3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   Work Out Clothes... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/64048-work-out-clothes.html)

WastedThermos 08-24-2005 10:12 PM

Work Out Clothes...

Alright, so I've been wearing big tshirts and big sweat pants/yoga pants to work out in since.. well, forever. Because I usually try not to pay attention to very much that goes on at the gym besides my work out, it hasn't ever bothered me that I was always frumpy looking compared to 75% of everyone else there.

However, since I started taking classes & having to stare at myself (and everyone else) in the big mirrors...I'm starting to rethink my work out clothes.

Because I work out at a university gym, most people there wear trendy-looking gear. However, there aren't many people there who are over 150lbs, so trendy clothes look pretty good on them.

I can't decide if I should attempt conformity and try to buy some new, less slobby looking clothes to make myself feel better, or if I should just ignore it and stay frumpy.
:dizzy:
Any ideas? I can't pay a lot, and I don't want to have too much hanging out (and there is a lot to hang out.) What do you guys wear??

FaeReverie 08-24-2005 10:35 PM

Ick at trendy clothes. I remember is 6 grade when I made my mom pay $15 for a plain red shirt I wanted at the Gap.. back when I was trying to be cool (and failing miserably;) )

Usually I work out alone, so I wear whatever I happened to be wearing at the moment... usually jeans and a t-shirt. If I am going running or something, I try to wear my black pants my mom got me for Christmas (with Happy Bunny on them! <3) instead of jeans because I can move easier in them.

As for your problem.. my advice would be screw everyone else. Wear what you are comfortable in.

LockItUp 08-24-2005 10:52 PM

Hey there. I usually wear workout pants I got at Target on clearance (they have good workout stuff there, especially when it's on clearance) and an old t shirt. I always think I look frumpy, and if I felt comfortable in those trendy things, I would probably wear them; soon enough!!! If you would feel more comfortable in something you think is a little cuter than what you usually wear, than go for it!

lizzbabe 08-24-2005 11:20 PM

Well I sweat so much that tank tops and shorts are my uniform at the gym but I always LOVE buying new workout clothes. And places like Target and Marshalls or TJ Maxx tend to have good deals. It's whatever you feel most comfortable in so maybe buy yourself some cute clothes as a reward for achieving an exercise goal etc. Good luck!

WastedThermos 08-24-2005 11:26 PM

I sweat A WHOLE LOT, which is fine but gross. I don't know if my clothing will help, but less material to get wet and see through has to be better.. maybe.
I don't know if I can wear shorts, but I've been thinking about trying to. Ever since I was little when I wear shorts they ride up and I spend half the time pulling them down. It is annoying and thats why I've been wearing pants to work out. Has anyone conquered that shorts thing?

I might go look for some new tops. Start small. I think Old Navy has some cute "yoga" clothes so I might go there.

JustForUs 08-25-2005 07:51 AM

Lizzie, I REALLY agree with what you are saying, and I hate it!! but one of my goals is to be able to wear thte cute stuff and LOOK good!! I wear yoga pants, a tank top and then usually a t shirt over it. But target has GREAT deals on clothes! good luck!

paperclippy 08-25-2005 09:11 AM

Lizzie, I have the same problem with shorts riding up! Also, workout shorts that have stripes or seams on the inner thigh drive me crazy because they chafe on my thighs too much. However, I *do* wear shorts to work out in (during the summer, anyway), and my secret is that I bought a pair of basically compression shorts (or bike shorts, but not padded, just tight) which I wear underneath my shorts. They don't ride up as much because they are tight, and they protect my thighs from the seams of my regular gym shorts.

I also have a pair of track pants that I wear when it is too cold for shorts -- they are kind of thick so they keep me warm, and they have pockets. On top I usually wear tank tops or old tees (fitted tees, I can't stand men's T-shirts because they hang weirdly on me and have seams in all the wrong places), right now mostly tank tops. If it is winter I'll wear a sweatshirt too.

I agree with everyone else, Target is a great place to buy workout clothes! That's where I got my shorts. My tank tops are just generic colored tanks, I don't even remember where I bought them, but Target probably has pretty good ones. The other important thing in my fitness wardrobe is my socks, since I run. I always get blisters with regular socks, so I went out and specially bought "running" socks, and I love them!

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about what you wear. Sweats and T-shirts are perfectly acceptable gym attire.

srmb60 08-25-2005 09:17 AM

I'm not in my twenties but I did want to post ... I have a great big t-shirt that says "Leave Me Alone" in big letters on the front. I wear it when I'm walking or biking on the road.

Clothing sometimes can help with your mindset. Wear what makes you feel like you're gonna go out there and do it!

amandaholly 08-25-2005 10:23 AM

I love Old Navy! Last year I went there and shopped the clearance racks (which are always packed) and ended up buying about 10 cute 2x t-shirts, and a few pair of yoga pants. Now I wear those t-shirts to exercise in even though they're too big for me now. As a student and a mom I just can't justify spending a lot of money on transition clothes...let alone work out clothes that I'm just going to get all sweaty and stinky (I sweat a lot too...plus I get a bright red face). However, I have made one exception. I went to one of those athletic stores at the mall and got a pair of jogging pants that I LOVE...and can not live without (unfortunately they are starting to get wayyyyy too big). They are made of a super soft material and are also really stretchy. The bottoms of the pants are not fitted, they kind of fan out a bit, and they have a slit opening on the side. There is a stripe down the side of each leg from top to bottom, which creates a real slimming effect. Even though I wear a huge t-shirt I never find myself getting self-conscious anymore, because these pants are so flattering. As you can guess, I highly recommend them!

Amanda

Laila_girl22 08-25-2005 10:53 AM

I wear workout capri pants. They are very comfy and keep me cool. I wear an old t shirt too, I feel comfortable in it, and at the gym they have a rule about no sleeveless shirts. I wear men's shorts that I've had for a while too. They are longer than womens so they don't ride up as much.

spillthebeans 08-25-2005 11:25 AM

Target and Walmart-great stuff for CHEAP!

I like wearing black biker shorts & long tank tops over, so my hiney isn't so out there!
I also do lots of kicboxing classes and we do stuff where I just don't feel comfortable unless I have on biker shorts..regular shorts are flying all over the place.
Plus the biker shorts hold me in and help me keep my stomach tight.

Also Lizzie, I noticed when I wear things that are not frumpy I feel better about myself and more confident! I like treating myself to new workout clothes!

JustForUs 08-25-2005 02:30 PM

Biker shorts?? are they comfortable, I feel like my thighs are too fat. ?

Star 08-25-2005 03:08 PM

I workout alot and my fav is yoga pants and a tank top.......I have many of these outfits in different colors. My gym sales short tank tops that say "Weight Station" so I have those too.
I like to look good when I workout - it makes me feel better about going. I don't like the miss-match or sloppy look even at the gym..... JMHO

As for biker shorts - not for me too much bending laying down and exposing.... :o

JuliaTN 08-25-2005 03:28 PM

When I first started going to the gym I wore big shirts and sweat pants because I felt like it covered me up and kept me from being self conscious. I've found though that when I wear something that is somewhat fitted (not tight) I look better & I feel better about myself. Turns out the big t's & sweats just made me look bigger. Now I usually wear capri style form fitting yoga or nylon pants with a sports bra and tank top (most purchased at Target;) ). I've never been one to wear shorts much either.

Bottom line: I wouldn't change my workout attire for conformity's sake but I would change it if I thought it would make me feel more confident and better about myself. There's a middle ground between trendy & frumpy even if it is hard to find sometimes. :p

WastedThermos 08-25-2005 03:38 PM

Thanks for all the advice!!!! I'm glad to know other people are sweaty and red faced and slightly frumpy as well. I had always avoided tank tops at the gym because arm jiggle is the worst (maybe right behind back fat jiggle) but I am going to give them a try. Maybe if I'm not all covered up I won't be drowning in sweat by the time I get through.

Looks like I'm headed to Target soon, which is fantastic because I got about 5 gift certificates from there for my birthday.