3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   New Semester (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/286756-new-semester.html)

versace 08-26-2013 05:46 PM

New Semester

So classes just started up for me today, and wow I completely lost track of time working on assignments. This has both good and bad connotations for me. On one side, I'm keeping busy and not thinking about overeating at all. But then on the other side, I'm keeping so busy that I'm nearly forgetting to eat altogether, which is really bad for me.

Fingers crossed that setting an alarm after I eat while studying will help me avoid that in the future, and that overall this is going to help me stay on track.

Is there anyone else here starting school this semester? Does it usually help you be on plan, or do you tend to fall off during this time?

kathy84 08-26-2013 05:59 PM

Hey :)

I started classes today as well. To be honest I've never really successfully dieted EVER. So the stress of the semester starting and trying to stay focused on counting calories is going to be really rough on me. Good luck to you.

MintyBadger 08-26-2013 06:46 PM

Hey there :)

Hey, I start classes next month but it's my third year. I'm just starting my diet and to try to get around the classes I'm going to carry healthy snacks around in my bag. On the days when I have classes over lunch I'm hoping to plan ahead and take a packed lunch so I'm not tempted to grab something. Hope you find something that works for you :).

Monkeysmom 08-26-2013 06:53 PM

I start graduate school in 2 weeks. I'm pretty nervous (what if I stink at it??) but I usually tend to lose weight during the quarter because I put off eating until I am done with my assignments for the day (and they never seem to end). On the flip side, I sometimes will snack mindlessly while I'm trying to do my work so we will see. I have to be on plan or else it all falls apart and I tend to go out to eat a lot during this time. Keep us updated and good idea about the alarm:)

versace 08-26-2013 07:35 PM

kathy84: Ouch, starting both of those at the same time doesn't sound appealing at all. If you ever want to chat about any of it, or just have someone to keep accountable with, I'm always available :)

MintyBadger: Ohh nice, that's a really good idea to always go prepared like that. Do you know if your school has any decent food options incase you happen to forget one day?

Monkeysmom: Shhh, you've made it this far, you're going to be amazing.
But oh god, the mindless snacking. I had to put a blanket ban on eating while doing anything else, because otherwise that is my downfall, for real. Would the occasional, possibly planned, snack break work for you instead of either extremes of the mindless snackage & not eating until you're done?

goldengirlamy 08-26-2013 09:44 PM

What I do for study days...I pack a lunch, head to the library and lock myself in. I get my studying done, and when I'm hungry I have my healthy snacks waiting for me. I don't let myself break to go out to lunch or get a cookie. I just focus on school. I have study snacks which are quiet snacks that are healthy, like almonds, grapes, yogurt, etc.

Also like Monkeysmom's problem. I only bring so many snacks for how long I plan to be there. It sounds silly but that way I can't overeat because I know how long I need to be there, so my snacks ration my time lol. I can't study at home with a fridge or cabinet full of snacks. Going to the library makes a difference because there are no distractions and I can only eat what I've brought. If I overeat I will be hungry in a couple of hours and then my studying will go to heck, so by rationing my snacks I learn to focus on both.

Melonlefey 08-27-2013 06:56 PM

Well, it depends. On the one hand, I rarely overeat because I'm very busy, but on the other hand... I stress bake! So as long as I'm not EATING what I'm baking, its usually okay. I feel like if nothing else I'm more active during the semester.

GordonGirl16 09-01-2013 01:44 PM

I just started classes this week too, and this will be my second year. I don't snack that often because I'm usually pretty busy, but when I do snack I eat until I feel gross :^: I try to keep only healthy snacks in my dorm room (I do have a little bad food, but the majority is healthy. What I really struggle with is stress eating around midterms and finals. I eat bigger, unhealthy meals, which ultimately led me to gain 10 pounds my freshman year. This year I'm really trying to make good choices in the cafeteria (I have to use the meal plan) at meal times, and trying to limit my snacking at night.

Ms A 09-01-2013 06:22 PM

I start class on Thursday. I tend to starve during classes then binge, mainly cause I never eat breakfast. I am trying to avoid that by, number one, eating breakfast, and also by bringing more healthy snacks/meals this year. Also, my school is filled with unhealthy food joints (Burger King, Sbarro) so I hope the snacks will help :)