Old 07-20-2013, 12:51 AM   #1  
Ashley

S/C/G: 175/ticker/140

Height: 5'7

Question What keeps you motivated?

I just want to know what keeps you motivated with your diet and workouts? I've fallen off the wagon n I really need to get back on it.
jmfan317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:59 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/197/140

Height: 5'3''

Knowing where I was at my biggest, my smallest, and where I am now.

Also, just making it a competition with myself. I get really obsessive when I let myself. And the phrase "No one has ever regretted a workout" and knowing that if I don't do it now, I'll wish I had in a year.

Plus I have things I plan on doing in a year. Big things. I want to change my life and I want to be healthy for it.

It's a lot of wanting. I see by your signature that you've lost a lot of weight so far! What motivated you to do that? And why is that failing you now?
Jesserz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #3  
Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesserz View Post
Knowing where I was at my biggest, my smallest, and where I am now.

Also, just making it a competition with myself. I get really obsessive when I let myself. And the phrase "No one has ever regretted a workout" and knowing that if I don't do it now, I'll wish I had in a year.

Plus I have things I plan on doing in a year. Big things. I want to change my life and I want to be healthy for it.

It's a lot of wanting. I see by your signature that you've lost a lot of weight so far! What motivated you to do that? And why is that failing you now?
The diet part I get tired of dieting and working at a restaurant with not many healthy choices is difficult. I could workout all day but they say it's 80% diet and 20% exercise. I want to feel more confident in myself and I like the compliments my friends give me plus I want to fit into smaller clothes.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #4  

Progress!

Sorry, I know that doesn't help you much, but it is the single most motivating thing after I've started a diet.

I find that the three first days of a diet are the hardest. If it's similar for you, maybe you can make a diet goal of three or four days to get through that first rough patch.
lbsgobyebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #5  
Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbsgobyebye View Post
Progress!

Sorry, I know that doesn't help you much, but it is the single most motivating thing after I've started a diet.

I find that the three first days of a diet are the hardest. If it's similar for you, maybe you can make a diet goal of three or four days to get through that first rough patch.
That sounds like a good idea. I need to get some groceries this upcoming week cuz there isn't anything healthy in this house. All processed food minus a few things.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/226.4/150

Height: 5'3.75"

One of the biggest things that keeps me motivated is kind of weird to admit. But here it is...looking at myself naked.

I find that by spending time really observing how my body looks I notice small differences sooner than if I mainly focused on the scale. I know I eat terribly, so to make up for it I make sure to be active. My primary mode of transportation is my own two feet, so adding a workout on top of that is working wonders.

Another motivation are my loved ones. Just last week I was feeling like I was getting no where and was all set to binge on sugary foods that I know are literally killing me (I have type 2 diabetes) and my boyfriend made the point to ask me how the gym has been going since he noticed that I have lost weight.

Honestly it got me a bit miffed (I am still sensitive about my weight I guess), but I also felt proud that he had noticed. Luckily we are both trying to lose weight and get fit, but my first thought was "Remember you are doing this for yourself, no one else."

Another trick I have is the book "Cook This, Not That". It is fantastic, the recipes are easy and delicious, and I highly suggest you read/buy it. It has helped me change my cooking (I love to cook) to not only benefit my budget but also my waistline.
Davikatl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:20 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 200+/160.8/135

Height: 5'5.5

Tumblr! The fitblr community on there is awesome. This site of course, especially some of the challenges. Really appreciating how my body feels so much better when I'm living healthier. Also looking at where I used to be. I find before and after pics really inspiring too.
Dottington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:03 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 346/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2

Definitely the way I feel. I am depressed, all the time. I know that I feel better and more positive when I am being healthy and exercising regularly. My outlook on life is much more optimistic when I am doing something that will benefit in the future, like losing weight and working towards my degree. I keep that in mind when I don't feel like exercising or start to eat a lot of crap food.
alyssarof2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:12 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 214/197/140

Height: 5'3''

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfan317 View Post
The diet part I get tired of dieting and working at a restaurant with not many healthy choices is difficult. I could workout all day but they say it's 80% diet and 20% exercise. I want to feel more confident in myself and I like the compliments my friends give me plus I want to fit into smaller clothes.
Well try not to think of it as a diet. That whole word has a stigma that really sucks. Think of it as a change of lifestyle. You don't have to restrict yourself to eating carrots and kale all day every day just take everything you usually do and cut it down by .3. Then do it again. Have half a restaurant meal for lunch and save the rest for dinner. You still get it that way.

And don't forget those things that you want! You can do it if you really want it. Just keep telling yourself "I want to be more confident. Do I feel confident right now? Will this meal make me feel better or not?" Be conscious of your choices and don't make it in to a race or you might get overwhelmed.

You CAN do it!!!
Jesserz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 168/168/135ish

Height: 5'4"

the health and fitness page on pinterest! seriously i check it out every morning while drinking my coffee before my workout! those motivational quote are awesome!
jackiedavis87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #11  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

What keeps me working out and dieting is seeing results
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 146/143.3/125

Height: 5'6"

I've been falling off the wagon lately too. I definitely need an injection of motivation....

Seeing results motivates me. Noticing myself getting stronger with weight training, or noticing that my pants are a little looser, things like that.

Wanting to actually show myself that I can accomplish something, motivates me too. I've never been the type of person to stick to something long-term and succeed at it. I want to show myself that I can do it.

Not wanting to start over again. I like the saying "If you're sick of starting over, stop quitting". Cuz I'm sure sick of starting over!

Knowing that I wouldn't be happy with myself if I stopped..that kicks me back into gear.
fitstrongchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:07 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 276/182/160

Height: 5'8

When I need motivation? I check out pintrest. All the fitness posts make me think " I can do that." Also online shopping.

Otherwise I think about how far I've come. Sometimes it's just a perspective change. Do I really want to change these new healthy behaviors and go back to the way I used to live? No, I don't.
StrangeJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:36 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 300/see ticker/165

Height: 5ft 8in

I've set myself a variety of goals, which I will hopefully hit at various points, including certain weights, BMIs to celebrate, and also clothes I want to fit into or buy. Having a few things on-going really helps when my weight fluctuates. I find weighing twice daily and taking an average works for me, even though it can sound obsessive. I put the data on a graph and just love seeing it drop downwards.
CrazyCatWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 212.6/Ticker/137

Height: 5'5"

I find now that I've lost a significant amount and people have started to mention it, that purely external progress-driven motivation doesn't work as well anymore. That is, since I'm [thankfully] reminded by others that I'm doing well (while nice) almost demotivates me as I become complacent.

I'm very internally competitive and really find very small personal goals really useful (i.e. instead of loose 5/10lbs in a month, focus on making it to X by next week). Not that I can't celebrate some victories, but this keeps my nose to the ground and focused on the end game. I'm stubborn and I want to feel and look healthy.

ETA: Also - watching documentaries on health/nutrition!!!! Keeps my mind on health even when I'm in a situation I could be snacking (i.e. watching TV). Like they say: "What you think about, you bring about"

Last edited by dehtripper; 07-24-2013 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Forgot something :)
dehtripper is offline   Reply With Quote