Old 09-16-2016, 09:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: Current 210 Goal 198

Height: 5 foot 11

Default 20 Something...that sounds like an old guy....

Hey Everyone,

Just a quick few pieces of information about me before we begin =)

1.) I am 26 years old, well versed in social media, internet marketing and the like.

2.)I have lost about 55-60 Lbs over the past year and am feeling better than ever. I used a healthy diet and exercise. Thats it. It works.

3.) I am a male...this matters later...

Ok, I just wanted to say that being a personal trainer in the year 2016 it is harder than ever to get my clients to realize that losing weight, and keeping it off, is a process. Thanks to social media, photo shop, and the overall push for men and women to have unrealistic physiques, most of the people I speak to think that you can get "Six Pack Abs In Six Weeks" or that there is a "Secret Shake" to burn belly fat. Heck, even the idea of spot treating your fat is still a thought.

I want to get everyones opinion on the state of social media today. We are in control of it because we are the ones that "like" "follow" and "retweet" this junk.

Sorry to rant but I am just trying to spread the message that healthy weight loss happens with nutritious food and excercise. Call me old fashioned =)
LiftLaughLiveSHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:35 PM   #2  
Determind Member

S/C/G: 323/313/168

Height: 5ft 6"

Not old fashioned in the slightest.

I am a 27 year old Scottish lass who has been over weight since I became a vegetarian at 9 years old (who would only eat pasta and other carbs). I have tried every dieting club that is popular, and most diets that you see advertised, I have tried acai berry, raspberry keytones and green tea tablets. I have detoxed with a lemon water diet, the cabbage soup diet, and even taken colon cleanse tablets. At one point my doctor even put me on what we call Xencial which is also known as Orlistat, which drained the life out of me.

It was the attempt at using My Fitness Pal that really started to open my eyes. I have usually been quite an active person between going to the gym and working on a busy bar or a busy restaurant, I also usually ate quite healthy. Using my fitness pal helped me work through portion control, learning what foods were high in calories, and what foods were high in protein.

It has taken me nearly 2 years of learning about food, learning about how my own body reacts to specific meals and exercise to be in the position to lose weight. In late January, I weighed in at the highest I had ever been at 323lbs and I was horrified! I had spent such a long time learning that I hadn't actually put it all into place. I decided I had to go to a counsellor to sort out some life stresses, clear my mind and take on a new perspective. I also swore to lose 1lb a week, slowly and sustainable until I reached 154.

It has taken me trying EVERYTHING, to realise that it literally does come down to eating healthy, reducing calories, and taking part in exercise.

Not all hope it lost

Coming from someone who is -31lbs out of 169lbs that need to be lost

Last edited by Scotsgal; 09-17-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Scotsgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: Current 210 Goal 198

Height: 5 foot 11

well i am glad i am not the only one! Thanks Scotsgal
LiftLaughLiveSHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:09 AM   #4  
Lost weight successfully

S/C/G: 101 lbs

Height: 5' 1''

Transitioning to a eating healthy, losing weight steadily and in a sustainable way is a psychological journey imho. Quick fixes, cleanses, fast weight loss tricks, etc... won't work in the long term, unless you really get to the heart of this new state of mind. So I totally agree with you on this
stellarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:45 PM   #5  
Determind Member

S/C/G: 323/313/168

Height: 5ft 6"

No you are not the only one LiftLaughLiveSHB, I also agree with Stellarj
Scotsgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:30 AM   #6  

Not a huge fan of paleo diets, but having lost almost 30 kilos in the past, I found that I was able to do it simply by avoiding wheat-based foods (though not religiously), and sugar, walking as much as possible and controlling portion sizes. Eggs, nuts, red meat and avocados were all of huge benefit to me. I still ate rice though and I don't think it did me any harm. Sushi is great. So are vietnamese rice paper rolls. Eating loads of good fats makes healthy eating satisfying and sustainable.

oops and on social media, the point of the thread, lol. I recognise its huge value for brands, and I enjoy reading "valuable" content-based marketing that the more interesting niche brands put out there, but I HATE social media for my personal life. I avoid religiously. I love Pinterest, Instagram etc but I see them as interesting content rather than a "social" platform. Quitting Facebook was a brilliant decision for my self-esteem and sanity.

Last edited by sylphide; 11-29-2016 at 12:33 AM.
sylphide is offline   Reply With Quote