3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   Athletic Shoe POLL!!! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/36465-athletic-shoe-poll.html)

Jen24 02-09-2004 07:21 PM

Athletic Shoe POLL!!!

Hey ladies, I'm just curious....will be looking into getting new workout shoes in the next few months.....please answer the following:

1) What type of athletic shoe (brand, etc) do you currently wear/use?

2) Would you recommend that shoe to others? Why or why not?

3) Other athletic shoe info that might be helpful (brands you've liked, not liked, etc....)

Thanks in advance! :)

Jen24 02-09-2004 07:24 PM

1) I have a pair of New Balance running shoes, I think the "model" is something like "470"--been using them about 7 months now

2) I would NOT recommend these shoes, based on the fact that it took WEEKS to "break them in"--had to go through various blisters, rubbing, random discomfort, etc....I don't think you should have to go through all that with athletic shoes, even at the very beginning. Also, one of the shoelace holders (not an actual hole, but one of those tab-things that you thread the lace through) broke not too long after I'd gotten them. NOT impressed with the quality on that front!

3) I've only worn Nikes, Adidas, and Skechers in the past (before my current NB pair). Haven't had trouble with any of those. Am wondering....has anyone ever had a pair of Ryka shoes? I know it's a brand just for women, and I'm curious about it. I'm ready to try something new!

lynnie24 02-09-2004 08:41 PM

I love Reeboks. I recommend them to anyone and everyone. I have never had a problem with reeboks.

jenicra 02-09-2004 09:43 PM

I've never been a Nike fan for ethical reasons, but I got a great pair of Adidas' for XMas and I LOVE them. Really comfortable. Fairly reasonable (though I did get them on sale). They've got breathable cloth and air filters on the bottom to keep your feet cool (therefore, they aren't great for running outside if there are puddles). Here's an address to the shoes:

http://www.ladyfootlocker.com/catalo...brand&sport=13

katia 02-09-2004 10:25 PM

I wear Asics and love, love, love them. I only use them for treadmill and road running, and incidental cross training.

If you are planning to use the shoes primarily for running, I would highly recommend going to a specialized running shoe store and getting your feet properly measured and looked at. They will recommend shoes based on the type of running you do, your typical mileage, and the way your feet hit the ground. I used to have trouble finding good shoes, but now I know a brand and a specific line within the brand that work for me.

aimes523 02-10-2004 06:34 AM

Sadly, right now I'm just using cheapo Target sneakers. I know its not good but I don't do any running or very much hard walking so its ok for now. When the weather gets nicer I would like to invest in a good pair of shoes so thanks for posting this!

jdoggmartin 02-10-2004 10:45 AM

I've always had Nikes and loved them. They've never caused me any trouble, and they hold up really well. I'd recommend them to anyone.

For Christmas, I got a pair of New Balance shoes, and I really like them as well. No problems so far.

I might add that I do any running, though... YET! I hope to start if I can get myself motivated.

spillthebeans 02-10-2004 11:13 AM

Very important to get shoes that are appropriate for what kind of use they will be needed for.

At one point I was running with a pair of sketchers----not workout shoes!!! very bad things started happening to my back and knees...

I have found that Asics and Addidas have really good running/walking shoes.

StarPrincess 02-10-2004 11:21 AM

Being cheap and not sure how committed I would be to exercise, I got a pair of inexpensive shoes at payless. I don't even know what brand they are. I don't use them often since my primary forms of exercise are pilates and bellydancing and I go barefoot for both. I do wear them for bike rides and walking and they seem fine. When it warms up a little, I'm going to give jogging a try so we'll see how they do then.

alsbttrfly 02-10-2004 03:34 PM

Right now I'm using Nike Air Terra Sebec and I love them. I have had Saucony in the past and they were great as well. I just ordered a pair of adidas online and I'll let you know how they turn out.

tonic 02-10-2004 04:59 PM

Adidas. I love them. They have great arch support and are very lite. I also do mostly running on a treadmill. I actually need new ones, but I love the ones I have :)

StarPrincess 02-10-2004 07:03 PM

Tonic - I just saw your website. How fun! We must have some strange things in common because I grew up in Hillsboro, Oregon (very close to Banks) and have cousins that grew up in Bellingham :D

Jen24 02-10-2004 07:25 PM

Lori--I saw those Nike Terra Sebecs the other day while shoe-shopping for DH--they were on sale at Shoe Carnival! Good to know they are winners. (-;

bella sacha 02-12-2004 01:16 PM

one word....Saucony!

tonic 02-12-2004 04:27 PM

Star - Wow.. it sure is a small world! I really miss Oregon. I've been to Hillsboro a lot.. mostly driving through or visiting friends. Its grown a lot. I can't wait to move back to Oregon.. but gotta get my fiance to finish his PHD :)