Old 09-29-2013, 12:54 AM   #1  
You're gonna hear me ROAR

S/C/G: 165/165/125

Height: 5"4

Question First Time Gym Member

I had my APE last week and my awesome doctor said I am 30 lbs overweight. Saw some groupon deal for 10 boxing class and bought it. I am scared and excited as this is my first time to join a gym and a boxing class. I tried running before to lose weight but I don't feel motivated enough.

Any boxing members here? Any tips for a newbie like me? Should I buy gloves at this point now or wait until I finished my beginner classes?

In case you would like to know what gym, it is the Polk St Gym in San Francisco CA. *if you're a member i would love to hear your experience to this gym too!
reinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:02 AM   #2  
Aussie :)

S/C/G: 101.4kg/98.3kg/70kg

Height: 5'11

I don't have any experience with that gym because I am from Australia but in terms of boxing it might help to buy a pair now that you could even use in the classes? They may provide them there but sometimes people like to use their own
mzshaunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:11 AM   #3  

Thanks mzshaunna! I will start looking around now for those gloves. I hope i will not back out from this class heheh
Old 09-29-2013, 02:22 AM   #4  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Gloves are pretty expensive I think... I wouldn't rush out to buy a pair until you know for sure it's something you're going to take seriously for a long period of time. I'm pretty sure they will have gloves for you to use there!
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #5  

Thank you Riestrella. i'll check out the gym next week and see how it goes
Old 10-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 218/195.8/170ish

Height: 5'9

Please let us know how it goes. I've been wanting to try boxing but i am kind of scared to go for the first time by myself.
whitb05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #7  
1500 Max!

S/C/G: 172/ticker/119

Height: 5'6"

Just remember that calorie intake matters much more than exercise in terms of losing weight. Exercise just tones you up. I made the mistake of thinking exercise could compensate for high calorie intake and now I haven't lost any weight since January (although I haven't put any on either).
LucyOlivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 212/195/120

Height: 5'4"

I've only just started my weight loss process a few weeks ago. I actually bought the same groupon deal though! I'm going to be starting this upcoming week. I think it'll be a great workout and I'm excited I have no idea if I should buy my own gloves but I probably will after the first class. FYI - I read yelp reviews for the place and people said to wear latex gloves if you're renting gloves because otherwise your hands will likely smell disgusting. I'm going to bring my own latex gloves, haha. Hope the classes go well for you!
whatthefudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:41 AM   #9  
trying to impress myself

S/C/G: 296/see ticker!/140

Height: 5'4"

i've taken a boxing class before, and they had gloves for folks. you could always call the gym and find out
btw- i did really enjoy the few boxes classes that i took. they kicked my butt!
fillupthesky is offline   Reply With Quote