Old 02-18-2016, 01:50 PM   #271  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Hey guys!

Getting quieter towards the end of the challenge, though I'm feeling the need to not chat as much about weight loss since I'm finding myself become a little obsessive. I'm beginning to think maybe I need to take a break from weighing daily and stick to weighing weekly. I find myself thinking about food too much, thinking about how my weight will look the next day if I eat ___. Once the challenge is over I think I'll take a break from the scale entirely until I feel ready to lose weight and monitor that progress. A part of me will always have the mentality of someone who doesn't want to get fatter, so I'm not too worried about regaining loads of weight back. If I'm still not ready to participate in weighing with you guys by the time the next challenge is ready, then I'll still run the challenge but I won't participate in it until the time comes where I feel ready to face the scale.

I'm still going to exercise and try and eat healthy, but instead of doing it for the moment I step on the scale in the morning I'm going to start doing it for me - to change my lifestyle. I'm subconsciously putting too much emphasis on a number and letting it make me feel badly about myself. I should feel good that I went on a run, or I ate a nice healthy meal in the day, or I drank loads of water. If I do any of those things but the scale doesn't budge it saddens me. I had to take a scale break a couple of years ago for the same reasons, and I ended up feeling a lot better for it.

I think my weigh in day will be Friday, I'll still be reading your posts and replying to them, but my personal update will be summed up in one post a week.

--------------

Penny - Keep on trucking! You're still doing so well for someone who is so busy. A lot of people will use stress as an excuse to eat more, but if you're maintaining then that's still a huge accomplishment. Thanks for your support!
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:57 PM   #272  

S/C/G: 214/195/165

Height: 5'4"

I totally, feel you Ri! I have to weigh in daily since it is my motivation, but I am trying not to obsess over the fact that I am up a couple pounds. I just need to kick them off, and then try to maintain again. I am trying to be more active, I actually signed up for a free trial of Daily Burn and the BF and I tried it last night. It was actually pretty good!
HaveDogWillDiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:41 AM   #273  
Hello!

S/C/G: 215/168.4/159.8

Height: 5' 5"

It's a whopping 45 degrees where I live today (this is after a streak of 2-10 degree weather), so I'm feeling energetic! The darker days of winter don't bother me, but I do NOT like the cold.

I've been on a several month hiatus from cooking, but I'm finding that all the things I eat right now are tasting the same. I kind of want to get back into cooking, but my requirements are a) relatively inexpensive, b) short prep/cooking times (or I toss it in a crock pot and be done for hours), c) few ingredients, d) I enjoy the food. For some reason it's a tall order for me to do all that.

I'm looking into doing weekly meal plans, but it feels like a lot. I used to love cooking. Maybe if I start with a balance of premade and cooked foods? Anyone have experience starting this kind of thing up?

Rie: I AM kind of using stress as an excuse to eat more (just at maintence level instead of gaining level), which I need to quit doing (slippery, slippery slope for me). Or, well, an excuse to not measure accurately, anway.
I think there are always things about weight loss that cause people more stress. For me, it's cooking - I get really stressed trying to plan meals (thus my no-cooking streak now). Weighing can easily be stressful. Do what you need to do - there's no one right way for everyone. As you've seen, I've had to ease back on weight loss and posting for a while (for other reasons, but still). It happens. It's part of life and it's normal. I'll look forward to still hearing from you weekly on this thread. And I'm glad you're still running the chalenges (they're so great!).

HDWD: I find that when I'm maintaining at a weight, a couple pounds up and down doesn't bother me much. It's when I'm putting in a concerted effort to lose weight and don't see the scale move that it gets annoying. But whenever I quit weighing daily, I ALWAYS gain. Every. Single. Time. Can't do it. I wish there was a device that could record my daily weights without me having to see it always. Then I could just 'look' once a week or so, but still have the accountability and the record. Oh well. It works better for me if I keep on top of it.
What's Daily Burn? An app?
Penny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:50 PM   #274  

S/C/G: 172/165/132

Height: 5'8"

Rie - It's pretty cool of you that you would still run the challenge even if you wouldn't participate. As for becoming to obsessive, I expect weighing in weekly rather than every day should help, right? And like you said, don't focus on the number..

Penny - I am not much of a cook myself, but I am planning to buy some cookbooks to get me going. That should help? There seem to be plenty of cookbooks out there with light and quick recipes. I think having a book rather than looking up recipes online also brings some fun back into preparing the food, but maybe that's just me! Wish I could recommend a specific book though!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of cookbooks, I want to buy some for my boyfriend's birthday. I'd like a book that looks pretty and that's typical of either the US or more specifically, the Midwest. Any recommendations? I've gone vegetarian and lightly pressuring him to cut back on meat too, so vegetarian books would be great, but they don't have to be.

I weighed in today and am seeing a .2 lbs gain since last week. I did have a dinner party last Friday that featured some incredibly delicious and artery-clogging risotto, but other than that I know I have been doing really well. So I guess.. my body must just be adapting to my new regime and settling down after last week's big loss? It's hormonal? I'm gaining muscle, which could make sense because I've worked out so much? A combination of all those things?

In any case, I'm feeling really good and have more energy than before I started (probably because I'm eating less sugar). My roommate (a notorious morning person) has even complained that I've been getting up too early, and the kitchen is not big enough for the two of us, haha! So I guess that is a good sign. I am not going to let this short-term weight gain affect my motivation.
runthecontinent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:47 PM   #275  
Hello!

S/C/G: 215/168.4/159.8

Height: 5' 5"

Ugh, I already take back my previous post about cooking. I dug through my old recipes, which were delicious and healthy, but... I just can't do it! I don't have the will or the motivation (especially because I lose fine on other things)! It doesn't help that I have friends/family/boyfriend who always come over and eat all my food. So my hard work is for nothing even if I do cook. And I can't get all possessive over my food - it'll make me crazy.

So, yeah. I would like to formally withdraw my previous request for advice for cooking, and my statement that I want to start cooking again. It's apparently all a lie and induced by the nice weather.

runthecontinent: I actually did have some cookbooks I used to really like. It's kind of fun to work your way through them, sometimes.
I don't know a good cookbook with your specifications, but you might be able to find good, helpful review online. That's helped me before.
It's great that you feel more energetic! And for having a positive attitude about the normal fluctuations of weight loss. It's definitely not a steady drop for most people, but the overall trend is down (which is the key!).

Last edited by Penny105; 02-19-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Penny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:17 PM   #276  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

Hey guys!

Weight Loss: So today is Friday, my weekly update and weigh in woop woop! Yesterday I felt so much better when I decided I wasn't going to weigh in daily anymore, I felt a weight lift from my shoulders as cliched as it sounds. My weight this week is 164 lbs, which I'm happy about having weighed in at 166/165 lbs earlier in the week. Now comes the true test of waiting a week to weigh in, it'll be an interesting time waiting but I believe it's for the best. I'm sure I'll definitely feel curious along the way but I have to refrain! Yesterday was a good food day, I drank all my water, I didn't have chips with lunch but had fruit instead and generally I felt like I had done really well. I haven't worked out since Tuesday since I've been waiting for my legs to feel better. I've got a Zumba class tomorrow to get me back into the exercise routine! This weekend is going to be a challenge food wise, I'm just going to be mindful, remember to slow down when I eat and stop when I feel full.

Life: I've got a lot of work to do for a deadline next Friday, I'm a bit behind but I'm hoping by the end of today I'll be able to catch up and be right back on schedule to finish everything in time. If not, I'll just have to work on one of my weekend days. Sunday the BF and I are going to a friends house for a board games day. Should be a lot of fun! We're going to play the Game of Thrones board game which can be complicated to understand at first...I need to refresh my memory on the rules. On Monday it's said friends birthday party, we're going to go karting which I've never done before so that'll be fun! No plans so far for tonight or tomorrow but might be meeting with the BF's sister tomorrow. A busy weekend ahead .

---------------------------

Penny - I guess what I should have said was people use stress as an excuse to eat LOADS. Like, I'm gonna gain 20 lbs back loads. You're doing so well considering how much is going on in your life! I'll still be around to reply to peoples posts, I'll just save my personal update for once a week . No point in trying to force yourself to do something, one day you'll get back to cooking! I love cooking, personally, because I like to know what's going into my food. When I've had a SUPER healthy streak I can be a little critical when someone cooks for me, I just wanna know what they used and how they prepared everything! I've had to let that go since living with the BF's parents, because everything the BF's mum does is cooked in butter it seems.

HDWD - What's the Daily Burn?

runthecont - I think it'll help, I'll use the next couple of weeks as a test for weighing in weekly. If by the end of the challenge I'm still feeling disgruntled about my weight then I'm just gonna stop weighing altogether until I move out of the BF's parents house. I just can't eat the way I want here, I'm at the mercy of someone else's cooking half the time and I end up eating out 3 times a week. So I'd rather spend my concentration on breaking bad habits first THEN add weighing in to the equation! I imagine once we move out (which hopefully will be end of April/early May) then I can really focus on healthy eating again. I was dog sitting for someone and lived essentially on my own for 2 weeks and lost 4 lbs just because I was so in control of my food/snacks. I don't want to say "I can't lose weight here" but I know it'll be so much easier to lose weight when living with just the BF. So until then I'll focus on keeping on top of exercise, trying to make the right decisions with food and see what happens! Sorry for the vent!
Your gain could be any of those things! Not enough water, gaining muscle, period approaching, a new routine... I think you have to be consistent with a plan for at least a couple of weeks, if not a month, before changes start happening. So keep on trucking!
Old 02-19-2016, 05:11 PM   #277  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Hey guys! Popping in for my first check in for a while. Last week I went on a mini vacation to Vegas to see one of my best friends! Needless to say, my eating was not in check at all, and it took the rest of the week for me to get back to a good eating routine. I had a good time (for the most part...Vegas is kind of exhausting) and saw two really amazing shows plus a lion habitat! That weekend my boyfriend and I went on a long bike ride, probably about 20 miles. Longest ride in a long time. It was fun but I realized how out of shape I've gotten!

So I started this week SO ready to bike to work every day. The weather has been beautiful! Then BOOM. Tuesday I got sick. I was out half Tuesday, all of Wednesday, and have been in the office the rest of the week but am still feeling ill. My boyfriend and I have been getting sick quite a bit ever since we moved and I don't understand why I guess we aren't used to the new climate. Anyway, "thanks" to being sick my weight is back in a more manageable range right now.

Food note: I had been getting really lazy with meal planning and cooking, but recently my friend sent me a free week of meals through Hello Fresh. I LOVED IT! They send you all the ingredients you need to make three meals for two people. It was really awesome during a super busy week. It's a bit expensive, so I just signed up to try out Blue Apron instead with a Groupon I found. I scheduled that to come during another busy week I have coming up. I don't see myself using it too frequently because of the price, but it's a good tool during busy times to prevent me from eating out! Have any of you tried any of these services?
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 04:03 AM   #278  
Making Progress!

S/C/G: 210/ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

It's been a bad week for me and I'm expecting a gain on Monday. The new year energy seems to have been depleted! I'm going to spend some time today just quietly thinking about what it is I want to achieve in my weight loss and how far I still have to go; this week was bad because I didn't have a plan, so I need to refocus my attention.

Still really pleased of my progress on this challenge. I think it's important to remind ourselves that you've got to takes the highs and the lows with anything in life - particularly losing weight!
dayoneagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:46 PM   #279  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

For all those who like to weigh in a little early for the upcoming week. Week 7 weights are still open until tomorrow, see the link in my signature to submit your Week 7 weight! The charts for week 7 will be made tomorrow.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:56 AM   #280  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

Week 7 Charts everyone!

Overall Chart:

20-Somethings Chart:

Charts are top 15 biggest losers! If you want to join the challenge, please go to the first post of the thread and read the rules before joining. If you were already in the challenge and your information is gone from the spreadsheet, it's because you haven't weighed in for more than 2 weeks so you've been moved to Standby. Simply tell me you want back in and I'll move you back into the spreadsheet.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:04 PM   #281  

S/C/G: 214/195/165

Height: 5'4"

Ri Daily Burn is an online workout program...I saw ads for it on Hulu forever. You can get the first month free. It sounds like the kind of thing you might like since you do all your Insanity home workouts etc! You can choose 15, 30, 45 etc long workouts. Everything from weight lifting, cardio, pilates, etc. I think it is like $12.95 a month. http://dailyburn.com/?s1

Man I have not had a good two weeks! Up a few pounds still! The kitchen remodel and lack of kitchen sink is really getting to me. We just have food stacked and stored in the living room, and without a kitchen sink we do a lot of convenience food and snacking. But the sink and counters are getting installed on Wednesday so the END IS NEAR!!! I am focusing on conscious eating, being active, and drinking water, and I hope I can shake these extra "remodel pounds." It also doesn't help that we have friends and family over to help and then end up ordering food for everyone to eat and it is very hard to resist hot fresh food delivered when your kitchen has been out of commission!
HaveDogWillDiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:31 PM   #282  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

NNS - Vegas is exhausting isn't it? I went for 4 days once and that was enough! I think it's hard to build up fitness as a beginner, easy to lose it afterwards, but if you've built a foundation then it's easier to get back into it. So while you felt out of shape, I'm sure it won't take you long to get back into it. The BF didn't workout for 2 months but is now going regularly again and doing well. Sorry you got sick, that sucks especially when you're feeling so pumped! You know I've considered those food services, but I guess I wouldn't trust the ingredients to be any good? But it seems to be building in popularity and I can definitely see the benefit. So pricey though! If I was comfortable financially I'd consider it.

dayoneagain - 15 lbs in 7 weeks? You've got so much to be happy about!! I can understand the need to sit and reflect, I do it often .

HDWD - Oooh yeah, I heard an advert about that on the radio. It's a good idea! Oof, not having a kitchen sink must be bad! The end is in sight though!
Old 02-24-2016, 09:43 AM   #283  

S/C/G: 233/222.4/160

Height: 5'7"

YAY! I made it onto the chart!
I'm going to fight these last couple of weeks to hit my goal weight!
So excited now!

I have endometriosis which was being managed by Diane 35 but the last 2 months have been awful. That's been a major setback for me since joining this challenge but I have 3 mostly pain free weeks to look forward to so I'm fighting on!
debest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:31 AM   #284  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

HDWD - I can only imagine the struggle!! Happy New Sink Day! I'm sure the extra pounds will come back off quickly once you get back to a routine.

Ries - I am sure you are right about getting back to my fitness level. The days are finally getting longer so I think evening workouts will be more doable and I can get right back to where I left off. In my experience so far with Hello Fresh, the ingredients are better quality than what I would normally buy at the grocery store (they better be for the price!). The chicken I got was from a farm in Boulder! We'll see what happens when I get the Blue Apron order tomorrow.

debest - Glad to hear you have some pain-free weeks ahead of you! I can imagine it is tough to lose weight when battling chronic pain.

Today was the first day I took the bike into work for a while. Mornings have been so rough for me because I wake up feeling nauseous, so it was hard to convince myself to ride, but I had to because my boyfriend needs the vehicle. Sometimes that's the best way to get back to routine...by force! I still don't have much of an appetite, but I've been forcing myself to eat some fruit and drink gatorade so that I don't totally deplete my energy. Planning to go on a little hike this weekend so I have that to prep myself for!
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:02 AM   #285  

S/C/G: 233/222.4/160

Height: 5'7"

nonameslob: Way to Go! You're down 62lbs!! I hope to someday achieve that too. Hope you feel better soon. Way to keep going!
debest is offline   Reply With Quote