Old 04-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 153.6/151.2/120

Height: 5'5

Default Your favorite low calorie meal at a restaurant... GO!

I want to play a little game/activity with my fellow fat chicks. What is your favorite low calorie meal when you go out to eat? Please list the restaurant, the calories, and anything else you think may be useful!

I work at the Olive Garden, so the good thing about that is not only do I get a discount, but I've tried almost everything on our under 550 calories menu! Almost.

My favorite is the Venetian Apricot Chicken... 400 calories for dinner, 290 for the lunch portion. Just FYI, you can order the lunch portion ANY time of day. It also comes with soup or salad... I don't eat salad, or any of the soups except gnochi but that's not very diet friendly at 250 calories per bowl. But if you do like veggie soups, we have a Minestrone that is 100 calories per bowl, so you can have a bowl of soup and a lunch side Venetian for only 390 calories! Which isn't horrible considering how awful a lot of places are for diets.

The thing to avoid is the breadsticks... I forget exactly how much they are but it's like 150-200 a piece. So I've got to try like **** to avoid their deliciousness and not be tempted to eat them in the kitchen at work like I usually do when I'm starving... woops.

If you're curious about the content of anything else on the menu, Google "Olive Garden Garden Fare Nutrition Guide" (I'm new so no links) and it has the calories for virtually everything on our menu.

What are your favorite diet friendly meals when you're eating out?
ashleyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #2  

The 99 Restaurant has a mushroom bleu top sirloin that is to die for!! I get it without the bleu since I don't like it but everything else, yum!!! And mine must be less than the 420 calories since that includes the cheese. This does not feel like diet food!

Here is the description from their site:
Mushroom Bleu Top Sirloin

A 6 oz. top sirloin steak is flame broiled and crowned with fresh sautéed mushrooms and a sprinkle of bleu cheese crumbles. Served with a grilled tomato and fresh broccoli. (420 Cal)
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Caesar salad (note: no chicken) from Panera Bread. Yummy and completely guilt free. 300 calories ish.

Last edited by IanG; 04-05-2013 at 12:56 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
The 99 Restaurant has a mushroom bleu top sirloin that is to die for!!
I'll have to google it but I don't think we have one of those around here.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Caesar salad (note: no chicken) from Panera Bread. Yummy and completely guilt free. 300 calories ish.

I wish I ate salad... not a big salad fan over here. Everyone else talks about how awesome it is for weight loss, but I hate veggies and salad. Although I'm going to try to open my horizons some... but I'm taking baby steps. I know myself and if I try to change my entire eating habits overnight, I will just quit.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 185/139/120

Height: 5'4"

Ashley, I've never been a huge veggie fan, but I'm starting to come around and my tastes are adjusting. Try your best to eat the ones you find tolerable and gradually try new ones / new ways of eating them. I still don't really eat raw plain veggies, but I do my best to incorporate them into all of my meals, and I am generally successful at it, without feeling like I'm forcing myself to eat them.
JessicaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

Panera bread yp2 lunch menu--creamy tomato bisque and Thai chicken salad. With my apple on the side and no croutons it comes in at 500-550 calories.
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

Oh and there were times at the beginning of my journey that I really wanted pizza so I would get the mini sweet pig pizza from BJ's brewery it was a personal pizza and it came in at around 450 cal --very good and I couldn't overeat it because it was a mini size.
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #9  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

I have been finding lately (probably because I am looking for them more) that there are a lot of big chain restaurants that offer special light and gluten free menus. And while some don't have a separate menu, they point out the lighter options.

For example, Ruby Tuesday has an entree I like called "Chicken Bella" which it designates as a "Fit & Trim" item. It comes with roasted spaghetti squash and grilled zuchini. It is 454 calories. But I always get the creamy sauce on the side (otherwise they put it on top of the chicken) and don't use all of it, so it is less calories. I take some of the saue and mix it into the spaghetti squash. This makes it very tasty - kinda like a pasta Alfredo. Otherwise, the squash is bland.

Mostly, my go-to entree when I go out for meals is grilled fish (whatever is fresh) with steamed veggies.

Last edited by joefla70; 04-05-2013 at 02:25 PM.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #10  
forever a lake effect kid

S/C/G: 262.6/181.3/162.6

Height: 5'4''

Every Monday afternoon, I walk to Panera and order a Pick Two with Garden Vegetable soup (100 calories) and the Fuji Apple Chicken salad with no cheese and no dressing (170 calories) and an apple for my side (65 calories). It comes out to 335 calories and 4 WW points.

I work at Famous Dave's and sadly there is very little that you can eat which is healthy. I stick with the grilled chicken sandwich, no bun and steamed broccoli as a side. Then I cut it up and mix it together with pepper and lemon. If you go to Famous Dave's, please be aware that both the corn bread muffins and one 2 oz ramekin of our ranch dressing are nearly 400 calories each!
epicskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:16 AM   #11  

Height: 5'2

For me its salmon steak or ostrich steak with asparagus salad, and to drink sparkling water with lemon...
size8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #12  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Quote:
If you're curious about the content of anything else on the menu, Google "Olive Garden Garden Fare Nutrition Guide
Not to bash on Olive Garden, because I love it, but it this months consumer reports there's an article about restaurants that when tested, the calories in their food are different than on the nutrition guide.

For example, Olive Garden lists it's Lasagna Primavera with chicken at 420 calories. When CR tested it, they found it anywhere from 508 - 585.

Some dishes were under calories there and at other restaurants. I guess the point is, just realize what you eat out can be over or under by 100 calories when you count it.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex View Post
Not to bash on Olive Garden, because I love it, but it this months consumer reports there's an article about restaurants that when tested, the calories in their food are different than on the nutrition guide.

For example, Olive Garden lists it's Lasagna Primavera with chicken at 420 calories. When CR tested it, they found it anywhere from 508 - 585.

Some dishes were under calories there and at other restaurants. I guess the point is, just realize what you eat out can be over or under by 100 calories when you count it.
Well, being an employee and knowing the specs of the item, the vegetable lasagna is made and sliced the exact same way in production (think the biggest prep part of a kitchen you've ever seen), so is the chicken which I'm 90 percent sure is weighed, so the culprit *has* to be whoever is making it being too happy with the sauce. So sliding the sauce over would eliminate all of that.

And the Venetian Apricot is just two small breasts, a little sauce, and broccoli/asparagus, so that one shouldn't "sway" so much. The Lasagna Prima depends a lot on how much sauce is used, and is a sauce heavy dish, so I could understand discrepancy on that one more based on how it's made
Old 04-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #14  
dirty labour daughter

S/C/G: 318/301/155

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
I eat this ALL the time when I'm on the go but with extra chicken and no croutons! Comes out to about 470 calories, 12g carbs, and 56 g protein.
merilung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

I've recently discovered a healthy alternative to pizza, which is my biggest weakness, without having to make it myself. A place called Your Pie just opened where I live and it's delicious! It's basically a Subway-style restaurant, except with pizza! Lots of fresh ingredients. Assuming the calories on their nutrition info are correct, the pizza I normally get (10 inch personal pizza) is between 400-500 calories. I get a veggie pizza with cheddar cheese and marinara. I seriously eat there like twice a week. It's great for when I'm craving a non-homemade pizza.
MedChick87 is offline   Reply With Quote