Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 11:01 AM   #1  

Default introduce myself

hello all.

i'm a 23 yr old graduate student, currently enrolled at georgia state university in atlanta. i'm at home for the summer in mobile, alabama right now.

i currently weigh 215 ... that's what the scale at the doctors office said this past friday. i'm 5'7" and i wear a size 16 jean. the last time i had a signifcant weight loss was my junior-senior yr of undergrad (almost 2 years ago). i didn't do much. i cut out fried food and exercised more. i think i was stressed with school and all. when i came home for the summer before my senior year i had gone from 221 to 200. and by graduation i weighed 193. now, all this time i was still wearing a loose size 16 at 193 pounds. and i was wearing a nice fitting 14 from layne bryant. and some things i could buy a 14 in. now my 14's are tight , but i can still wear them. which i don't get. at 215 that's like 22 pounds. i shouldn't be able to fit in them at all. before i lost the weight i was wearing an 18... so now that i've gained it back why am i not in an 18 again.

anyway, i know that my eating habits are totally shot. i still workout, but not nearly as long as i used to. i'm trying to get back to an hour a day for 5 days. i was doing 30-45 mins a few (maybe 3 or 4 days) days a week before i came home for the summer. i really just need help on getting my eating under control. i have a major sweet tooth. i can give up grease, and mayo and cheese... but cookies and ice cream anyway... we'll talk more later i'm very excited about getting serious and having some people that i can really talk to about my weight demons
Old 06-09-2003, 11:37 AM   #2  
12 pounds lost in 2006

Welcome nastarual!! I too have a sweet tooth as well. Ice cream is my favorite! I haven't given up sweets entirely I just eat them in moderation. I found that to be the best thing for me because I tried giving it up entirely and it didn't work .

NEWAY's welcome to 3FC and good luck Feel free to join in on any forums or check out the member journals. They are pretty motivating .
Old 06-11-2003, 09:39 AM   #3  

HI!! I just joined also!! It's tough to get motivated to get going and to keep going!! I don't have a sweet tooth so I can, for the most part, pass on that, however I lot salt!!! So, I have some lower fat chips that I will have the exact serving size of and that's it. I put them in baggies or tupperware containers so I don't have the bag in front of me...that helps to motivate me. For sweets I have pineapple, grapes, strawberries and that tides me over. Or a small amount of ice cream with lots of berries!! Cooking Light has a lot of good lower fat ideas on sweets.

Anyway, I am just getting started!! So if you would like some support I also need the motivation!!! :-)
Old 07-15-2003, 10:37 AM   #4  

Talking Understand about the sweet tooth...

I'm also new to these boards! I've recently gotten back into exercising and realize now how much I love it! Once I learned to enjoy it, it helped so much. I've been working out consistently for almost 2 months now. Just added the healthier eating aspect about 2 weeks ago! I've lost 2 1/2 lbs., so something must be working!
About sweets....I've found I definitely can't cut them all the way out, because I'd just be setting myself up for a potential binge. However, the best way (for me) to make sure I don't overdo is to just have them when I'm "out" somewhere. Go out for dessert once a week....make it a special treat & something to look forward to....that may help.
Good luck on your journey! Keep working hard and you WILL see results!!
Old 07-29-2003, 01:49 AM   #5  
Arizona Girl

I am brand new...as of tonight. I actually have always visited and read...but today I decided I needed the support of all of you! So here I am. I currently weigh 231-my ultimate goal weight is 165 by December. So I am restarting the atkins diet...it worked for me a while ago, so I know it will work again esp with all the lo carb food they have now. I also started working out two weeks ago, I work out six days a week for an hour a day. I work out from 4a-5a at the gym at my apts. Thank God my good friend who also lives here is able to come with, and the baby stays at home with Daddy. I sacrifice sleep. But actually I start out my day with a good work out and find I have so much energy, and I am able to accomplish much more in the early mornings before my 3 yr old wakes up and requires all of my attention (you know brush my curls, help me tie my shoe...make breakfast...the normal Mom chores, lol).
Anyway I hope to be successful. I have my 10 yr HS reunion to go to on November 8th ( I was captain of the Varsity Cheerleading squad, imagine how cute and small I was-and I thought I was fat then-NOTTTTTTTTT! LOL) ...I know I won't be at my ultimate goal by then...but at least I won't look like the little porker I am today (ha ha )
Well...thanks for the good info!
Old 07-29-2003, 09:52 AM   #6  

Good morning to all. I started the South Beach Diet yesterday, after being on Sugar Busters for two years and I feel great. Sorry I can't relate about the sweet tooth..once I gave up the sugar, I really had no cravings for it anymore. However, I think your ideas about sugar in moderation are healthy. Don't sweat the class reunion- my ten year was last Saturday. Just focus on the fact that you have made a committment to be healthy and more fit..that should make you feel good about yourself. Of course you are not going to be the same size as you were in high school-people grow up and their bodies mature. Also, you have had a child-go easy on yourself. Most of the people I saw at my reunion, bodies had changed. I felt really good about myself. I am sucessful, healthy, and happy. my self worth is not determined by some number on a scale-have a great day-Ashley
Old 07-29-2003, 07:30 PM   #7  
comeback member

Welcome to Julia and Jackie...Together we can all do it!!

Sacha
Old 07-30-2003, 12:35 PM   #8  

Welcome Jackie0. So I have heard a bit about this South Beach Diet, but can you tell me more? Is it like Atkins? Or whats the difference?
Old 07-30-2003, 02:27 PM   #9  

Hey Tonic- South beach is similar to Atkins but a lot less restrictive. It is actually closer to Sugarbusters, which I have been on for two years. It starts with a two week induction phase in which you eat lean protein and vegetables-no real carbs, including fruit and dairy. After the two weeks you reintroduce carbs-but the whole grain kind and continue with no sugar. It has a lot less saturated fat than Atkins. I am doing it only to shake up my plateau, but I plan to continue with Sugarbusters for the rest of my life. One day at a time- Ashley
Closed Thread