Old 02-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

Default Color Run! What do I need to know?

I signed up for my first color run! I'm excited and nervous all at once.

Since I've never done any sort of 5k or anything like that before....any tips?
What do I need to know about the color run specifically? I know the website has information, but I also know some of y'all have participated in them!

Luckily, I have about 2 and a half months to get ready for it. Woo!
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 280/265/140

Height: 5'6

AH!

I'm so excited for you. I've always wanted to do the color run. My bf's sister did the color run in FL. I've only ever done a muddy buddy run, which is really gross, but ALOT of fun.

Just make sure you're prepared. Start now with your training.

I did the muddy buddy run with my bf and his sister, and his mom. That was also during a time when I fell into a hole with not exercising and had even been smoking for some months. Needless to say, it was really hard for me. Had I actually been training for it, it I think it would have been a lot less of a struggle.

So just train! Build stamina.
I can't say anything specifically about the color run, but I AM excited for you. I want to run that run once I am able to do so without wanting to stab my boyfriend for running alongside me with a cheery motivational yell. ;D
birdtostone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #3  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

Don't open your mouth at the color stations or finish line!!! That stuff tastes awful!
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #4  
dirty labour daughter

S/C/G: 318/301/155

Height: 5'10"

I SO want to do this but the Saint Louis run is sold out, boo! I signed up for the VIP list and I'm crossing my fingers for some extra openings!
merilung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:25 AM   #5  
bee

S/C/G: 265.5/240/160

Height: 5'7"

Hey Quiet!! A couple of my friends are doing it too!! I'm really excited. It's our first 5k. I'm doing C25k!! I can't wait!
beahawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #6  

A new friend invited me to join her team, so I'll be doing it with a team of 5 or 6 others.

One thing I am curious about: I wear glasses. I'm wondering if I should wear my prescription sunglasses when I run instead, since they're bigger/can protect my eyes better? I know some people wear eye protectors. I almost never wear contacts (not even sure i have any).

ChickieChicks Ha thank you! I thought that it would probably taste pretty gross.

merilung the one closest to me (DC) sold out really early on, so we're doing one about 2 hours away in Baltimore.

bea Hey! I'm going to pop back into the chats soon. And yes, I'm excited for it.

Last edited by Quiet Ballerina; 02-23-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #7  
bee

S/C/G: 265.5/240/160

Height: 5'7"

What would you be protecting your eyes from?

and the chat can get exhausting to keep up with, but somehow I always do some much better with it than with out.
beahawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 140/137/125

Height: 5'5

I did one in Memphis, TN with two friends-it was REALLY fun!!
I will say, this is NOT the race to try to PR. It's really packed. They start people in waves (I think 500 at a time?), so although it says the race starts at a particular time, you may not get to start for awhile after that-it probably took us about 30 minutes after the actually start time before we started. Also, they do not time this event. It's just for fun. There are a ton of people who aren't really runners/didn't train for it who are just doing it for fun. Which is really awesome that they're doing it, but if your goal is to run, it can be hard to weave in and out, especially at the beginning. My friends and I managed to jog most of it. We walked through the color stations because those are just FUN-if you want more color, stay to the sides, if you want less color, go to the middle. We wanted alot of color!! Also, you probably already know this, but wear a white tshirt!!

Have fun!! It really is a great run!!

Last edited by summerkate83; 02-23-2013 at 08:17 PM.
summerkate83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #9  

What does PR mean?

I definitely wasn't aiming for a 'best time' or anything. Thanks for letting me know though! I do want to at least walk fast/jog for most of it if I'm able to with the crowd.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #10  
It's me, Ashleyyy!

S/C/G: 291/~/185

Height: 5'8"

Personal Record
smashlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #11  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Do a training programme! It'll prep you for the race so you feel awesome on the day instead of feeling like you're going to die ;p.

Definitely close your mouth when the colours are thrown at you! I've never done it myself, but that stuff can't taste good!!

But get excited!
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #12  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Everyone keeps trying to talk me into the Color Run, but I HATE things touching my face so I refuse to do it.

As far as prep for 5ks go, do the C25K, it's ideal for beginners and will help you a lot. On the actual race day you'll probably run/jog/walk faster than you expect because of the adrenaline and just the group atmosphere. Take it all in and just have fun. If you stress yourself out you won't want to keep doing them. I love the race day feeling.

And yes, I'd wear sunglasses!

Last edited by SoMuchFattitude; 02-25-2013 at 10:13 AM.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #13  

Great! Thanks for all the feedback.

My thought process with the sunglasses was also: I'll be a LOT less upset if something happens to my sunglasses. If something happens to my glasses, they're my only pair and I need them everyday.

And Bea, I was thinking I'd want to protect my eyes from the color that gets thrown. Even though they try to aim low...I'm shorter than many so there's a good chance I run the risk of getting it in my face at least a little.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:18 PM   #14  
Moostacular

I just did a color run back in the beginning of Feb! It was fun and exhausting! Mine was up a lot of hills.. and down a lot of hills.. and back up hills! Yikes! Didn't really train for hills!

Sunglasses are a great idea. I bought a pair there because they were so cute and they definitely kept my eyes protected from the powder . The only other real big tip I have is don't wear anything you really love, the color can stain. The inside of my sports bra was white.. and now it's orange . Everything else people mentioned is pretty on par! Be prepared to wait, to weave, and to swish and spit! The color turns brown black when wet...

They also have lots of stuff you can buy and accept credit cards I stuffed mine into my sports bra for safe keeping

I would have posted a picture of me at the end.. but 3fc says I have not enough posts oh well
WTF Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #15  

I am also going to be a part of color run event happening in sacramento soon. It will be my first color run. I am also really so exited about this. If you also want to know about the upcoming events the register with body on the move and get updated automatically.
bishtanoop is offline   Reply With Quote