3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   Is your weight due to binging? - let's be support to each other! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/290067-your-weight-due-binging-lets-support-each-other.html)

busybeejelena 11-25-2013 08:44 PM

Is your weight due to binging? - let's be support to each other!

Hi guys!

I introduced myself in the other section, but wanted to make a topic for everyone who is on a weight loss plan but struggling due to binging, or gained weight because of binging.

I am 28 and I have been a binge eater for over 14 years. I am about 70lbs overweight (35kg), luckily I am tall so I can still carry it well.

Finally sorted my issues through a book (which I mentioned before, don't want it to seem like a plug) but now I am ready to tackle weight loss once and for all.
Want to connect to anybody and everybody who dealt with similar issues and is working towards fixing it.

As you may already know, binge eating is caused because of dieting therefor any type of weightloss that is restrictive just triggers super strong hunger and debilitates you from making any progress. Luckily I sorted that out but now I still have to be strong and make sure I don't fall back into the urges, not being able to separate myself enough and so.

Anyways, if you want to be my buddy, just let me know. I still have no options of sending a PM since I am a new member, but feel free to drop a line :D

souvenirdarling 11-25-2013 10:27 PM

I've gotten better at not bingeing - I haven't really gone for it in a very long while. I'm managing my weight much better and find that when I'm managing my stress well, the weight gradually comes off on its own with some mindful - not excessive - fitness and good food choices. Slowly but surely.

busybeejelena 11-26-2013 05:47 AM

Stress can be a huge factor on gain weight for people who like to eat, but what I found is that what made me fat and unhappy and stressed was the binging, not any other internal issue, emotional or whatever. Just due to the circle I couldn't break out off. I finally managed to get out of it so I really feel once this is sorted out, weight will start coming off :D

nolightz 11-26-2013 04:28 PM

I just realized that I binge eat. And I also had a big revelation that I overeat like crazy. I also came to this conclusion after reading a book called 'Diets don't work'. Not plugging, but it really shed some light on a few things for me.

You would think it would be something obvious, but I never thought that I was THAT person. I thought I just wasn't eating the right things. Now I'm at the point where I'm looking at all of the pieces of my habits on the floor, and trying to figure out how I move forward from it. I'm only 23, but I've been doing this for a very, very long time. Es no beuno :(

SMSDREAMER2007 11-27-2013 06:40 PM

Binge eating Isn't just about Restrictive diet..It can and is for many also about emotional issues. But yes; I to am a or was a binge eater. Go me ! (sarcasm)

I am working on overcoming it too and I *seem* to be getting better at it so far as I tackle my issues with a counselor but no, I'm not 100% cured. I do find now though that I am more able to deal with my emotions without food; it's only when I have something badly starchy that I get that munchy binge feeling. Good luck everyone!

Dollfaise 11-29-2013 09:07 AM

I agree with SMSDREAMER, binge eating is also emotional. I've had problems with binge eating for quite a while myself.

When I was in college, I'd randomly walk to the vending machine and take out a snack, even when I wasn't hungry. Not until I'd almost finished eating did I realize I didn't need the food.

I've binged recently, too. My new weight loss journey began on 11/23 and I've lost about 3 pounds since then. But the beginning part of my graph spikes up before it goes down. I gained before I lost because I kept binging. I made myself face it on the bathroom scale anyways.

A few days ago, I was telling my boyfriend about this, why I struggle - it's my emotions, not an actual inability to lose weight - and as I was talking, he went to the bathroom. I stood outside continuing to talk when I paused and said, "...I just bit a cookie." "You aren't supposed to have more cookies." "I know...I'll leave this hear for you." Without thinking, I literally grabbed a cookie off the stove top and bit into it. I didn't even have a craving, I was just nervous. /sigh

I would say at least half of my weight gain has been because of binging.

busybeejelena 11-29-2013 07:51 PM

For me, the moment I stopped attaching that my binging is due to emotions but strictly a habit, I stopped binging. I also stopped smoking. While I always tried to think about emotions and what was wrong that is when I overate. Go figure. I still think it is just a habit coz skinny people are emotional too and messed up and still dont over-eat because bunch of them never went on a diet.

polymertastic 12-07-2013 09:25 AM

I'm an emotional and stress eater, and when I eat, I clean out everything in the fridge and pantries. My eating habits were somewhat in control a few years back, but lately all I seem to do is shovel food in my mouth. I've gained over 30 lb this past year alone because of it, and I don't really know how to keep myself in check. Before it was the stress of not knowing what to do after graduation, and now it is because of work, and the other part seems to be a mental barrier. I keep making excuses and come up with obstacles for why I'm doing what I do. I try every day to start fresh, but before noon happens I usually just throw everything to the winds.

coolacrity 12-19-2013 02:02 PM

I believe my rapid regain has been due to binge eating, yeah. But it wasn't a huge hunger that's been triggered. I was eating when I wasn't hungry, due to boredom most likely. Just as terrible, though.

I've been so stressed out this school year, so...I imagine that was a factor, too.

GlamourGirl827 12-19-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busybeejelena (Post 4891946)
For me, the moment I stopped attaching that my binging is due to emotions but strictly a habit, I stopped binging. I also stopped smoking. While I always tried to think about emotions and what was wrong that is when I overate. Go figure. I still think it is just a habit coz skinny people are emotional too and messed up and still dont over-eat because bunch of them never went on a diet.

I'm going to put this bluntly. You are wrong. Its not just a habit. Your idea that skinny people are emtional too doesn't prove your opinion. It is absolutely emotional for some people, they may use food to better deal with emotions. Food is not the only thing people use to deal with emotions. Some people drink alcohol, so smoke, some use drugs, some exercise, and I'm sure there are many ways people have learned to cope with emotions. Even the emtions that are being dealt with vary from person to person. For some they eat to deal with feelings of sadness, for some it might be anxiety...everyone is different. The skinny person you see might not use food, they might use something else....and of course there are those people that have heathy ways to deal with unwanted emotions.

sweetpeony 01-23-2014 10:55 AM

I am definitely a binge eater and an emotional eater. My goal aside from losing weight this year is to develop a healthy relationship with food. I have been on the opposite end of the spectrum and suffered from mild anorexia and moderate bulimia. While i was at a healthy weight during that time i was anything but healthy on the inside. I was diagnosed with depression and was treated with medications that caused severe weight gain, which swung me to the other side of the scale and am now at the other extreme end and am technically morbidly obese.

yohasoy 04-03-2014 12:48 PM

I binge eat. And I used to throw it up when I feel very guilty about it.
I eat when I'm stressed out and that what makes me gain 10kg (22lbs) during college. And sometimes I just eat because I'm bored.
So, I just find an activity to get me busy, because when I'm busy and very focused on it I, somehow, forgot that I'm hungry lol

MrsDeenz 04-03-2014 07:48 PM

I'm a binge eater. I've been doing it all day. First day of TOM for me plus I got some bad news so I've just been down in the dumps all day and decided I'd go for whatever I felt like eating. I'm giving in to my pity party of one for today and today only and I'm jumping right back onto the wagon tomorrow. Because everything will be better in the morning. *sigh*

livinmovinhealthy 04-05-2014 12:12 AM

Binged Today

Today was my third day of choosing to lose weight. I got discouraged I guess and binged. What I gathered from it is I need to learn from these bumps or slip ups. Tomorrow is another day and while I may have cravings I can start fresh. :)

ArtThistle 04-06-2014 06:02 PM

I've gained 5 pounds in about 3 days from binge eating. I'm a first year English major and finals start on the 10th. I'm very upset with myself. Yesterday I ate 2 of those "family size" bags of salt and vinegar potato chips.
Usually I'm really good and manage to stay on track. But I'm a stress-eater. When I'm upset I eat my feelings and exams have got me all messed up.

livinmovinhealthy 04-19-2014 04:44 PM

finding healthy substitutes

One strategy I use is to find healthy substitutes for the foods I tend to binge on. For example, I really enjoy potato chips. I found a brand out of San Francisco called "Pop Chips" that are healthy and can be worked into a daily allowance. Having these options available in the house helps prevent the urge to binge.

maddierep 04-20-2014 12:37 PM

the funny thing is, i never thought i was emotional or stressed. so i remained in denial about binging. i'd lose 2 pounds over a month and gain 5 in a weekend.

it was always about "rewarding myself". which is stupid now that i think about it. 3FC has been really helpful in helping me figure out how to manage this. it's work in progress.

SugarRomeoTango4852 04-23-2014 12:51 PM

Hello Everyone! I have a few questions below about binge eating and I am looking for clarification and how other people view binge eating.

I am torn because I have trouble with the idea of "binge eating". I am never quite sure what qualifies as a binge.

Does eating a bag of chips to satisfy a craving qualify as a binge, even if i have eaten nothing else that day? Or is a binge eating until I am uncomfortable and feel sick? I am an emotional eater with boredom as my trigger - would that qualify me as a binge eater?

Isn't everyone, at some point, usually a binge eater? Does over eating on a regular basis make you a binge eater or just an overeater? I will admit the word "binge" makes me uncomfortable because I hate the idea that I am unable to control myself around food. I am much more comfortable with the idea of being an emotional eater as opposed to a binge eater.

riotgirl 04-25-2014 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarRomeoTango4852 (Post 4990146)
Hello Everyone! I have a few questions below about binge eating and I am looking for clarification and how other people view binge eating.

I am torn because I have trouble with the idea of "binge eating". I am never quite sure what qualifies as a binge.

Does eating a bag of chips to satisfy a craving qualify as a binge, even if i have eaten nothing else that day? Or is a binge eating until I am uncomfortable and feel sick? I am an emotional eater with boredom as my trigger - would that qualify me as a binge eater?

Isn't everyone, at some point, usually a binge eater? Does over eating on a regular basis make you a binge eater or just an overeater? I will admit the word "binge" makes me uncomfortable because I hate the idea that I am unable to control myself around food. I am much more comfortable with the idea of being an emotional eater as opposed to a binge eater.

I can only speak from my own experience, but for me there is no satisfaction in binging. I have more of a "fvck it" attitude when I binge, and by the end of it I am uncomfortably full, and feel sick for the remainder of the day (or night.) Binging does not make me happy, it is just something that I do.

I personally don't believe that everyone is a binge eater at some point. In my opinion, there's a difference between "satisfying a craving" and "binging." Once you've satisfied a craving, you're content. When you binge, you are not content.

Hopefully some of this makes sense!