Fat Figure Skater

• I'm coming back here because I need support. I'm about to leave for a week long vacation in Portland (for a conference for my career) where I plan on trying new food, but also being very aware of what I eat because I don't want to come back 10 pounds heavier.

I am an illustrator for a living and over the last year and a half my health went to the wayside while I worked to get my business going and my name out there. That was successful, but sadly I put on 20 pounds (maybe more at this point) and I'm terribly unhappy with how I look.

On top of this, I figure skate. I'm not far along, but if you know skating I'm testing pre-juvenile/juvenile moves in the field and adult bronze freestyle in November. I don't want to be this weight for my test. Ideally I would love to be down 40 pounds by November, which I think is doable if I stick to this and really overhaul my diet. I have a major carb addiction and that works against me.

I just need support. I need to stay active here and have people that can help cheer me on and know I'm not alone.
  • Congratulations on getting your business going! That's amazing. It's a shame your weight suffered a bit, but it happens. Time to forgive yourself for it and think positively about your future weight loss journey.

Try not to think of yourself as a fat figure skater, you're a figure skater. Your weight is only important to you and if you're unhappy with it then let's work on trying to change.

So tell us how tall you are, how much you weigh and what your plan is.
  • That's amazing that you figure skate. I like to skate as well, but Im terrible at it.
  • Thanks guys.

I'm 5'0", 5'1" on a good day haha. Last I checked I was 170 pounds. I've been told I don't look it, because I have muscle, but there's definitely a lot of fat there.

I leave for a trip tomorrow, and plan on walking a lot while I'm there and making smart choices (though I'm totally trying a Portland donut) and then when I get back, overhauling my diet.
  • Quote: Thanks guys.

I'm 5'0", 5'1" on a good day haha. Last I checked I was 170 pounds. I've been told I don't look it, because I have muscle, but there's definitely a lot of fat there.

I leave for a trip tomorrow, and plan on walking a lot while I'm there and making smart choices (though I'm totally trying a Portland donut) and then when I get back, overhauling my diet.
    Alright! What does "overhauling" your diet mean? What's your plan? Counting calories? More protein? It's good to not be too restrictive when you're first starting out but it's also wise to have some sort of a plan.
  • Quote:
    Try not to think of yourself as a fat figure skater, you're a figure skater
    True that.

I hula hoop. I do not have the average body type of a lot of hoopers but do you know how many messages I get daily explaining how much I inspired them? I think the people I have inspired have lost more weight than I have! If I let my weight get me down, I wouldn't hoop at all. I want to get fit to be a fitter hooper to be able to do more. Not to be tiny like everyone else. I feel like when I am hooping it's for the joy it gives me. Yes, I've wanted to win contests but it's not all about that. Hopefully skating gives you the same sort of joy and you don't let it ruin your skating.
  • What Riestrella said about thinking of yourself as a figure skater, not a fat figure skater is wonderful! It's very true, you can't let being fat be part of your identity or it will make you feel sad, underconfident and demotivated. I myself am a cheerleader and I always have to perform in short skirts but if an activity is fun and you are good at it then more power to you! Plus, figure skating will help you lose weight so just keep living your life and having a good time and positive self image and a year from now you will be a weight you are more comfortable with!
  • I used to skate too and when I quit in my mid 30's is when I gained the weight. Skating burns a ton of calories. Just do a ton of laps, and a ton of jumps and add something else to the mix cause your body is already used to skating (but you can't stop)
  • Hey everyone!

Thank you for the kind words. I was away on a work trip so I've been MIA.

"Overhauling" meaning picking better choices at the grocery store and being more aware of what I'm eating. I came back with a slight sinus cold so between that and deadlines this week I haven't made it to the gym, but I've tried eating a little better.
  • Alright, trigger foods are out of the house. I've been fighting sinus sickness so I've basically had a lot of chocolate this week. It's gone now, so no more temptation.

I have a bunch of smart ones meals in my fridge. Thinking of having those and fruit/veggies for a few weeks to get things moving. When I cook, I have trouble portioning and with all my work deadlines and such, I need an easy meal plan. Smart ones worked before, and then when I started cooking for myself, I started gaining back because I'd eat too much.

Hopefully by Monday I'll be back in the gym.