3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   Vitamins. Do you take them? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/273471-vitamins-do-you-take-them.html)

oksoitsjen 01-15-2013 11:12 AM

Vitamins. Do you take them?

I am 25. Just starting my weight loss journey. Should I be taking vitamins? Am I at that age? And if so, what should I be taking? Do you take vitamins? What do you take and what is it for?!

Thanks so much!!!

Song of Surly 01-15-2013 11:34 AM

I take a GNC multi-vitamin every day, just because I caught a huge sale on them. I suspect that I pee out most of it (like NEON YELLOW for tmi), and I haven't really noticed feeling any better since I've started taking them. This is not a very medical opinion of whether one should take vitamins or not, but just my experience. I think that they really can't hurt (unless you take too much of a vitamin that builds up in your system), and they might help if you're deficient in something.

I have considered taking an Omega 3 vitamin due to some issues with my hair and fingernails. I know I don't get enough of my good fat during the day. I think that if you feel like you're probably not getting enough of a certain vitamin, taking those, rather than expensive multi-vitamins, might be a good option.

danzingurl77 01-15-2013 11:38 AM

I take a GNC womens vitamin daily also- especially when I am eating in a calorie-deficit. Have you ever watched the documentary "Forks over Knives"? It talks a lot about the benefits of vitamins-

I feel better when I am taking them- it very well could be a placebo-effect, but if nothing else- I don't think that there is any harm in taking a muliti-vitamin. :-)

krampus 01-15-2013 01:11 PM

I take gummy multivitamins daily and take more than the recommended dosage. They are high in Vitamin D and really help with winter blues.

beachlover86 01-15-2013 01:41 PM

I take a women's one a day(multi vitamin), biotin for hair,skin,nails. B12 for energy. And after recent check up I'm taking an additional D. As I was low on my bloodwork. I've always taken the multi so can't say whether I feel better but just want to make sure I'm getting all my nutrients. Have noticed a huge difference since taking the biotin.

pinkalarmclock 01-15-2013 02:00 PM

Yes. I take a Woman's Active Mind & Body multivitamin. I was taking a Super B complex vitamin too (B vitamins are really important for me because I have poor executive functioning), but I'm taking a break to see how my mind feels because that multivitamin is a new one that has more B in it. There is ginseng and caffeine in the vitamin, which helps me mentally as well. I don't eat much dairy or meat, so the calcium and iron (and whatever else comes in those things) are important. I also am an indoor dweller, so the Vitamin D is important.

I take cranberry pills because I get a lot of UTIs.

I use to take Omega 3s when I went veg but I don't think I need it now because I love seafood and drink a chocolate milk (after workouts :) ) that has added Omega 3s. Although, I do try to make sure I'm getting enough fat (for brain health) because for some reason I just don't eat much fat (surprisingly lol).

I also take Tyrosine, which is to help with my executive functioning. It is completely unnecessary for someone who doesn't have that issue. Although if there is anything you have trouble with (sleeping, wakefulness) and changing your diet hasn't helped significantly, I think it could help to cater to that with dietary supplements. My vitamins and dietary supplement really help me mentally.But do your research, you might already be getting what you need in your diet and it just be a complete waste of money. Or the dietary supplement might not actually do much and it's just theorized it helps in some way (lol). Plus, never listen to things that say "oh it's natural so it's safe" :/. Some things aren't good for you despite being natural. HAHA Just research is what I'm saying! :)

chubbiegurl 01-15-2013 02:20 PM

Yes I do. I take
Magnesium to help me sleep
Iron every few days cause I used to sometimes test anemic
Olive leaf to fight off colds and infections
Cayenne for the same reason and helps digestion, your heart and pain
Folic acid cause I have been losing hair like crazy since my Brazilian blowout. Not so much since taking it
Green tea extract for antioxidants and weight I hear
Potassium to reduce my leg cramps
Calcium well for calcium with d for absorption
Flax seed for cholesterol, diabetes, inflammation, constipation, and helps my depression.
Omega reds cause I need my omegas and hate fish. Also same uses as flax
Chlorophyll cause I love that my sweat and poop don't smell as bad
Chia seeds cause they keep me regular are loaded with fiber and to much more to list
Chlorella contains so many vitamins helps boost immune system, cholesterol, diabetes, constipation, cancer, hormone balance ++++++
Spirulina for detox, cholesterol, immune system, heart, digestive health, reducing cancer and so much more
The last two have enough protein for a vegitarian to supplement these
I also take coconut oil to speed metabolism, softer skin and hair, weight loss, digestion, liver, kidney , stress, bones and dental care

I know it sounds like a lot but I have a huge pill holder that I refill once a week. I used to wake up swollen and tired, now I love morning and have way more energy.

Mozzy 01-15-2013 02:28 PM

I use to take prenatals everyday, but they started to taste funny to me (weird I know) so I switched to flintstones. I'm going to go back to the prenatals soon because I want another baby soon.
If children are on your mind AT ALL, consider taking a prenatal to build up your vitamin stores, especially folic acid.

merilung 01-15-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mozzy (Post 4591691)
I use to take prenatals everyday, but they started to taste funny to me (weird I know) so I switched to flintstones. I'm going to go back to the prenatals soon because I want another baby soon.
If children are on your mind AT ALL, consider taking a prenatal to build up your vitamin stores, especially folic acid.

They sell gummy pre-natals at target, which is what I take as they're the only prenatal I can stomach. You'll have to take an additional iron supplement with them if you need iron, though.

SMSDREAMER2007 01-15-2013 03:40 PM

I take a prenatal for my PCOS / Hair/Nails
Fish oil for insulin resistance, hair /nails
Cinnamon for Insulin resistance
Chromium for metabolism
Vitamin D for insulin resistance and lack of sun, also calcium absorption
Calcium for bone health

I also have Flax seed I put in my food sometimes for added fiber.

vabs 01-15-2013 03:56 PM

I take a Bayer Women's One a Day. Not that I have brand loyalty, they were just on sale lol. No idea if it's helping anything, but they're cheap enough that's it's okay if they don't. It seems very possible I don't get all the vitamins and minerals I need on my diet, so it's just insurance.

I also take a fish oil omega-3 most days (sometimes I forget). I just found out that wal-mart sells a twin pack of Spring Valley Omega 3 Fish Oil for $6 (it's 200 soft gels altogether!) so that's the brand I take now. Again, I don't know if they're really helping anything, there's evidence omega-3 supplements do and do not help.

merilung 01-15-2013 04:00 PM

Oh man, if we're getting into all the supplements we take...
gummy prenatals
gummy vitamin C (during the sick season, anyway. probably doesn't help but can't hurt!)
elderberry syrup (during cold/flu season only)
fermented cod liver oil
vitamin D3 (4000 IU)
sublingual B12 (1000 mcg)
kyolic aged garlic (2400 mg)
royal jelly (1500 mg equivalency)
cayenne pepper (450 mg)

I also still take fertilitea (vitex, green tea, and red raspberry leaf tea) and evening primrose oil pretty regularly even though we're not really trying to conceive any more at this point!

Radiojane 01-15-2013 04:09 PM

I take a generic Costco prenatal - I just finished a fancy jar of powdered vitamins that are supposed to have more polyphenals, but it was a pain in the butt remembering and boiling the water.

I also take prescription grade fish oils, these help with everything from weight to mood to condition of skin. I also eat a lot of natural sources of omega 3

I take coenzyme q 10. Originally, I started taking this because I heard it might help keep my skin firm after weight loss, but it's actually good for my moderately high blood pressure so I continue taking it.

I take biotin because the weight loss freaked my system out and I was losing a lot of hair. No idea if the improvement came from the biotin, because i haven't experimented enough.

I also take L - Carnitine and kelp water. The Kelp water for iodine and other nutrients, the carnitine to help with my recoveries after workouts.

But I always, and I can't stress this enough, try to eat food as nutrient packed as possible. There is no better source of vitamins than food.

merilung 01-15-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radiojane (Post 4591880)
I take coenzyme q 10. Originally, I started taking this because I heard it might help keep my skin firm after weight loss, but it's actually good for my moderately high blood pressure so I continue taking it.

How has this worked for you so far? I've considered adding in some CoQ10 for other things, but if it will help keep my skin in good condition as I lose weight that might be thing to push me over the edge between considering it and buying it!

shelflife 01-15-2013 05:12 PM

Vitamin D - 1000U daily (I buy the chocolate chewy ones)
Krill Oil (less fishy taste and better bioavailability than fish oil)