3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   The Thin Woman's Brain [Book Recommendation] (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/291692-thin-womans-brain-%5Bbook-recommendation%5D.html)

Jelbb 01-15-2014 05:09 PM

The Thin Woman's Brain [Book Recommendation]

I've been yo-yo'ing since I was single-digits-years-old. I've been here at 3FC many times before, I lost 40 lbs, I gained it all back plus 10. (Ugh.) All the while, I was banging my head against a wall, wondering where my willpower was!?!? :(

Recently, I hit my highest weight, and once again recommitted myself to getting the weight off. I downloaded 5 eating and weightloss-related audiobooks that I just hoped would inspire and motivate me to be able to get back down to my goal weight.

Instead, I found a book that is changing my life.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...SH20_OU15_.jpg

That's a pretty grand sweeping statement given I'm only a few weeks in, but NEVER, in my entire life, have I been able to eat and enjoy food without anxiety, stress and intense guilt that usually surrounds it. And now I am. AND losing weight! :carrot:

This book is about the brain-level differences between a naturally thin woman--- one of those chicks who leaves half the food on her plate because "she's full," and is offered a cookie and says, "Oh thanks, I'll save it for later!"--- and people like me. People who are addicted to food, who fantasize about it, who inhale their meals, can't leave food on the plate and never... feel satisfied. I used to MOURN my food as it disappeared from my plate, and even fantasize about having a time machine where I could go back in time and re-eat my meal again without doubling the calories.

This book uses cognitive behavioural therapy and understanding your neurological reactions to food, to help you to (quite literally) rewire your brain to restore your "naturally thin woman neural nets."

In the past week and a half, through using the strategies in this book to change my approach to food and eating (coupled with exercise and somewhat healthy eating with a few treats here and there), I've dropped 8 lbs. ...Granted, that's probably a lot of water bloat I was hanging on to, but the truly amazing thing is... I was barely trying. It took less than HALF of the effort of some of the "diets" I've followed. And best of all... I feel like I can do this for the rest of my life.

ANYHOW.
I had to rant and rave because I'm so excited with how well this is going for me, and I wanted to share!

Amazon Reviews: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/097...pf_rd_i=507846

http://www.thinwomanbrain.com/

SarahLynn77 01-21-2014 09:50 PM

This book looks amazing! I've been looking for something to interest me again and this could be just what I was looking for! I hope you're doing well, haven't seen you post in awhile. Thanks for sharing :)

Jelbb 01-22-2014 02:01 PM

Ahhh hi lady!!

I'm doing really good at the moment. I wasn't for a bit, but now things are going pretty phenomenal. With life in general AND weight loss-wise. :) You!?

And definitely give it a shot, I get the impression that it won't necessarily resonate with EVERYONE, but if you do happen to be a food addict (hi, that's me.) the strategies in here are amazing.

gigantosaurus 01-23-2014 12:23 AM

This is interesting - thanks for sharing! I'm not sure how much of a food addict I am... I can usually push meals away when I'm full, but when it comes to snacks/sweets, I'm a monster when it comes to grazing and going back for seconds and thirds. D: I'll definitely check this out!

jayohwhy 01-23-2014 11:23 AM

oh wow! Thanks for the tip, and it's nice to see you! I've regained and I bought this book last night, it's really eye opening. There's so much information in it, though, that I'm having trouble remembering the important points!

Jelbb 01-23-2014 03:39 PM

Miss Saurus--- You and me both lady. I'm a snacker through and through, especially when I'm bored. It's bruuutal. The book does go into the difference between genuine physical hunger and what she terms "brain hunger"--- a hardwired brain-level "must eat!" response to non-hunger based situations--- and how to rewire your brain to address it. (For me? The brain hunger is almost always boredom-based.)

JOY!!!!!! <3 :hug:
Good to see you too baby doll. Ugh, hate to hear you regained as well, but at least we're not in the boat alone. And I'm glad to have someone else I know who's reading it as well!
I've found the same--- that it's hard to hang onto the most important points in amongst all the scientific evidence and anecdotal proof... especially because I listened to the audiobook first. I ordered a physical copy so I can go through and highlight/dog ear/re-read bits and pieces that seem particularly relevant to me.

Keep me posted on how you're doing, I want to hear all about it! <3

Jaymie77 01-23-2014 08:25 PM

Jelbb- thanks for the recommendation!! I'm reading 'the Beck Diet Solution' right now and I love it. When I'm done, I'll definitely check out 'the Thin Woman's Brain'!

I find it fascinating how differently I think about food compared to my slender friends. It's crazy.

Jelbb 01-25-2014 10:38 AM

Jaymie!!

Thanks for your book recommendation! It seems like the concepts are completely identical, and I'd LOVE to read another book by a different author covering the same ideas to see how they spin things differently!

Cheers, I'll be getting the Beck Diet! :carrot:

---and. You and me both. I still tell people about the time someone offered my slender girl friend an Oreo, and she said, "Oh, thanks!" and tucked it into the pocket of her tight pair of jeans. "For later. :)" :lol:

Catsie 11-21-2014 01:14 PM

Greetings, Everyone. I'm new to 3FC, just registered.

I too have my fat story. It's long, it's bad, it's sad, and it is probably in most respects not different than yours.

I just wanted to add that I too am on order for The Thin Woman's Brain book, and I too can't wait. I have suspected for a long time that CBT is not only the best solution, but the only solution. The brain doesn't care, it seems, about the what of the addiction; it cares only about the fact of the addiction. Booze, carbs, nicotine, gambling, don't care, doesn't matter, could be addicted to tree bark for all I care; just keep that dopamine fed and you and I -- your loving brain -- will get along just fine.

The creep. :mad:

And to the poster with the skinny friend who put an Oreo in her jeans pocket (I know, right? Impossible to imagine): I guess she didn't sit down again until she could take the jeans off? :cool:

izzyboomama 11-22-2014 06:13 PM

I'm going to have to check this out!
I've felt the same way you have since I started counting my bites. It's just portion control. Having the strength to just push that plate of food away means I have zero anxiety about food for the first time in my life! Thanks for the recommendation!