Old 01-03-2014, 12:20 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 194/see ticker/125

Height: 5'0

Angry Candy coated chaos

So I have been thinking a lot lately about what makes me eat what I do and where all my calories are from.

Holy crabcakes....I am such a sugar fiend. I mean I knew I liked sweet things, but I never realized I have a hard time eating things that aren't sweetened.
Last year I switched over to splenda and it helped a bit, but I have realized if I eat a candy bar (like I did today, Snickers PB omg...amazingness), I completely lose it and just want more sugar and candy. Luckily all I had was a little chocolate triangle, but still...

Are there any tricks and tips you guys have learned on beating a nasty sweet tooth?

I've tried this strange "have your cake and eat it too" plant extract that made sugar repulsive, but just getting the extract down is awful.

-Sally
SallyLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:52 AM   #2  
Being Me-Inside and Out

S/C/G: 259/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

I had the same problem was I was more your age than I do now. I found that the more I stayed away from sugar, the less I craved it. I added sweet fruit, like fresh pineapple and strawberries. I would freeze chocolate so I would eat a couple of bites since it was harder to chew. Or take a bite and throw the rest away of something. I switched to crystal lite and back then to sweet and low. But, I use splenda, trivia, or agave syrup. Gum and sugar free hard candy. Drinking more water too helped.
sheramama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:14 AM   #3  

I just abstain - I rarely eat fruit except like 1x a week and get my nutrients from veggies. After awhile, I lost most of my desire for it (took 1 month of clean-diet to get over the hump and then a year or so to really decrease cravings). In fact, now I have a candy bar in my bag that I forgot about!

I eat sweets when I have to - like in social settings around fam oh and I might nibble on cookie dough if I'm making a batch, but beyond that I look at sweets like I do a non-food item/toy - like a Lego hahah.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:21 AM   #4  

It seems like the only way to really stop it is to stop eating it for a while. Oh boy this is gonna be fun lol.

What do you suggest during that certain time o the month when chocolate is amazing?
Old 01-03-2014, 11:45 AM   #5  

I tell myself that it's more about where the chocolate comes from than the season. =)
Like its more about quality $$$$ brand chocolate rather than the same plain ol' brand when they redo things for a special holiday. M&M's pink and white taste the same as the regular colors. That and I think about the worst case scenario - if I find out I have 1 day to live and denied myself access to chocolate when I had the shot. Then I realize that chocolate would be the last thing I would thing about!

EDIT - What also helps me is telling myself that at the worst, I find out that staying away from it doesn't work for me! So you're back to square 1, not square -28938, which isn't so bad. Takes a few tries to see what works for us.

Last edited by pixelllate; 01-03-2014 at 11:51 AM.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:48 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

I find that the more I eat sugar the more I want sugar and the less I eat it the less I want it. For me going off added sugar for awhile took away the sugar cravings. Now, unbelievably, I can have one square of a chocolate bar and be satisfied. Also, I don't waste my sugar allotment on crappy chocolate - a small amount of the very good, very dark stuff is perfect.
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 255/210/155

I have the exact same problem! I've noticed that I'm a complete sugar addict and it was basically ruining my life for a while - the mood swings and other side effects of eating too much sugar were harsh.

Like everyone has mentioned, the only way to want less is to eat less. I've been reading a couple books about getting off sugar and they recommend getting in a routine of eating that stabilizes your blood sugar and then do a sugar detox. You can also go cold turkey but if you eat a lot of sugar like I was doing you'll get withdrawal symptoms like headaches.

I'm planning to do a sugar detox soon, even though I've already started eating less of it. I just want to go completely sugar free, I think it's the only way I can do it.
amerrylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

I'm firmly convinced sugar is addictive! As others have stated, the more you eat it the more you want it. Not everyone is on board with artificial sweeteners but what I like to do is eat things like plain greek yogurt sweetened with a packet of splenda. Sometimes I'll sprinkle on a little flaxseed meal with a touch of Cinnamon. It's so filling and gives me a sweet fix without the sugar.

I've noticed the longer I got without sugar the less I want it. It's a grueling process but there is a light at the end of the tunnel when you know once you get through those bumpy first few days that it gets a little easier.

I also limit my carbs which cause sugar cravings for me too. I'm so close to fitting the next size down in my blue jeans I keep asking myself "Is it worth a cookie, cake, pie when it means even longer till I get into them???!!!"

Good luck!
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #9  

Thank you everyone for all your support and ideas. I went to a weightloss clinic at a nearby hospital and he told me that I pretty much need a sugar detox and if i need sweet it should be from sugar. Also no carbs at night and I was given some 5-htp to replace the sugar need that may come from my low serotonin.

I will let you guys know how it goes
Old 01-15-2014, 12:37 AM   #10  

Yeah, sugar is highly addictive, and the refined stuff can be pretty destructive. Like others have already said, the easiest way to fix this is to just get away from it entirely; no sweets, no bread or starchy stuff, no fruit for AT LEAST 3 weeks. When I did this, broccoli became the sweetest stuff I could manage (and yes, broccoli is sweet! ).

The worst withdrawal symptoms will be done by day 4-5, but you will still have the occasional headache or grumpy moment for upwards of another 14-18 days. Give yourself the space and understanding during this time, 'cause it's sometimes pretty ugly.

If you're looking to control the cravings, I find that fat and salt do wonders; chicken broth is a savior. It might just be a matter of giving your brain other 'rewards' to reprogram away from sugar, or the happy hormones might offer enough of a rush to help. At any rate, it's my personal go-to.

Throw out the substitutes (except maybe pure stevia, if you have it and can stand the taste). They just make things harder, and screw around with other bits of your metabolism. Luck! (and report back, to help motivate the rest of us 'sugar junkies' )
Defining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:05 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 64/63/54

Totally agree that the less you eat the less you crave! I was addicted to liquorice, lollies (I think you call them sweets or candy or something) etc more than chocolate, but it was an addiction. I had so many health problems that I finally linked to my high sugar diet (eg urinary track infections) so cut it out. Now I really do not crave sweet things. I honestly would rather have a beautiful salad than a chocolate bar. It is so hard at first because it is an addiction, and it will be madness, but a strongly advise that you just stop eating it, and get your sugar from fruit only. Hope that helps!
shaping nz is offline   Reply With Quote