Old 02-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #76  

S/C/G: 200+/160.8/135

Height: 5'5.5

Silverfire-sounds like a fun and delicious celebration! And yeah planks are hard! I did this ab exercise challenge over the summer and at the end of it they had you doing 2 min planks They are really hard! Side planks are the hardest for me though ugh haha

So weight is holding at 143.8 the past two days. Its a little up from last week, but still a decent loss overall So far this thing I've been doing where I have a little treat everyday instead of having cheat meals/days is working amazingly well. Not cheating is a little later on in my goals, but I figure its better to try and start implementing it now since I know its going to be hard! Hope everyone has a fabulous weekend
Dottington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:38 PM   #77  
Katherine

S/C/G: 283/280/172

Height: 5'10

Well. I only have a few hours to complete week 2. I managed to get through my nutritional goal this week: One vegetarian day. But as far as my exercise goals I have been really failing. My goal was to get a strength training workout in this week and I also wanted to get my two cardio sessions in from Goal 1. So far I have done 1 cardio and no strength. I was going to hit up the gym this morning but I went outside and my car wouldn't start! It's way to cold to do cardio outside in my opinion. Hoping when my hubby gets home I can convince him to go to the gym with me, and hopefully the car issue is just from the bitter cold.

I've been really putting of the strength training. That part of the gym really intimidates me. My husband offered to go and help me, but honestly I think that would make it worse. That upset him, but its just how I feel! I just feel like such an idiot at the gym, even around him. I guess I don't want him to realize how clueless and weak I am. We have a relationship where we poke fun at each other a lot, and I know he would do that to lighten the mood a bit, but the gym is just somewhere I don't think I could take that. I know he's just trying to be supportive though, and it was nice that he offered to help me.
kailpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:14 AM   #78  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

W2 was mostly a success I think... I knew I wasn't going to be able to get 5 days of squats and planks in, so I doubled up a day. Phew was that ever painful lol. I don't think I'll be doing that again if I can help it!! Wasn't terribly stoked at this weeks weight changes, but hopefully that is just water retention!

There was one day that I didn't actually have a single glass of water. Instead I sipped away on a really expensive cold-pressed juice that a friend bought for me. It was pineapple and coconut water with chia seeds. It was so filling. I had zero desire to drink anything else for the whole day so I decided to let that day slide

W3 will be better, I don't expect it to be nearly as busy as last week was.

Kailpea - Ah man, that whole weight area of the gym is so scary. Especially the free weights. Machines are far less intimidating. There are usually instructions on the side of the machine and are a bit more "idiot-proof" (Although... I have seen some people use them in some pretty interesting ways!) I currently hang out there, longing for the balls to cross the threshold to the free weights world! I try to (as not obviously as I can) watch the other people in there, how they do things, and then imagine myself doing them! It's super awesome your hubby offered to help though, but I TOTALLY understand your reservations about it. I tried to convince my bf to come to the gym with me (he doesn't need to, he's skinny already, but I thought he could maybe learn to run with me) he wasn't really on board, and thinking about it more, it is probably for the best. Before I went to the gym, I thought I needed a friend to come with me all the time. But really I just wanted someone for the FIRST time. Then I was way happier on my own, doing my own thing. I would like to find someone to help me into the free weights area for the first time I think. Maybe you just need your hubby for moral support the first time, just to get you going, but with the strict understanding that while you love the help and support, you'll be able to do it in yourself after that.

Dott 2 minute planks makes my non-existent abs hurt just thinking about it!! Ugh!! I like the idea of having treats instead of full cheat meals! Though I would have a hard time not letting those treats lead to full meals I think Good luck!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #79  
Katherine

Well. . . It's official. I failed my week two exercise goal so I'll be completing the week over. =(
Old 02-10-2014, 01:30 PM   #80  

silverfire-yeah I think little treats throughout the week work for some, but not others. It seems other people do well being super strict all week then having a meal/day of eating whatever they like instead of a little treat each day. You will totally get to 2 min planks by the end of this journey! Great job on completing week 1 of goal two

kailpea- Try not to beat yourself up too much. This challenge is about discovering yourself and I think a lot of us are realizing that some of these early goals we thought would be easy are harder then we realized, especially if you have a busy week it can be really hard to get in. You made your nutritional goal though which is great! You will get your goals accomplished and there really is no rush because its about making these lifelong habits. One week really isn't that big of a set back in the whole scheme of things at all. Also, maybe if that area of the gym is too intimidating you could try at home strength training? Either body weight exercises, or buying some weights and the New Rules of Lifting for Woman, or looking up at home exercises? Or maybe you could arrange a meeting with a trainer at the gym to go over the equipment one time? I agree, that area is really intimidating. In fact, I think gyms are so intimidating all together I refuse to go! I do all my workouts at home or in nature Best of luck!

Rie-How's the job/living situation going? Hope you're doing well!

I was really happy with my weekend It was so nice to get away and see my bf in LA. Sat we looked at cars since he's looking to buy a new one, and it was boring and long and tiring but I managed not to complain and whine too much For food I made us an epic mexican inspired breakfast that kept us pretty full till a late lunch/early dinner at this vegan restaurant I like. Then we decided to have a drink and relax at home in the evening. I had a bottle of pear cider and he had some plain whiskey. It was fun. Then yesterday went to downtown. Went to MOCA, which was weird and entertaining. Then walked to this gluten free vegan place that had the most incredible food! I was seriously in awe. Then to the fashion district where I got a new blouse and shoes. Also got in exercise both Sat and Sunday! My calories were pretty good, except yesterday I went over. I started having crazy cravings for pizza and cake Which then lead me to eating too much chocolate but finally stopped because I realized eating wasn't making me feel better and nothing was going to satiate the cravings anyways. So I was proud of myself for stopping what could have been a binge and being aware of myself.

Hope everyone has a great week!
Old 02-11-2014, 08:28 AM   #81  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Well I hate to admit it, but it wouldn't be helpful if I lied, but I had to reset my phase 2 nutrition goal. I ate out on my own and I chose to eat out with the boyfriend even though I could have cooked. What's worse is that it really wasn't even worth it, I was just feel bummed out from everything and couldn't be bothered to cook! So, I'm going to reset my nutrition goal and work at it again. My exercise plan is still on the go though, just need to work out this weekend on strength and hopefully fit in a run and all will be well! Might get a little confusing passing one goal and not the other, but oh welly!

Life is getting a little chaotic now that I'm moving out of the apartment next week. I spent literally 3 hours taking down pictures/posters from the walls and removing all the blu tac marks. It was insane! Remind me not to put up so many pictures in my next place... I advertised the things I need to sell, managed to sell my bed already so huzzah! But I know things are only going to get stressful next week leading up to the move. Got a list to get through, but one step at a time.

Starting to think about life after my job ends and honestly I feel like it's the perfect opportunity to get back on track with my eating/exercising habits. I mean, I will of course still follow this challenge, but I want to be able to push myself when I don't have a job. I'm also going to be cooking for me and my friends, so I want to find healthy, tasty recipes that will impress rather than really boring, quickly made meals with no true nutrition. So that's another bonus to losing my job I guess, more ME time to get healthy!

I'm not huge on Valentine's day, but I'll be spending this weekend with my boyfriend and I'm quite looking forward to getting away from everything. A bit like Dott last week! I'll probably still think "oh, I still have to do ___" but I hope a change of environment helps. Plus there's a park I like to run in at his place so I hope to get my run in there. As for Valentine's Day, well I think we'll just go out for a meal!

----------

Dott - You're doing so awesome!! You're picking yourself up when you fall, realising not to put too much pressure on yourself and OWNING this challenge! You're our number 1 after all!! Couldn't be more proud and inspired. Haha, good job on not whining. I get so antsy when my boyfriend is looking at things I don't really care about at that moment in time, I can be really impatient! So I commend your patience. Sounds like you had a great weekend, very vegan inspired it seems! I bet it was a nice break away from the performance related stress.

Silver - I hate planks too! They're the worse, I think I always do them wrong too...hard to keep my butt in the air!

kailpea - Don't worry, I'm right there with you! I really want this challenge to be a no pressure challenge. Try and think of it as resetting your goal, not failing it. We need to work hard to make these huge lifestyle changes, it isn't always going to be an easy ride. But soon enough you'll be crushing your later goals and what seems hard now will be easy peasy. We can do it!!
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #82  
Katherine

Well. . . .I decided to make sure I didn't fail my exercise goal again this week, so I went to the gym today and knocked it out early int he week instead of waiting until the last minute. Woo! I feel so accomplished. Once I ventured into the weight area it wasn't so bad and I went at a time where it isn't very busy at my gym, around the noon lunch hour. So Level 2 Week 1 of my exercise goal is finished! Yay!

Rie Glad you're finding some silver lining after losing your job! I'm sure you'll crush this challenge this week. It's hard sticking with goals when you have had a major upset like losing a job.

I need to really make sure I am also trying to complete the pervious goals as well. Last week I kinda fell behind with my water drinking. I am trying to pick up that habit again this week. I am trying to think of an easy way to keep track of all the goals, present and past to make sure I am completing them each week. I might make up a worksheet and add it to my planner with my pyramid.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:56 PM   #83  

Rie-I'm glad your not beating yourself up too much over reseting the nutrition goals(I think that's a great way to describe it!). Life gets in the way sometimes and as long as you are aware and keep going you are making progress on these life long goals I'm so glad you've found the positive in this new path after this job! You're going to have so much fun cooking and finding new recipes and it will be great for you to be able to work on yourself. That's great you're going to be able to get away to your boyfriend's place. I hope you guys have a fun Valentines Day! Yeah when I go out I mainly go to vegan restaurants because they tend to be more gf friendly and are df of course.

kailpea-Great job! That's awesome of you to just go for it and get it out of the way. I'm having a bit of trouble keeping with my previous goals too, mainly the exercise actually. I'm getting more like 3-4 days a week when that first week I did get something in everyday :/ I think your idea of making up a worksheet to keep track of past goals is a good one.

So I had my first rehearsal with the orchestra on Monday and it went much better then expected! My teacher said it was an amazing first rehearsal and it felt so weird being the soloist and having people treat me like a professional haha Tomorrow is another rehearsal and the concert is on Monday! ahhh Almost here finally!!!! The entire piano studio is coming to watch my rehearsal tomorrow so that will be cool. I think it will be a good experience for others to see what its like to work with an orchestra. Here's a couple links from the competition of the piece I'll be playing. For competitions you play with piano accompaniment and my accompanist is my bff actually so that was cool The first one is really bad video my dad took and the 2nd is part of a professional video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c8LXeTwOqo and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taYLhXJhVrA

Have been doing well with eating today and yesterday. Staying in my plan. Did my meals for the week. Also got in a little exercise today which was good. Still doing little treats each day and that's working really well still. Scale was up to 145 but then by the time I got home was down to 144 lol Hoping to see 142 sometime this week!

Hope everyone has a great wed!
Old 02-12-2014, 05:57 AM   #84  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

kailpea - I remember you saying you felt awkward in the weight area of the gym, or am I thinking of someone different? If it was you, what is it exactly that you feel when venturing into the weight area? AWESOME job getting it out of the way early in the week, definitely a great strategy! Yeah, I think that's something everyone is having an issue with - fitting in previous goals!

Dott - The only thing I'm worried about in the near future is cooking for my friends! If I mess up something then it's ok, because it's just me, but cooking for other people is pretty intimidating! Oooh, it's coming up soon! Are you nervous at all or do you love performing? I watched your video, WOW! You're incredible! You put so much emotion into your playing, it's wonderful to watch as well as listen to. And you look stunning all dolled up and glamorous! Are you going to get a recording of Monday's performance?
Old 02-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #85  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

hi all,
I havent checked in in a bit, and haven't been able to really keep up with my goals. My brother ended up having a very rare bacteria that landed him in the ICU and multiple surgeries. My life this last week has been work and hospital. He's doing better now, but he has weeks at the hospital before they'll even consider releasing him. My schedule is going to be being there for him as much as possible. So, I am going to have to withdraw from this challenge. I will definitely sign up for the next one, but right now I can't see myself committing to the nutritional or exercise goals (ie my lunches this week were hospital food and there was no way I did any exercise unless it was pacing across the waiting room ))
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:19 AM   #86  

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

Rie - Really crappy situation about your job, and I'm sorry to hear that . Does not sound like they treated you well at all. Being sick is just as simple as that - being sick, it's beyond your control. I hope you're able to find a situation that works well for you soon.

Silverfire - I second your opinion of planks! My core strength has really gone down since having to take time off last year and holy moly - they're a doozy right now.

kisskiss- I am very sorry to hear about your brother . Will be sending good vibes your way.

So I've decided to officially "begin" this coming Monday, however I am going to try to keep up with everything the rest of the week. I am doing a 10 week "Lean Out" challenge at my gym staring February 22nd. I am VERY intimated! I belong to a (in all respects) legendary gym and the people are very dedicated and intense. However, it has made me EXTREMELY motivated. Plus I like that it is based on things other than strictly weightloss (before/after pics, measurements, attendance, class participation and online participation). I will be doing my gym schedule, C25K, and either T25 or Insanity. I WANT to do Insanity, however I am concerned that might be too much with my gym schedule. Really want to avoid injuries...
ParkTrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:49 AM   #87  

Rie- Aw thank you! I generally don't get that nervous about performing, I get more excited then anything else. I should be getting a full professional recording that I'll make sure to post I'm sure you'll do great cooking for your friends! You should check out http://detoxinista.com she has some awesome healthy recipes

kisskiss- I'm so sorry all you're going through. I really hope your brother is doing well and that things get better for you and your family!

ParkTrot-Sounds like an intense challenge at your gym! With your intense gym schedule I agree Insanity might be a bit much. Maybe talk with a trainer at your gym and see what they think? I love challenges not based on weight, I find that when I challenge myself in other areas around health and feeling good the weight comes off naturally Keep us posted!

Silverfire-How's your week been?

Happy Valentines Day! I'm headed to my mom's to hang out before work. My bf is coming from LA tonight. I made him a mini desk size zen garden for his gift. I think he'll really like it! I've been dropping hints all week to him and finally was a bit more forceful last night. I asked him to come out early, which he refused so he won't get here till 9:30 or 10 At one point I thought he had planned something romantic but he assured me it was all in my head. Idk its hard to tell with him haha

Weight wise I'm down again! Didn't make it to 142 but 143.0 is super close haha the scale even said 142.8 for a brief moment before switching to 143.0 I'm so excited seeing all these new lows with this challenge. I really think that not focusing on the weight is what causes the losses for me. When I'm focusing on being healthy the weight seems to naturally come off Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!
Old 02-14-2014, 01:27 PM   #88  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Happy V-day y'all!!

I'm struggling with planks and squats. The squats REALLY hurt my knees. I'm pretty sure I am doing them wrong though... I have managed to get up to 25 seconds of plank and have been stuck there! I really don't want to give up on this part of the challenge, but I'm have a hard time moving forward with it and its starting to get me down! I have been looking into alternative ways to do squats and how to perfect my form to hopefully relive some of this pain.

No issues on the water intake though Not making it to the gym 3 times this week, with my dad in town Wednesday, I had to move gym to yesterday and I work job #2 tonight and Saturday (I refuse to gym on Sunday ) But Job #2 is generally a h3ll of a workout so I am not tooo worried about that. I'm repeating W3 of C25K next week as I couldn't make it through the last 3 minute spurt of jogging
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:21 AM   #89  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

Hello everyone!

Wow, what a roller coaster weekend. Friday I had a wonderful Valentine's Day once I managed to get to my boyfriends. It snowed like crazy and the Tokyo train network was seriously effed over. I've heard reports that there's been a train stranded in the middle of no where for days, that the rescue train broke down on its way and that people have frozen to death =(. But of course this isn't reported on Japanese news, because that would reflect badly on Japan! *sigh* I went to my boyfriends with my co-worker who lives in the same direction, so I at least had some company for the 2 hours it took to get there. The last train was so packed...I couldn't believe the nerve of some people! Just pushing themselves on an already packed train and causing so much discomfort. But hey, that's city life I suppose.

I went to sushi with the bf and then we went back to his place and watched silly videos. It was actually a really nice Valentine's Day! I had a few drinks, so I was feeling nicely merry! Saturday well...I don't know what happened. We were having a nice day and then all of a sudden I get this mood swing. But not just any old mood swing...a pretty horrendous turn in mood. Before I knew it I was saying that I didn't know if I could be with my bf anymore. Part of it was because I was still holding on to some resentment that I felt he didn't make himself truly there for me when I was fired, but other small things like the fact he tends to get short with me if I have moments of feeling self conscious about my looks/body. It was intense. I literally had packed my bag and was going to walk out, but then I knew I could never leave him! What was I doing?! It was crazy.

Things settled down, we resolved our issues and then it was on to Sunday. Again, the day was nice, we were relaxing having a nice time. I use my iPod Touch to browse the internet and mine was charging so he let me borrow his. That's when I made THE biggest mistake of my life. I went on his facebook and I read a message thread with one of his closest friends. I honestly don't know what made me do it, a part of me was terrified that my sudden outburst the day before had affected things. But it was just...unacceptable.

What I read though...terrified me. He had said a while ago around when I was worried I was going to lose the job that he was thinking "what else is out there" for him. He said something else like "wanting what he can't have" and "being solitary"...it was kind of a blur so I don't remember exactly how it all pieced together. My heart was pounding. I had made such a huge mistake yet here I was, reading about how he was considering leaving me to see what else life had to offer.

I wanted to hide my betrayal, to just pretend like I didn't see it, but I couldn't hide how upset I was to have read that. We've known each other 12 years, we've been together coming onto 5 years, I've been his first for everything...this was my worst fear and I felt like it was coming true. So eventually after a lot of shaking, crying I confessed what I did. At first he told me to get out of his apartment. But I couldn't move, I stayed where I was. I said that I don't know why I did it, that I didn't think he was cheating on me or anything, but I was just worried about what he might have thought about me. I thought that this was the end of our relationship, he had said in conversation with friends that he would end a relationship if his privacy was being invaded. And I did that. Me. So...I was terrified.

To sum it up, he forgave me. He could see it in my face and my body language that I was devastated that I betrayed his trust, he accepted the promise I made that I would never do it ever again. He said that if I did do it again then he would leave me, because he can't be with someone he can't trust. I understood and said it wouldn't happen, that he can trust me and I have no idea what came over me.

As for the comment he made, he said that he was just talking bullcr@p out loud to his friend. That when I called him and warned him that I might lose my job, that I might have to move in with him, he panicked. He didn't know WHY he panicked and he was exploring the feeling out loud to his friend. He said that he had apologised to his friend later on (who had told him that he should be talking to ME about this stuff) and said that he was just thinking crazy things and that he didn't really mean it. He said that sometimes his mind does wander, but he loves me and he wants to spend his life with me so those thoughts don't really stick around for long. He added that if he did have those thoughts in a serious way then I would know about it, but what he says to his friends isn't necessarily going to be all serious.

It scared me...I was very upset that the thought had even been in his head...but I suppose sometimes even I, an extremely loyal and dedicated girlfriend to him, have wondered what would my life be if we weren't together. But I had never sat down and told a friend those thoughts because I knew they were fleeting, so I was terrified that he was being serious. I accepted his reasoning for saying what he said and we are trying to move on. Unfortunately at times I am with a very independent, solitary person. It makes things difficult because where I would get excited at the idea of moving in together he would feel reservation.

I get the impression he's still very much p!ssed off at me. He's not been avoiding me or giving me the cold shoulder, but I can just tell something is off. But he has a right to be annoyed, I did something terrible. I was so shocked that he forgave me if I'm honest. He said to me "I love you, even if you cheated I might have second thoughts about leaving you." When I was going to walk on on the Saturday night he was a wreck, begging me not to go and that he needs me. So if he really didn't want to lose me then he would say/do those things is the way I'm thinking.

I don't think this is something I would share with even my closest friends, because I truly am ashamed at the level of crazy I was over the weekend, but I just wanted to get it off my chest. So thanks for reading if you got this far!

So I'm back in my apartment and back to my busy life of preparing to move out. I think this morning I safely concluded that I will put my challenge on hold until the move is over, because man, I am just way too stressed to focus on my health! I know that's AWFUL, it's a lifestyle yadda yadda, but I'm getting rid of my fridge Wednesday so I can't store food and I will probably eat a ready meal because I need to pack.

I will still post in the forum and I'm about to scoot away and update the spreadsheet!

-----------

Park - If you are gyming it up and being serious then I wouldn't recommend Insanity. You will definitely injure yourself/not give your muscles the time they need to recover if you are hitting up both! But I'm so glad you've found a gym that motivates you, not demotivates! So often I hear of people joining the gym and then not going, but sounds like there are some great incentives!

Dott - Thanks for the website, I'll check it out! How was your performance?! How was your Valentine's Day, and did he like his mini zen garden? That's such a cool gift! Argh, don't you hate it when the scale teases you like that?! But you're doing awesome!!

Silver - The one thing that has been hammered into my head is that your knees cannot go over the point of your toes. If you're leaning your knees over your toes then you're going to have a bad time! you have to keep your lower legs above your ankle and really SIT into the squat. Don't just drop down, you've gotta stick your bum BACK. Like you're about to sit on a chair. My advice would be look in the mirror! Get up a picture or a video of someone doing a correct squat and match your body. It's a big laughing point that gyms are full of mirrors in the weight section, but seeing your form is important! Good luck =)
Old 02-17-2014, 09:49 AM   #90  
Katherine

Rie *hugs* Dont's worry! We have have all had moments of complete crazy a time or two. . . I know I have! =) I find that when I am overly stressed out about things that's when I am at my moodiest and craziest. I am glad things worked out between you and your BF. I had a similar situation with my husband back when we were still dating, when I accidentally stumbled across something on his phone that was less than pleasant for me to see and I just kept going further and further until I was so angry I was just ready to call it quits! My husband also gets annoyed when I am feeling insecure about my body, and I think that's a pretty typical honestly. I don't think most men have experienced that to the degree that most women have and so they don't understand it. On the flip side, I am a little bit like your BF. . .super independent and solitary. I like having my own space and privacy, and somethings that can really upset my husband because he feels like I don't want or need him around. It's of course not the case, but as much as I value my relationship with him and being with him, I also need to be alone (perhaps more than most people). Honestly, my alone time is what keeps me sane. So I can understand when all of a sudden he was thrust with the idea that you might have to move in, and having some reservations about it initially. I hope your move goes well. I'm sorry you have to put your challenge on hold. Maybe try to at least get your 8 glasses of water in during the move. Stay hydrated. Best of luck with everything! =)

---------------
Looking forward to moving on in the challenge. I actually wanted to go to the gym this weekend but I didn't because I didn't want to wear myself out and then not be able to complete my challenges for this week. I know that sounds odd, but I opted for going on two easy walks outside instead just to keep myself moving.

So this week in exercise: I am still focusing on getting one strength session from challenge 2 along with 2 cardio sessions at the gym for challenge 1.

In nutrition I am moving on to challenge 3 which is upping my Vegetarian days to 2 days instead of 1 day from the the previous challenge. Also going to try to get my 8 glasses of water in.