3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   Why do I need instant gratification? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/271910-why-do-i-need-instant-gratification.html)

ilovemo 12-24-2012 03:54 PM

Why do I need instant gratification?

Hi all,

Why is it that if I workout for a week or two and dont see results, I feel really discouraged. Even though I know I wont lose 50 lbs in 2 weeks, I still feel really down if I dont see results right away.. How do you guys jump through this hoop? :?:

Mozzy 12-24-2012 03:57 PM

Our culture excepts instant gratification... It's something we all struggle with.
You gotta retrain yourself to look at the "big" picture.
I didn't gain 80 lbs overnight, I can't expect to lose it overnight.

thewalrus0 12-24-2012 04:21 PM

I also look at other, more immediate benefits, of eating healthier. I get frequent heartburn. I'm talking full on heartburn, daily, if I'm eating badly. It actually disrupts my sleep and gives me night terrors. My heartburn goes away almost immediately when I am eating healthier and in smaller amounts.

Exercise gives me a physical outlet. I become very tense with stress and I don't realize it until I'm stretching out, either doing yoga or hula hooping. After a workout I usually feel much more relaxed.

When I eat better and exercise I sleep better and have more energy and more focus and this just seem brighter, with or without the immediate weight loss.

energie 12-24-2012 05:12 PM

I just keep picturing myself at goal and how great I will look and feel. Most days it works.

beachbella85 12-24-2012 06:33 PM

also, I take my inches...I have a tape measure and if you are doing weight training/strength training...you can perceive wee bits of an inch coming off at a time...

when I do strength training, I always lose inches before I can actually see weight coming off on the scale...so just saying, if its really getting to you, take your measurements and then at the end of the week, take them again and you will see some progress..even if its just a centimeter..lol...

Pink Hurricane 12-25-2012 08:16 AM

There are so many different ways to notice your body changing by staying consistent throughout a period of time. You have to give yourself at least a month on a new plan to really see some benefits begin in the weight loss department. I highly suggest taking your measurements too. It's hard because everyone wants instant gratification but that is one thing that is hard to see. Each time I eat healthy food I imagine my body thanking me for it because I am fueling it instead of trashing it and they way I feel makes a huge difference. Also I constantly picture myself at goal and the way I would feel finally achieveing that!

baker23 12-25-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Our culture excepts instant gratification... It's something we all struggle with
^ That

It may be a good idea to focus on goals not related to the scale...such as jogging a little further this week, or uping the intensity over a period of time. If you keep at it, you will see results and your body IS changing for the better. Keep in mind that sometimes its harder for us to see our bodies changing but others around us notice :)

DecemberSun 12-26-2012 12:26 AM

I'm the same way. It's tough! :( It's indeed very discouraging.