3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   Stretch Marks? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/288012-stretch-marks.html)

Davikatl16 09-27-2013 12:08 PM

Stretch Marks?

So I have been heavy for what seems like forever, and I really don't remember a time when my stretch marks were highly visible (like the angry red/purple that is common). Like I have vague memories from when my boobs came in, but nothing spectacular you know?

Well now that I have been around a steady weight for a while (fluctuations in the mid to low 180s) I have started noticing that my skin is shrinking back, which is good. However I have also noticed my stretch marks are becoming more noticeable in the process.

They aren't changing color or anything like that. I am just naturally pale and since my skin has been tightening up I have started to notice that certain areas look darker and stripey. All of my stretch marks are slightly lighter than the rest of my skin, so that's why things are looking dark.

I'm not sure how to feel about this new thing my body is doing. Have any of you experienced something similar?

amandie 09-27-2013 12:14 PM

OT- OMG, I freaking love the dress in your avi!!

As for your original post- I had that when I was losing from 226 to 180 and it eventually became lighter. I guess something about losing weight and the body changing shape so the stretch marks are realigning?? I dunno. There are two stretch marks that I think will be permanently dark, both of them are on my thighs. It sucks but me and the BF will only see it so not too worried.

Perhaps some sort of cream for stretch marks would work? I can't recommend a brand since I've never used any.

Congrats on your progress, BTW!!!!

Davikatl16 09-27-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amandie (Post 4849981)
OT- OMG, I freaking love the dress in your avi!!

Thanks amandie! I bought it at this one store by my school called Rainbow. It is a little too short for my liking, but I just wear leggings or tights under it to feel a bit better until I can figure out how to sew some length onto it. I am more of a dress girl than a pants girl (which is something I have been finding out for myself) and it is super weird to notice haha.

I think I might up my ante and start putting on lotion, but we shall see how (or if) that affects the appearance of them. It's been a long hall, but I am happy with the progress I have made. :)

Riestrella 09-28-2013 09:43 AM

Ah stretch marks...they are the source of many frustration for some and in some cases - shame! I say, you're a tiger and you've earned your god.damn stripes! I hear cocoa butter helps, but unfortunately stretch marks are just a way of life. Even my boyfriend has them and he's always been skinny, but when there are periods where we get bigger or slim down it's inevitable. It's annoying, I wish I didn't have them, but I know they are common so I try not to dwell on them.

kisskiss 09-30-2013 10:48 AM

I've tried cocoa butter and it hasn't helped at all. I got my stretchmarks in my teens when I gained weight, and they became lighter with time. I've heard str-vectin helps but it's kind of expensive. I recently went to my doctor for something unrelated and she commented that had I gotten laser on them when they were red and dark they might've gone away.

I feel they're more noticeable now that I've lost the weight, but I think that's my imagination. I have them all over my tummy, which sucks because my stomach is actually fairly flat. it's okay though, Riestrella is right, try not to dwell on them. you've made amazing progress!

dehtripper 10-01-2013 10:57 AM

I've got a lovely suite of stretch marks all over. Most are pretty fine and well faded but I have some behemoths on my tummy that I know will never look like normal skin. Yes, they seem to be more noticeable as I lose weight (notsomuch in colour but obvious scar texture) but Id rather some saggy stretch marks over flab I guess.

I know a family member who's worked miracles on their own belly with a combo of BioOil and self tanning. But I just use cocoa butter/normal lotion when I think of it and have just decided to cover it all up with lovely tattoos somewhere down the road.

toastedsmoke 10-02-2013 04:46 AM

The stretch marks weren't too bad when I was heavy. I was heavy from childhood so my skin didn't stretch too bad. When I was about 17, I was diagnosed with PCOS which eventually turned out to be a (thankfully benign) large ovarian tumor which made me pack on a lot of girth around my middle, thus leading to stretch mark city. I lost 120 lbs over a 2.5-3-year period so I won't say it was at all a crash program and let me tell you my body bears the scars. The stretch marks I have now are wayyyy worse than what I started off with but it's still been worth it.

First of all, the stretch marked stomach which combines being stretch-marky and being wrinkly and saggy-skinned (mind you I'm in my 20s, never been pregnant so...), then there are the stretchmarky boobs which are also wrinkly and empty, then the stretchmarky hips and the slightly wrinkly skinned inner thighs.

Why do I tell you this? First of all, you're not alone. Most people who have lost any considerable amount of weight are going to be stretchmarky. Secondly, it does get a bit better. Some marks have faded quite a bit, but I think the truth is that it's one of those things you're going to have to find acceptance for. They're never really going to disappear or become invisible. I don't believe any of the "miracle" treatments. I've used bio oil and vitamin e oil for years, I've known people who've used other remedies (including laser) and yes because you're paying so much, you can choose to see a difference, but it's not so much that it's worth it. Your skin in the area might improve but I don't know that it will fade the stretchmarks. So the ultimate thing will be to find acceptance... which is something I still struggle with, some days are better than others.