Old 04-12-2015, 04:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 317/278/150

Height: 5*3

Default Plus size bathing suit advice please

Can someone please give me advice on buying a swimsuit? I don't have any large family members or friends so I have nobody to really ask. We're going on vacation in a couple of weeks and I still haven't found a suit. I wear a size 24 and my bra is a 40H so I really want something that will actually hold my boobs up.
ReeseJimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Most swimsuits don't offer much in the way of actual support. You'll either want to wear a bra or swimsuit bra under your suit, or find a suit with a very structured built in bra (which are almost always an underwire).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 07:52 PM   #3  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeseJimi View Post
Can someone please give me advice on buying a swimsuit? I don't have any large family members or friends so I have nobody to really ask. We're going on vacation in a couple of weeks and I still haven't found a suit. I wear a size 24 and my bra is a 40H so I really want something that will actually hold my boobs up.
I liked the bathing suits at Lane Bryant/Cacique. they can run a a bit pricey, but they made top part pretty supportive when I wore a 40D (kaplods is right, they had an underwire to make it so supportive). They have different sizing, some based on bra size (I'm not sure if they go up to 40H), but some based on size like 22/24... I also remember owning a bathing suit from Torrid, but I got it on ebay for half the price and it fit well...

I follow a couple of fatshionistas and MonifC and Gabifresh both make a line of swimwear that look supportive based on reviews, but again those are pricey swimwear (In my opinion)

Last edited by kisskiss; 04-12-2015 at 07:53 PM.
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:12 PM   #4  

The moderators often delete duplicate posts so I copied my more detailed post from your other thread, so it won't get lost if one gets deleted.

Swimsuits usually have useless bras. Those with underwires can be decent, but if they're cut too low (which most of them are), you risk your boobs slipping out, right over the top with any activity more strenuous than sunbathing.

I recommend wearing your own bra under your suit - fullbeauty.com sells a swimsuit bra. I bought one. It is a strapless underwire, with detachable and adjustable straps that can be reconfigured in a variety of ways. It also comes with a set of transparent straps. It's made of quick dry fabric and has a thin silicone band along the top edge, which adheres to your skin enough to keep the "girls" from going AWOL.

If you have very delicate or sensitive skin, the band isn't very comfortable, and it's not the easiest bra to put on without help if you don't have the dexterity to put on a bra properly. The no-slip features make it nearly impossible to hook the bra in the front and then slide the bra right side around (as I need to do).

It's wonderful though for strapless swimsuits (and dresses. I wore it under my bridesmaid dress for my sister's wedding last summer).

A less expensive, more comfortable option is any of your favorite regular bras, but you'll need to take along a few extra, because they can take longer to dry.

For swimming, I like cotton jersey (t-shirt) knit bras. The front-hook styles are easiest to get on and off (especially wet), but the backhook bras are more flattering in my opinion. Depending on the suit style, the difference isn't always significant though.

Fullbeauty.com I believe carries only to G, but in my experience, the unpadded jersey bras almost always tend to run about one cup larger than other bras, so there's a good chance that a 40G would fit well, or you might want to try a 42G.

Fullbeauty and swimsuitsforall.com have a lot of nice suits, and both sell separates which is very convenient if your top and bottom are different sizes (I'm a size 26-28 on top and a size 32-34 bottom, so I'm of course partial to separates.

I also like separates, because of the mix and match options. Also, tops seem to wear out faster than bottoms, so when I buy a new piece (top or bottom), I like it to match the other pieces I have already. Black bottoms print tops (with a little black in the print) are my personal favorites. With a matching or coordinating bra, even if the straps show, they will look like part of the swimsuit.

If you can, I'd recommend getting two tops and two bottoms (or two suits) so you can avoid or limit the need to wriggle into a wet suit while you're on vacation. One suit can be drying, while you're wearing the other.

Bcoutlet.com (fullbeauty's sale and clearance website) sometimes has AWESOME
swimsuit sales and both sites have great sale promotion codes (20-50% off) they'll email to you if you register to the site.

Wearing your own bra really increases your swimsuit options, and I find it really helps boost self-confidence and minimizes self-consciousness because you feel like your normal, clothed self in the water, not like you're wearing a swimsuit or nightgown.

http://www.dreamstormdesigns.etsy.com
etsy link by permission from 3fc! Want to add yours? Ask them!
Last edited by kaplods : Today at 01:05 AM.
kaplods is online now Report Post

Last edited by kaplods; 04-12-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:26 PM   #5  

Here are a few styles that are similar to the ones I wear with my own bras (I prefer skirted bottoms though). With these suits, the bra usually doesn't show at all, or peeks through like a camisole.

http://www.fullbeauty.com/clothing/T...pos=507&Splt=0

http://www.fullbeauty.com/clothing/B...pos=524&Splt=0

http://www.fullbeauty.com/clothing/O...pos=516&Splt=0

http://www.fullbeauty.com/clothing/G...pos=502&Splt=0

http://www.fullbeauty.com/clothing/S...pos=465&Splt=0
http://www.fullbeauty.com/clothing/H...pos=475&Splt=0

Last edited by kaplods; 04-12-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:10 AM   #6  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

I got a very flattering suit from Old Navy a few years back. It had underwire, but no padding - I think if I had added some padding it would have been perfect. I wouldn't do any diving in it, but for general vacation type purposes it perfect. Unfortunately it seems their pricing has gone up quite a bit!
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:57 PM   #7  

An underwire is ideal, but unfortunately most (as in nearly all) plus size underwire suits are made to fit a D/DD cup at most. Finding an underwire suit to fit an H cup is going to be a challenge unless you're willing to pay $250 to $300 or more for a custom suit.

I would love an underwire suit, but haven't found one that my F/G cup boobs don't fall out of.

An online friend recommended the sancturarie website, but their suits (at the time), while the fabric is very ample in the chest, didn't have any kind of built in bra, and the website recommended wearing your own bra.

Their styles are extremely limited and somewhat old-fashioned, but you can choose your top and bottom length, so if you want a swimsuit that covers your knees, they will make it for you.

I never ordered from them, but I was impressed with their willingness to customize for a reasonable price.

http://sanctuarie-net.stores.yahoo.net/nebasuswdr.html

So far, I've found the best prices and options at fullbeauty.com. The suits I have now from them (three tankinis) have built-in, soft cup or shelf bras. One has absolutely no support and looks horrible without my own bra underneath. My other two are the same style and have only a bit more support, but the suit is gathered above and below the bust, so it gives the illusion of a more supported bust. For the best look though, I wear my swim bra or one of my other underwire bras.

Fullbeauty has a swim t-shirt (a short-sleeved, crew neck t-shirt in swimsuit fabric) that I think is really adorable. It comes in several solid colors and a print or two. I sunburn crazy easily, but hate swimming while a wearing cover-up over my suit. Even though I have two new suits, I really would love to get the swim-t and maybe matching bottoms.

Last edited by kaplods; 04-13-2015 at 07:28 PM.