Thank GOODNESS for 3FC!!

• Minor rant here. Anybody else have "friends" or acquaintances, maybe on Facebook or whatever, that "want to partner up" or get together and try to be a weight loss support group... And they're not motivated, at all??! it makes me crazy. I literally had a girl tell me that I was "way too giddy" about it!! Seriously! Such a downer! I want to help and GET there. And they SAY they do, but they kindof bring me down... :/ is it better for me to just keep soldiering along without trying to help others?

Anybody have this in their life? Advice??
  • OMG I know how you feel! I can't tell you how many times I've heard "Oh I could never diet. I couldn't starve myself like that." Or they just look at me weird when I mention that I actually eat healthy and work out. I mean, great, your choice is to sit there and eat Ramen and have really bad health issues when you're old...but mine isn't. Drives me crazy!

When I'm confronted by that, part of me is seriously let down, but after a moment I silently brush it off and change the subject, reminding myself that I'm doing what I'm doing for me, not them. And if they don't like it or want to be lazy about it then tough!
  • Yeeeah. I tried to get a health group going on facebook and had tons of support in its early stages. Friends were messaging me for invites and seemed very excited about joining.

The first week of the group went well. Everyone was posting their food intake, exercise, and progress.

Then, come second week, people just kinda stopped posting and getting excited about it. =/ It was weird. Now it's just a ghost group because everyone's still a member of the group, but no one posts in it. I didn't want to be the ONLY one listing stuff, so I abandoned it too. OH WELL!! Months later, I came here and found you guys. And yall are much more motivated than my other group.
  • I have a health group on Facebook that a friend of mine who is one of my admin decided to help me run. So we made the page, I've literally posted religiously everyday... and my friend hasn't posted since maybe week 2. We were trying to get everyone to get to know each other by posting their stories... I posted mine.. she didn't post hers. I find it really frustrating. I do have a couple of people on my health group that are really good about following along if not posting regularly. I thought it would be neat to have a group of ladies that are close to me but unfortunately not everyone wants to lose it as bad as others.
  • Quote: I have a health group on Facebook that a friend of mine who is one of my admin decided to help me run. So we made the page, I've literally posted religiously everyday... and my friend hasn't posted since maybe week 2. We were trying to get everyone to get to know each other by posting their stories... I posted mine.. she didn't post hers. I find it really frustrating. I do have a couple of people on my health group that are really good about following along if not posting regularly. I thought it would be neat to have a group of ladies that are close to me but unfortunately not everyone wants to lose it as bad as others.
    That's EXACTLY how my group was. I'm gonna assume they were just lazy when it came to posting (I know some wholesome lazy people, trust me). Two of my friends got excited about joining and didn't post ONE SINGLE THING. C'mon guys. What gives? Maybe overnight they just decided to say screw it, we'll get healthy later on down the road.

Didn't want to sound pressuring, so I just let it go.
  • Mine was even on a smaller scale! I just had a few girls that acted really interesetd in a group message, and nobody was even active the first day! :/ what a bummer! I had ideas, and questions and I wanted to help them out, nope. Nada. Ad the one girl was like. "Yeah I'm going to cut carbs tomorrow." ....I sense so much procrastination in them that I think they're just going to bring me down! so I'm just riper glad you all are here!!
  • I'm so glad to have 3FC. My husband and I are doing this joint weightloss blog. Were each suppose to lose 100 lbs, so 200 pounds together. We started in December and so far I've made 4 or 5 posts. . . and he's only made is first post. It drives me nuts. And it's not like he hasn't lost weight. . . He's lost 8 lbs. And all of our friends have been hounding him to post more. He just isn't motivated, but it was his idea in the first place and I just kinda ran with it. Of course it seems like he's lost those eight by sitting on the couch doing nothing while I've been working super hard to lose the 15 that I have lost. Stinking males and their ability to lose weight so easily!
  • It just makes ya want to hit guys sometimes, don't it? Haha! I totally agree with you guys, I had actually started a weight loss challenge with a group of my friends, with a cash reward for the winner of the challenge.. 200 bucks worth. Even money wasn't enough to keep anyone of them posting after day 1. oy.

I've been on 3FC for yeaaaaaaaaaaaars but I've never really taken advantage of it, so now, I'm really going all in-- you are all going to see me around her e for a while, haha!

Edit: my profile says I joined July of '12 but this is a newer account, my old account was started in 2010
  • Oh man it's so frustrating! I have a couple that are posting something every day or so but I think we've added 35 people. One left the group and about 30 of them don't post or anything. They always want to partner up when they see you succeeding they just expect your success to be theirs without any of the work. lol
  • And don't even get me STARTED on Facebook statuses I've seen of acquaintances on my FB that "can't wait until income tax time" because they're going to buy a bunch off Bee Pollen and "finally lose the weight" it really upsets me that they don't want to change their life and get healthy, with weight loss as a side effect, you know? I mean don't get me wrong. I want to lose the weight, (we all do) but I want to be healthy and fit, not skinny and with a ruined metabolism, and bound to gain it all back in like a year and be miserable again! :/ grr.
  • Quote:
    I've seen of acquaintances on my FB that "can't wait until income tax time" because they're going to buy a bunch off Bee Pollen and "finally lose the weight"
    Is that the new acai berry/green bean diet miracle? VOMIT.

I actually made a group but yeah, not a lot of people posted. I stopped really posting. I try not to make statuses about weight loss. I deny any weight loss at the moment. I'm guessing after I hit the 200 lb mark, I will admit I've lost a "little" weight. I don't want people to be watching me like a hawk if I fail or if I am eating an ice cream randomly.
  • Quote: And don't even get me STARTED on Facebook statuses I've seen of acquaintances on my FB that "can't wait until income tax time" because they're going to buy a bunch off Bee Pollen and "finally lose the weight" it really upsets me that they don't want to change their life and get healthy, with weight loss as a side effect, you know? I mean don't get me wrong. I want to lose the weight, (we all do) but I want to be healthy and fit, not skinny and with a ruined metabolism, and bound to gain it all back in like a year and be miserable again! :/ grr.
    BEE POLLEN?? What the heck is bee pollen going to do for weight loss?? What ever happened to veggies and protein?? Good gracious!

This is why I'm such an introvert lol. Society is messed up. I'm so glad I have 3FC and all you fine chicks for a support group. Honestly, if it weren't for all of the chatting I do around here and amazing recipes I find, I'd have quit (once again!) two weeks ago out of sheer boredom and frustration. So, thank you!
  • Yeah most people really aren't ready to make the commitment :/ I've tried to get my friends in real life to join me and I've had people express interest, but it never lasts very long. The only time it did was this summer when my best friend lived with me. But that's because she was staying with me and really didn't have much of a choice lol
    Also, I don't really talk much about my weight loss either. I want to, and I want to discuss the kind of stuff we talk about on 3FC, but people weird out when I do. It seems they either think I'm judging them(which is ridiculous) or they go on some rant that I should't lose anymore weight(which is also ridiculous). It really gets harder and harder to talk about with people as you get closer to goal unfortunately.
    About bee pollen-that's been pretty big in California for years now. People consider it a magic super food, I knew a girl who tried to live off it(bad idea).
  • Any "miracle weight loss" ANYTHING is almost guaranteed to be horrible for your health! Turns out some forms of "bee pollen" are basically Fen Fen (or however it's spelled) and it was outlawed because it was KILLING PEOPLE! helloo?! Weight loss is for your health and a good life! Not to kill ya! Quite the opposite! That's the biggest thing that irks me!

& I know people would get weirded out if I tried to explain 3fc too, which is stupid, but I just avoid it. And I'm glad I'm not the only one kindof keeping the weightloss to myself until it becomes noticeable and apparent! I don't want unsolicited "help" or "advice" (that's what all you lovely wonderful friends are for! and again. So happy that all of you lovelies exist! ) I want to get the "wow you look great!" Or "what are you doing?!" And just generally get where I want to get, for me. Work hard. Turn heads. And be the girl the people who care about me SHOULD see when they look at me, instead of being the funny one, or the best friend with the great personality. I want to be a triple threat and then some! who's with meeee!!
  • I'm afraid I might be one of 'those people', girls. I promised myself in Dec that I was going to lose the weight this year (which is usually about as far as I get ) and am STILL trying to psych myself up to make the changes I should. But I will agree, the people on this forum are kinda awesome.

On bee pollen (I used to work for an apiary), it's actually just pollen. As in, from flowers. So it's technically mostly protein/trace minerals, but because it is RIDICULOUSLY unrealistic to try and 'harvest' it, the pollen stores are sometimes taken out of bee hives instead (the bees use it to feed their larvae). The **** out of China isn't usually proper pollen; and if it IS, it tends to be contaminated with horrible pesticides. The 'real' stuff is most beneficial if it's sourced as close to you as possible. But personally, I think the whole health kick about bee pollen is a load of bull excrement. But I tend to think we should just leave the bees to themselves, instead of stealing their food anyway (erm, well some of it - they usually make too much honey anyway ), so I'm biased.

+1 on wanting to healthy/fit instead of 'losing weight' - fingers crossed we all get there as fast as is healthy/possible!