Old 06-30-2013, 03:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 158 / 153 / 135

Question How much faster do you lose weight with exercise?

Regular exercise has never been a part of my life. I do walk a lot, but cardio and weight training don't happen that often.

I guess what I need is motivation to exercise. I average 1400 calories a day, and lose about 1 lb a week... I wonder how much more I would lose if I worked in 30 minutes of cardio a day?

Part of my trouble is believing the estimates given for exercise. I always think they're way over estimating the number of calories burned... I biked at a moderate/somewhat vigorous pace for 50 minutes and had awful cramps after, but I didn't quite believe I'd burned an extra 450 calories like my app said I did. I know something is better than nothing, but I've always kind of poo poo'd exercise for weight loss. Maybe this is wrong.

So how much quicker do you lose weight with exercise?

Last edited by Liquorice; 06-30-2013 at 03:30 AM.
Liquorice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:19 AM   #2  
Pottymouth

S/C/G: 182.5/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Someone on here has said previously diet is for weight loss, exercise is for looking good. Diet makes you look good in clothes, exercise is what makes you look good naked.

I didn't start exercising regularly until about 6 weeks ago. I have lost weight previously through just diet alone and I always HATED exercise with a passion but that's because I think I was trying to keep up with everyone in the gym or doing stuff because I thought I should do it and I got burned out and miserable.

I found I prefer to exercise alone mostly where no one can see me. I got a used fluidity bar (yes the one from the cheesy infomercial) for 80 bucks on craigslist and went to town in my basement. I found something I really like doing- I think that's the key. You need to find an exercise you enjoy and actually like doing (it doesn't sound like you're crazy about the bike). I did this for 3 or so weeks and at about this point in time EVERYONE and I mean everyone started coming up to me at work and saying how awesome I looked. I went down a scrub size and all my coworkers, docs, and transporters even started complimenting me left and right on how great my legs were looking how skinny I was getting and how awesome my butt was looking (we are all friendly and I take it as a huge compliment that my coworkers are now staring at and mesmerized by my butt ). When I was dieting alone and dropping way more pounds on the scale no one said a word, when I started toning up with exercise that's when the compliments started a-flowing!

I started the C25K jogging program 3 weeks ago to add in some cardio and actually while I was doing running my weight loss on the scale stalled out and I actually gained weight due to water retention but I looked better and my clothes fit better. Finally the scale let go of all that water retention this week due to time and a little illness (yikes I'll spare ya the details on that one). Even though I hardly lost any "weight" on the scale (maybe 6 pounds) I went down 2 sizes. 2! When I was dieting alone I had to lose about 25 pounds before going from a 14 to a 12 and no one freaking noticed and it took agonizing 3-4 months. A month and a half with exercise and only a 6 lb shift on the scale and I'm into a size 8 like that and looking and feeling great.

Sorry for the novel. Can you tell night shifters who are awake on their nights off are bored and go a little stir crazy with no one to talk to But to get to your original question while you may technically "lose" more on the scale alone with diet due to water retention exercise may cause, if you incorporate exercise you're going to be smaller faster (use a tape measure and your clothes as your guide).

And I never believe those calories burned calculators either; they always seem so off. I think the only really accurate way to find calories burned is with a heart rate monitoring device. I don't exercise so much that I think I'm burning crazy amounts of additional calories so I don't worry about how many I burn or factor that in (it's probably like 250 at the max daily) I just think of it as bonus and don't really adjust my eating around it.

Of course everyone is different but that's just a little about me. Minimal exercise (we're talking a 30 minute a day commitment 5 times a week) has changed my body leaps and bounds. It probably would have taken me 3 times as long with just diet alone to fit in the size clothing I do now and I probably would have been squishier and lumpier and not looked as good

Take it from a reformed exercise hater (bad middle school gym experiences-oy!) that it really is a great thing to do for you and your body. Start slowly, work your way up, and don't try to do too much too fast. Find something you like and will want to do on a regular basis and I promise it will have you looking and feeling great much quicker than just the diet alone.
TraumaNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:52 AM   #3  

Thanks so much for the tips... you've already sold me. I've been wanting to work out for a lot of different reasons (health, depression, and of course looks,) but I have trouble sticking to anything that's good for me!

I actually enjoy biking because I get a chance to listen to my music... it's more than I'm a couch potato. lol Every year I end up dropping the ball. It's been a long long winter here and I really neglect to take care of myself. I'm also more of an outdoor person, but never found a winter activity I liked... While I like indoor biking to an extent, it would be boring if that's all I ever did. I get depressed a lot and just feel like vegging out all day...but I know in my head that exercise would help get me moving again.

Right now I feel motivated, and will try to do vigorous activity a few times a week... I'm just scared of dropping the ball. But if it really changes how I look that much, hopefully I'll get hooked. My main reason for losing weight is that hardly any of my summer clothes fit me anymore.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 245/161/140

Height: 5'3"

I will say working out has made me appear as if I weigh less. Plus, excercise helps burn that extra fuel, so it sure cant hurt!
Scondy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

In my case exercise has completely stalled my weight loss efforts. I started my "diet" November 1st, the weather was getting pretty cold so I stopped running outside pretty soon afterwards and completely focused just on my diet. By April 1st I had lost about 33 pounds and was quite proud and feeling I'd be at my goal in no time.

Because the weather was warming up I started running outside again, I did C25K for 8 weeks outside and I also did a bunch of other random strength exercises and other cardio. Fast forward to June 1st and I lost another 6 pounds in those two months. Not the greatest but still alright. June 1st I decided to join the gym because I wanted to get fit. Since then I've gained and lost the same 2 pounds over and over again. I actually put on weight from June 1st to today and that is eating at a calorie deficit.

Having said all of that, I'm not about to run to the gym and hand my membership in. In the last 3 months while my weight loss has slowed right down my measurements have continued to gone down and overall I'm feeling healthier and have more energy.

If you want to lose weight it's all (well 85%) about your diet. However if you want to get healthy/fit it's all about exercise.
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:51 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

I started exercising after I lost close to 40 pounds and since I started my losses have slowed way down. I went from 8-10 pounds per month to 4 or 5. But I feel great and look so much better. I really think it is very healthy and an important part of my new lifestyle. But I actually kind of wish I had waited until I was maybe 25 pounds from goal bc I'm going crazy w the pace of things now.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:29 AM   #7  

Thanks everyone for chiming in. I guess what I'll do is keep exercising, but whip out the old tape measure. I totally would miss seeing smaller numbers on the scale, but I would still like my old size 4 back!! Looking good in the mirror should be more important than looking good on the scale, or so I tell myself.. lol
Old 07-01-2013, 07:14 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 230/202.2/150

Height: 5'5"

I have been tracking calories for exactly a month and also exercising six days a week. I lost 16.2 lbs in that time. I'm sure exercising helped with such a quick weight loss. Also, I feel SO good after I workout and I notice my tummy, legs, and bum getting firmer. It's a really good feeling. Once you get going, exercising is actually really addictive. I find myself missing it if I skip a day.
shutterbugmama84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #9  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

Before my weight stalled for several months (I eased up on my dieting and exercise), I was running 2-3 miles 3-5 times a week (it only took me 20-30 minutes a day). I think I shrunk faster then than I ever have before, and I felt healthier. I think my weight loss was pretty steady (in that it would stall for like a week, then I'd drop 1-4 lbs suddenly). So yes, I do think exercise can help speed weight loss a bit.

But now that I am getting back into losing weight, I'm worried that my mental state is still a bit fragile for exercise. I know it will cause a weight gain (in water, though) for a while and that my weight loss may slow due to muscle gain or water retention. I know what it is, and I KNOW it isn't fat gain, but I've always feared that no matter what I do, I can't lose weight (which is so untrue, but it still scares me).

For me, I just escaped the "decade" of weight that I had been stuck in for months (more than a year, I think), and if I start exercise now I'll bump back up into it. Emotionally, I can't take that just yet. So I'm waiting until I'm not as easily spooked by the scale (the scale isn't the best measure, but it's my only daily one), and then I'll start working out again. I loved running, and I'd love to do it again.

So, in short, if you want to exercise, definitely go for it! You'll probably shrink faster. And don't be scared by scale stall - it's not fat unless you're overeating. Hopefully I'll be joining you soon!
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 160/145/120

Height: 5'5"

Technically, a deficit of 3500 cal is equally to one pound of weight loss. So, if you did 30 min of cardio a day you would burn an average of 300 extra calories a day = 2100 cal a week. You could lose at least an extra 1/2 pound a week. If you added some resistance training as well you could burn a few more calories and also ensure that the weight you are losing is primarily fat and no muscle.

Muscle keeps it tight!
BrittBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 191/149/135

Height: 5'8

I have found exercise hurts my weight loss efforts.

I tend to be more hungry when I work out and eat more, crave more...I actually gained weight when I started working out.

I'm back to just dieting and the weight has melted off. It works best for me. But I look awful naked..so I know I need to hit the gym.
Mer du Japon is offline   Reply With Quote