Old 03-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 190.8/see sig/<165

Height: 5 ft 11

CohesiveJen- I just read your post about your bf mentioning the girl you think is pretty at your gym being to tall. I just had a conversation with my husband a few nights ago that had me feeling some of my old teenage angst insecurities all over again! My husband is 6'2" and a big guy. He lifts weight religiously and has really broad shoulders and a big frame. Even though his ex wife isnt quite as tall as I am she is like 5' 7" so not a short woman either. So my stepdaughter is the tallest kid in her class and she has been for years now. She is super cute, but she does love the sweets too much and at 10 her mom and my husband have begun to get kinda worried that she's past the age of baby fat being the excuse. Anyways he was mentioning about how he worries about her growing so tall and that it reminds him of this tall woman he works with and how he doesn't want to see her grow that big and tall and that it could make it difficult for her dating life in the future. I was ready to strangle him! I do want to say that my DH is actually a very loving and caring man and please dont judge him based on these comments. He doesn't generally sound like such an a$$

Anyways feeling vunerable about recently gaining weight I took huge offense to those comments. "What's wrong with being tall?!" I demanded. "Well honey your not tall like that. I dont think of you as tall" Excuse me when at 5'11" is a woman not tall! And I thought men liked long legs and that some, not all, but that alot of men found a tall woman really attractive. I mean look at models.

He didn't agree he said most men liked petite women, and that he wasn;t talking about me at all and I shouldn't take it that way. He loves me and finds me very attractive and blah blah blah. And he wasn;t talking about himself either. Just that in general her dating life would be easy if she weren't super tall. But seriously? Nothing against shorter women. I think petite shorter women are beautiful too. But growing up feeling like a giant who was taller than all the boys wasn't the easiest way to enter the teen years. And now that I'm almost 30 (and while a bit overweight now) very much accepting my height as something i should apprieciate for it's advantages, here is my own husband voicing concerns about his daughter being too tall. ALso it doesnt help that a few years before we met he dated and was dumped by a girl he works with. Not that hes not over her, but it's the only time he was dumped instead of doing the dumping. AND she is a tiny petite probably size two woman.

Sheesh!!! talk about making me feel like a big unattractive giant. I was hoping I left those feelings when I go into my 20's...

Again I dont mean any offense to tall ladies or short ladies out there. I think all sizes are beautiful. The point is that since I am tall I would hope that I am am own husbands type! And quite frankly when you are tall you can never be short, so to hear a woman that is something you can never be is what your mans attracted to is not happy news.
wannaBfitnessbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #17  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

It is difficult to date in your teens as a tall girl, but a lack of confidence makes it much worse. Your husband should be focused on her health and confidence and then height won't be as much of an issue.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #18  

S/C/G: IDK

Height: 5'9

ay ay tell me about it. there are only short guys around where i live right now and girls too, i basically hover over them all the time. you can spot me from a 500 m in the crowd and people always stare at me.*sings* don't hate me cuz i'm beautiful but i like it, it makes me feel strong and i stand out of the crowd but i feel boys are a bit intimidated by my height and my weight, maybe when i loose a few pounds things will get better.

and as everyone says it's not about the appearance it's about the personality
missunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 178/163/150

Height: 5'8"

wannaBfitnessbuff- I TOTALLY hear you on that one! Story of my life!How tall your husband's daughter is going to be is totally out of control so I say there are other things to worry about...And certainly you're not the most appropriate person to share his "tall girl' worries with! I'm sure he didn't mean anything bad by it but still..those insecurities do creep up!
CohesiveGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 189.4/173.8/150

Height: 6'

Ahh!!! Some tall girls!! Im only 18, and like you said, yes dating is hard in your teen years! Ive never had a real boyfriend because all the boys at my high school are shorter than me (im not exaggerating, like for reals they are so short) and so while all my best friends are out dating like crazy im just rocking being 18 and single! whoop! haha I used to be really insecure about it growing up, but now there is no height I would rather be than 6feet! I absolutely love it!! Its so great to see this tall girls thread going again.
KatieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:46 PM   #21  
waisting away

S/C/G: Too Much/Getting There/Healthy

Height: 5' 8"

So, here I feel short, but in the general population I feel tall (but not giant). In any case, I will go ahead and assume you all won't kick me out.

I was talking to a group of girls recently about getting in shape and one of my coworkers - I'd estimate an even 5 ft tall - said "at one point I was almost 150 lbs. Can you believe that? I feel so much better now that I've lost." She looked around like anyone at 150 would be mammoth. Does it annoy you that short people don't understand normal weight ranges for taller women?

Last edited by gatorgirl6; 03-20-2013 at 09:39 PM.
gatorgirl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 178/167/147

Height: 5"10

Hi vertically gifted ladies!!! A bonus of tall---kids who can kill it at sports my hubby loves I am tall cuz he is a sports fanatic and wants tall kids for sports! I lucked out. And when we do gain weight it hides better! But I do need to lose 10 pounds and get hungry a Lot....which I blame on being tall! Good luck everyone!
Rintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 189.4/173.8/150

Height: 6'

wannaBfitnessbuff, I was wondering what size you are? we have around the same starting weights and the same heights almost and so I am just curious as to what size you are wearing
KatieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 190.8/see sig/<165

Height: 5 ft 11

Checking in! How is everyone doing?

It's nice to have people who know where you are coming from. Now with some space between the conversation I'm no longer peturbed at my DH and his comments. I know that if he thought even for a moment that I would feel he meant in anyway he didn't find me as attractive because of my height he wouldn't have said it too me. I think that she is a beautiful girl and is so outgoing and funny that even if she is 7 feet tall she will find boys to date. He should probably be worrying more about how many might want to really!

gatorgirl- This is so true! As a tall woman 150 is well inside the healthy weight range and nothing even remotely close to being over weight. I heard once that a rule of thumb is 5 lbs per inch as far a weight on height. So 150 on 5 foot would be kinda like 190 on 5'8"? This is far from a perfect system though. Just think of all the ladies on here and how even in the same height range weights can be so different on individuals. But yeah she may try to lose down to 110 or 120 lbs, where most ladies who are taller would look too thin at that weight.

I haven't done too well to stay on plan the last few days. Today is a good step in the right direction though. It was so nice and bright and sunny yesterday that I decided to try on my "fat shorts" I had bought in a larger size last summer. By the end of the summer they were starting to get loose. I figured they are the only shorts I have that will fit me at this point and tried them on. They were too tight! I have to say while depressing it was also extremely motivating. So today I prepared both breakfast and lunch and snacks ahead of time. Also I have planned what times I am eating them today. Dinner is at a friends house. They are a fairly health conscious couple and generally make healthier food. But to be safe I saved plenty of calories. So I just need to keep myself distracted so I don't eat anything not pre planned for, or eat too much of the food at any one time leaving too small amount for later. I hope to see at least the same weight by weigh in day on monday. The last week I skipped weigh in and in all honestly know I'm probably back up a few lbs. Time to get on track and make this happen!
wannaBfitnessbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #25  
Starting over sucks.

I was doing really well this week... but I've had 3 donuts today...

I'm actually noticing my height again this week. I was so big for so long that I never felt tall when I'd see my reflection. Now I look and all I see is wow, she's really tall!
Old 03-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 200/167/150

Height: 5'10

Another tallie here! At 5'10", I've always been a bigger girl. I never got the "wow you are sooo tall, you should be a model!" due to my size in other places. I gained more in college, then lost 30 lbs! I went down another 10 in the last few years, but 5 of those fluctuate. I'm in the upper range of my "maintaining" weight right now, due to the last few months. But I'm kicking it back into gear because I need to see 160 again! Then I can focus on my true goal (a weight I have NEVER seen as an adult): 150! Just wanted to say HII
Andrea85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 178/167/147

Height: 5"10

Just a general question...any of you ladies wear heels? I always shy away from but with summer all the shoes with heels are so cute!
Rintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 187/180/150

Height: 5'10''

I absolutely wear heels-- my favorite pair of shoes are my knee-high boots with 3 inch heels. I figure, if I'm already taller than most people anyway, why not really own it?
synchrojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:26 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 275/209/190

I've been plus size since the second grade. I got to 6'0 by the time I was in the 7th grade. By high school, I was wearing a size 22 in jeans and a 2x in shirts. I hated it. I got motivated back in 2005 to lose weight. I lost about 65 pounds and got down to 216 pounds. I gave up and gained the weight back. Right now, I'm the smallest I've been since elementary school. My weight thing underneath my picture may say I'm 216 right now but I just haven't updated it. I haven't weighed myself in over a week and I know I've lost some weight since then. It's definitely noticeable.

I just have a question for yall. My goal weight is 190 lbs. I kind of have an hourglass shape to my body. My thighs are pretty skinny and not really thick. I have to wear about a 35" inseam in jeans. I was wondering if anyone has been at that weight, with the same body shape, etc......What size of jeans did you wear? Not to be rude or anything. I'm just trying to see where I will be at by the time I get there.
LadyP2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:00 AM   #30  
Starting over sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rintin View Post
Just a general question...any of you ladies wear heels? I always shy away from but with summer all the shoes with heels are so cute!
I cannot walk in them. At. All.