Old 08-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/135/120

Height: 5'3''

Default Getting Cocky?

I just got off track on my diet because I think I got cocky. I learned that I could cheat on weekends and then diet during the week to get back to what I was the Friday before the weekend. Then I started gaining more on the weekend and that "weekend" crept into Monday, then Tuesday, and here I am on Wednesday trying to get back on track with those 6 pounds that I gained.

Point is, do any of you ever get cocky with dieting and think you can cheat more than you should and then wind up heavier again? Does anyone have any tips on how to stay on track but still include a cheat every once in a while?

Last edited by Cgrace; 08-29-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Cgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 210/129/127

Height: 5'2

This SAME EXACT THING happened to me. I don't think it was a matter of being cocky, I guess I was just testing the limits on how much I could eat without gaining. I went from eating only 1 bad meal a week for over a year, and within the last 3 weeks I've ate 3-4 bad meals a week that were carb/bread heavy. In result I also gained 6 lbs.

I think it's a matter of trial and error and finding out how much you are able to 'cheat' without going overboard or gaining weight. It sounds like you already know your limit. I'm realizing I can have 2 cheats/week and still maintain my weight. Just know your limits and plan each bad meal ahead of time. Mine is usually Friday night/Saturday night. Hope this helps/makes sense.
MandaLynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #3  
Suicide Wing Winner

S/C/G: 135/98/105

Height: 5'5"

I do the same thing! When I first started losing weight I had maybe 1-2 cheat meals a week. Now, I cheat throughout the whole weekend. Come Monday I feel VERY bloated…it sucks. By Friday I’m back down again, so I guess I’m maintaining… but that’s not what I want to do!

My plan for this weekend is to only eat out once. My bf loves to go out to eat and it’s hard to say no when he’s paying . Like Manda said, have a plan and stick to it, something I find VERY hard to do.
Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #4  
(they're flowers)

S/C/G: 174/*ticker*/125

Height: 5'4''

Story of my life! Practically all this year, I would just...kind of watch what I eat, but then the pounds started slowly creeping up. First it was a couple pounds and then I told myself, "As long as I'm not 160, I'm doing okay."

I finally hit 160 pretty steadily all week and then I realized I needed to get back on track since prior to that, I was probably in the 157-159 range. Regardless, being there all year was still a wake up call that I'm still unhappy at where I am!
Atarimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:27 PM   #5  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

I recently made a thread that was "what type of weight loss person are you?" and you fit into the category of "The Treater". You do awesome then treat yourself for a job well done. If you manage to find the thread, you'll see that the majority of the votes went to The Treater, myself included - you are not alone! The key is to not treat yourself, it's just as simple as that. Our personalities are flawed in that we will continue to treat ourselves until the good work has been undone. Weight loss is a lifestyle change, you just have to get out of the mentality of "cheat days" unfortunately. Of course it's ok to treat yourself every once in a while, but every weekend is probably a no-no. Or if you have to have a cheat day make it a cheat meal - eat good 2 out of the 3 meals one day a week.
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I've done this many times, and I've let it be my undoing a few times. Weighing daily helps some. I can catch it earlier when the tide starts to turn! But the main thing is just keeping yourself in check. If you want to splurge, decide in advance how long/what days you may do so. Then it's time to get back on track, period, no pro-longing the bad eating "because I haven't gained weight yet"... keep it up and you will!

Last edited by Aclai4067; 08-29-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #7  
Chubby Chick

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5,4

It always happens to me. Back in July I started paleo diet. I was good for the first 10 days. Then I was like I've been a good girl let me have some Reeses cups no biggie. Then the next day the same things happen. Before I knew I was off of the wagon again.

I find the best thing to do now is to not cheat at all. Over the years I've notice cheating or treating myself is what always throws me off of the wagon.

Some people can cheat and get back in the plan no problems. While others ( like me) cannot.

Last edited by helwa588; 08-30-2013 at 12:06 PM.
helwa588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #8  

I'm so glad that I'm not alone! It's such a slipery slope ugh!!!

Ristrella- You are so right! That's exactly what I'm doing. I think the not treating myself is smart until I actually get to where I want to be and stay there then I need to incorporate the one meal thing. Thank you!!

MandaLynch- That's for your thoughts, hopefully I can get on track and find a happy in between.

Last edited by Cgrace; 08-30-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #9  
It's me, Ashleyyy!

S/C/G: 291/~/185

Height: 5'8"

Well consider me off the wagon. It's SO much hard to climb back on. Coming here makes all the difference tho. I have 3fc bookmarked in a folder on my browser... It's time that bookmark comes out of hiding. Front and center.

I blame summer.
smashlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #10  

Smashlers- what matters is that you're not giving up and you're dedicated to getting back on track!
Old 09-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #11  
It's me, Ashleyyy!

S/C/G: 291/~/185

Height: 5'8"

Yes. I think that is the key. So many other times before I was all rip roaring through the first couple weeks or months to just sort of fade back into old habits. NO. No getting "cocky" like the OP said. No using social situations as a reason to cheat.

I guess here I am, back at day one.
smashlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #12  
Finally in control.

S/C/G: 294/236/199

Height: 5'4"

This is what happened to me this summer. I managed to lose 115 pounds and started feel great and then went on vacation, started drinking again and lost my mind. At first I was maintaining my weight and then little by little, the number started to creep up. I read somewhere that people who are successful at maintaining their weight don't let their weight go up more than 5 lbs. So I make sure to weigh myself at least once a week and once I realize that I'm off track I change right away. I don't wait for Monday or tomorrow, I just get right back on track. I'm trying not to beat up on myself and worry about all the progress I could have made had I stayed on track and be grateful that I'm back on track now.
ChickieBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #13  

ChickieBoom- I love that idea of the 5lbs. I think that definitely will keep me in check when I'm trying to maintain and never let it get too far.