3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   hair (a lightbulb moment) (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/60392-hair-lightbulb-moment.html)

paperclippy 06-27-2005 04:09 PM

hair (a lightbulb moment)

I just realized something that now that I think about it is totally DUH. I had always wondered why sometimes I look in the mirror and think I look thin, and other times I think I look fat. It's all about my hair!

I know this is so dumb, but when I have my hair in a ponytail, or tied up, so that it is all pulled back from my face, my body looks bigger compared to my head, almost so that my head is too small for my body. When I look at myself like that I see this big body and think "wow, I'm fat!" But when I do my hair so that it is down and has lots of volume, my head looks much more proportional to the rest of my body, so I look thin! :lol: So if you ladies need a pick-me-up, try doing your hair with lots of volume!

I just noticed this because I got my hair cut last weekend and I have started wearing it curly for the first time (my hair is naturally somewhere between wavy and curly, but I have been straightening it my whole life), and it has SO much more volume. Anyway, I just thought it was funny! Do you all have any similar experiences?

WastedThermos 06-27-2005 04:41 PM

Thats funny!
I think sometimes I have that problem too. When I was in high school I had short hair that I made HUUUGE with hairspray, not in an 80's way but in a wanna-be glam sort of thing... anyway, I've been growing my hair out and I've recently been straightening my straight-to-wavy hair to get that extra half inch in length. :lol:
I'm not sure I have the guts to analyze how this affects my overall body, but my head looks reaaaally fat when my hair is so flat and straight beside it. I can't wait until I have about 4 more inches of hair so I can curl it and be fake-glamorous again.

AmberM 06-27-2005 05:13 PM

I feel the same way. When my hair is pulled back I always think I have about 4 more chins than usual. Of course I do need a haircut because my hair has gotten TOO long now and it's straight down so that brings my face down too (in my opinion) so I'm going to add some layers and cut a couple of inches off to see if it makes a difference. I really think it will. When it hangs straight down with no volume it makes my face look fuller I think. My hair is the longest it's ever been in my life (getting close to touching my rear end) and I am SO bad at doing anything to style it, so it's just a limp mess.

I think you are totally right, hair makes a big difference.

Amber

flxthct107 06-27-2005 06:44 PM

You are totally right hair does makes a huge difference. I'm opposite though, I feel like my face looks thinner with my hair up.

katia 06-27-2005 08:31 PM

I'm the opposite, too. I have long hair and when it's pulled back you can see my neck and collarbones more clearly, so I look thinner in general.

paperclippy 06-27-2005 09:05 PM

I think my face might look thinner with my hair pulled back, but since my face looks smaller, my body ends up looking huge! :lol: It's really funny how much of a difference hair can make though.