyone wearing them around the Twin Cities area, although I do see them for sale at craft shows. I don't think your prices are unreasonable, but based on what I see here, I don't know whether people are buying them. Maybe things are different in WV?

Good luck.
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 09:57 AM   #6  
one of my goals!

S/C/G: 215/203/150

Personally, I wouldn't wear them, but I would suggest that you take them to a Renaissance fair, I bet they would sell there!!!
BrunetteChic_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 10:01 AM   #7  
LIFETIME LOSER!!!!!!

I cant see the picture..... hmmmm. So I dont know. If its what I think they are - I wouldnt wear them except for Halloween or Belly Dancing- maybe
dani4beauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 12:29 PM   #8  
LivingDeadGirl

S/C/G: 325/250/165

i can't see the picture either, but i love slave bracelets (though I have yet to own one...odd) and about older women...my mom is 50 and wears them...though i'm assuming elderly is what raia is talking about...can't hurt to try and the prices are actually good because a lot of people pay that kind of money
Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 03:14 PM   #9  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I don't think that the only people who hang around craft fairs are older women, but even so, I think they'd sell. I think the price is fine! I don't know if I would wear it or not, myself, but I think that they are cute, and I always like to see them on other people!!! I say go for it, and keep the prices the same!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 09:09 PM   #10  
All That's Left of Me

I'm 25...and I go to craft shows (you find stuff there that makes great christmas gifts). $10 is not too much (I know this, as I have seen them sold at craft shows for $15). Go for it! Although there are often a lot of older people at the craft shows, many of them are looking to buy gifts...often for younger people...unique stuff such as the beautiful bracelets you and your mother are making! Just make sure you display them properly, and wear them while you work...also, get a good booth in a high traffic area. Good luck!

Amanda

Last edited by amandaholly; 09-05-2005 at 12:28 PM.
amandaholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 12:32 AM   #11  
LivingDeadGirl

agreed!
Old 09-06-2005, 01:06 AM   #12  
Proud US Navy Wife

Thank you all for your imput! Maybe I will try selling them in shops, I will have to see... right now, the craft show is just an experiment (And I HAVE seen young people at them.. especially since the one we want to go to happens to be at my college) and selling them to friends and co-workers, people who see them and want them! Thanks for all your help
FaeReverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 08:08 AM   #13  
LivingDeadGirl

yay