Old 11-16-2012, 10:51 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 212/199/135

Height: 5 ft 2.5 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriJ84 View Post
Public reminders are always the worst ( I will take the jumping into my jeans everyday reminder over public ones!
Tori, I totally agree public reminders are the worst!
heartinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #17  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojane View Post
This is going to make me sound like an awful person, but oh well: My boyfriend's cousin just lost the 60 some pounds she put on during pregnancy and today she posted a picture of her progress on facebook. We've lost the exact same amount of weight, but I still have 170 to go. I'm dreading that family Christmas because I know that everyone is going to be wowed by how good she looks and I'll get the equivilant of "sure you've lost weight too, sweetie." That really hit me hard because I can't see any visual progress most days.
Radiojane, Congratulations on your weight loss so far!
I don't think this makes you sound like an awful person at all. You just want to be recognized for your hard work also. I am sure that your family will note your amazing progress as well. It is difficult to notice visual progress on ourselves especially when we are dieting because we are looking at ourselves everyday constantly looking for changes.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #18  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSuchUser View Post
That RN was way out of line! Even at my highest weight of around 255lbs 115/74ish was a typical BP for me, it's possible to have great BP and not great weight!
NoSuchUser, I think what our lab technician (RN) was trying to say is that I do have normal, healthy BP but that some of the other students who are not as precise at taking BPs were getting higher readings because I have fat arms and that maybe a bigger BP cuff would aid them in getting more precise readings. Basically she was pointing out that I had fat arms. I don't think it was meant to be mean though (she is the sweetest lady). The thing that got me was that normal BP cuffs fit around my arms just fine with some room left over.

I understand what you are saying though, some health care providers think that it is impossible to be healthy if you are overweight.

Last edited by heartinoregon; 11-16-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:46 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 212/141/115

Height: 5'6

Hey guys! Just joined. Anyway, OP yes I can relate to what you are saying. So far I have lost 58 pounds (went from 212 to my current 154) and although I feel so much better physically, I still can't help but feel really fat. I don't have a specific example as to why, but I just wanted to share that. The closer and closer I get to my goal, it almost becomes more frightening. I fear that moment that I reach my goal and then what if I still don't feel good enough or thin enough? Being fat has always given me an excuse to have low self esteem, but once I'm thin, idk how I'll feel about myself. Being fat has always given me the opportunity to say, "hey well once I lose wight I'll be happier and this and that", but what if I'm not? Once I'm thin, how will I fix myself if I'm still not happy? Sorry about the tangent. I just had to get that out to someone. Does anyone feel the same way or understand where I'm coming from? Confusing, I know
justdoit82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:36 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 156/154/125

Height: 5'1.5"

For me, pictures are the main reminder that I am still fat. I dress to go to work and I think I look ok. Yet, when I see pictures of myself, and especially my whole body, it is quite the eye opener. As low as the number might sound, as a short person I really need to be around 110 to look normal.
happynottsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:13 AM   #21  

Height: 5'1

I would agree with happynottsgirl. For me, it is pictures also. I have lost weight and a good amount of inches since starting weight lifting. But looking over pictures people take of me, you can see there is definitely weight on me that I need to get rid of. On the plus side, with pictures and looking at ones of me now compared to a year ago or two years ago, I can see how much I have lost! But they still show what I need to get rid of.
Dreamer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:40 AM   #22  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

Height: 5'2"

Looking in the mirror and seeing the back of my thighs! Ohh they look so much better with pants on!
Roo2
Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/146

Height: 5'7''

Ugh, I understand completely. I have an identical twin sister who is about ten pounds lighter than me but looks much thinner, and I'm constantly getting people pointing that out. I think they just don't realize how rude it is!

Still, its good motivation if nothing else. (Thank GOD I have high self esteem (read: a huge ego) I could probably use the reminder to tone it down anyway)
Melonlefey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 155.2/ 133.1 /110

Height: 5'2

I've lost 20 pounds and my mother keeps reminding me asking me in a sourly tone: don't think you that sweater is too small for you? It's time to be realistic, sweety.
IsabellaOlivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #25  
Are we there yet?

S/C/G: 295/ticker/160

Height: 5'7''

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdoit82 View Post
I fear that moment that I reach my goal and then what if I still don't feel good enough or thin enough? Being fat has always given me an excuse to have low self esteem, but once I'm thin, idk how I'll feel about myself. Being fat has always given me the opportunity to say, "hey well once I lose wight I'll be happier and this and that", but what if I'm not? Once I'm thin, how will I fix myself if I'm still not happy?
I feel exactly the same way and am glad to know I'm not the only one! Admittedly, I have a ton of time to figure this out as I'm nowhere near goal, but I'm worried I still won't like myself even once I start nearing my goal weight - I'll just have no easy excuse for it anymore!
Patrizia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 232/216/145

Height: 5'10''

I'm sorry you have to hear that from your mother, @ IsabellaOlivia especially after such great progress in your weight loss.

That also ****ing sucks @ Melonlefey. I have a sister who is much thinner than I am and I've always been called the fat sister by strangers and family.

A huge reminder that I'm still fat happened a few days ago when I bought a new winter jacket. The good news is that it is a great looking jacket but I'm still an XL even after my almost 20 pound weight loss. I still have a long way to go.
Mimi21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #27  
pear shaped bunny

S/C/G: 152/149/110

Height: 158

i recently decided to be more serious with my weight loss regime so i bought a weighing scale to track my progress. prior to now, i've actually been exercising regularly for over a month and upped the ante in the past couple of weeks by doing about 8 to 10 hours of cardio per week. so i was feeling rather good about myself.

then i stepped on the scales and discovered that not only was i 10 pounds heavier than i thought, i was also heavier than i've ever been in my life.

it didn't help that the day before, my skinny friend wanted to get me apparel for birthday and couldn't veil her horror when i told her i was a UK14 for bottoms. she's a sweet girl, but she's like a UK4. i know she didn't mean it, but her reaction made me feel like a small whale. :c the scales definitely didn't help either.
bunnypear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 212/141/115

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrizia View Post
I feel exactly the same way and am glad to know I'm not the only one! Admittedly, I have a ton of time to figure this out as I'm nowhere near goal, but I'm worried I still won't like myself even once I start nearing my goal weight - I'll just have no easy excuse for it anymore!
I'm glad you understood! You are definitely not alone!
justdoit82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 250.8/245.0/145

Height: 5'5"

I got a painful reminder last night when I went to go buy some sassy new pants for my work holiday party this coming week- I grabbed a pair of pants the exact same size as the ones I was wearing, in the same store where I bought them just a year ago and they didn't even almost fit. I grabbed a few other sizes and compared them to the pants I was wearing already and they were comparable to a pair of jeans 4 SIZES BIGGER!

It was like a big punch in the gut.. especially since I was actually feeling pretty good about myself when I went into the store.
Wiya Wasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #30  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Yeah clothes shopping is disheartening. I'm at an awkward stage because my belly is sooooo huge still that my tops are loose up top and too tight/short on the bottom and my pants are two sizes too big on the legs. It's a constant reminder of how far I have it go to look good.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote