Old 12-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 245/161/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiya Wasi View Post
Scondy,

What part of Texas are you in? If there's a Central Market near you it's a great place to buy good quality fruits and veggies and their meat section is awesome. They also have a LOT of coffee in the bulk section so you can try out different ones without committing to one before you know if you like it, and I think the labels on the canisters have a calorie count. Plus if you decide you want to spice your own smoked salmon the herbs and spices in bulk are awesome too! My husband and I go and stock up on herbs and spices about once a month.
We're actually in the same city - but maybe not in the same area. I'm closer toward the Addison/North Dallas area of time. I don't remember seeing a Central Market, but I have seen a Whole Food store and Aldi's. I'll map out the nearest Central Market. Thanks for the heads up!
Scondy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #17  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
i have no idea how to multi-quote, lol
Keep in mind, i dont know your doctors specific diet for you

Re Cooking Sprays- Calorie wise, they are all the same. it does not matter if you use canola/veggie oil/olive oil. Oil/fat has 9 cals per gram. And the spray cooking oils are NOT calorie free. Even though they advertise as such.

Generally,cals/serving are pre-cooked. Anything out of a box (unless it says other-wise) will be the dried, uncooked cal count. Same for chicken breast and such. 4 oz= 120 cals of RAW chicken breast.

Coffee- as long as you are talking about ground, roast coffee, even the flavored ones (like hazelnut or french vanilla) are still essentially calorie free. I believe Keurig makes some cups that are chai-tea/latte type things that do have calories because they are meant to be made from/with milk. Check the label if in doubt. But any "canned" black coffee is going to be zero cals

Smoke-Salmon-- sorry, i cant tell you what to do here. Theres no reason you CANT use pre-seasoned stuff, unless you are avoiding things like sodium/sugar. Pre-seasoned foods like that tend to be high in both those items. You can control better what ingredients to use if you season yourself, of course

Dont know if any of that helped without knowing more about your diet
Wow, those Cooking Spray cans are such liars. >.< Here I thought I was being very good, even though I was a bit surprised it housed no calories. I hope that it won't effect my week thus far. As far as the other information I truly appreciate it - especially about the smoked salmon. I'll make sure to do a better comparison job next time before I go grocery shopping.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #18  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
I find a recipe I like, make the entire amount, and package it in as many servings as it makes (often 4-6 for a family). I then write the recipe, date, and calorie count on the container when I put it in to freeze. It saves me time and energy, and I basically can't fail. Another positive is that it's much harder to go back for "another bite" when you have to heat up an entire second serving.

The only things that I've found don't freeze well are mushrooms (mushroom soup is awful and gummy post-freezing) and dairy-based foods.
Thank you for this information! I am going to pick up some zip lock bags and do this in the near future. I like your labeling idea - and I LOVE LABELS.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:40 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 250.8/245.0/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scondy View Post
We're actually in the same city - but maybe not in the same area. I'm closer toward the Addison/North Dallas area of time. I don't remember seeing a Central Market, but I have seen a Whole Food store and Aldi's. I'll map out the nearest Central Market. Thanks for the heads up!

I live in Addison! That's so funny!

There's a Central Market on Preston and Royal. It's small-ish but good if you need something quick. I LOVE the one on Coit and Mapleshade that one has the best bulk section.
Wiya Wasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiya Wasi View Post
I live in Addison! That's so funny!

There's a Central Market on Preston and Royal. It's small-ish but good if you need something quick. I LOVE the one on Coit and Mapleshade that one has the best bulk section.
Yay! Addison is the best. I'm glad I have someone here who may have an understanding the horrors of driving down Beltline where any restaurant you may want is well within reach. YIKES! I went to the Kroger on Coit to try and find my groceries. I normally shop at Walmart, but I thought I'd change it up a little. I'll try out Central Market!

Last edited by Scondy; 12-10-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:41 PM   #21  
SE Asia, baby

S/C/G: 232/141/132

Height: 5'5

Not sure if this is an issue for you or not, but going to the grocery store hungry KILLS ME. If I go when I haven't eaten in awhile, or even worse, during my binge prone hours (4-6pm for me!) I always walk out with way too much of the wrong kind of foods. Not good for my body or my wallet.

Try to avoid the store when starving, but if you have to, make a list and stick to it, lady! :-)
graciegoose13 is offline   Reply With Quote